• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Can YouTube Be Fixed?!

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
YouTube is the penultimate search engine and premiere video hosting website on the internet, and as a subsidiary of Google I can not help but believe that the tech giant has the tools necessary to withstand the test of time. But a lot of competition has arisen over the years; platforms like Twitch, Tik Tok and StoryFire all aim to usurp YouTube by catering either to the gaming and livestream community, an ADD society in search of a quick-fix for entertainment or the passionate creators tired of murky, arbitrarily-enforced guidelines and an advertiser-first mentality.

I don't mean for any of that to sound condescending...

Not only do I enjoy my time on the platform and consider YouTube to be the best place for creators but I can imagine that it can be overwhelming to balance the fits of hundreds of millions of grumpy creators, the rigors of tight advertiser guidelines and restrictive/varied laws across international borders as well as developing and maintaining a competitive and ever-advancing product. I respect what they do and I appreciate the ability to collect any revenue at all, particularly considering the access I am provided to an audience so meticulously studied in order to ensure that my work is the content that they are looking for.

I want to turn this around to you, the creator...

Despite the fact that YouTube is rented real estate many creators feel slighted by the constant need to publish content in order to meet the demands of YouTube's algorithm and they are very vocal about both the lack of revenue they earn from advertisements as well as the restrictions placed on creators in order to maximize the revenue earned from advertisements. There is a lot of vitriol concerning a search and discovery system that fails to recognize smaller creators despite giving them all the analytical data they need to know what is necessary in order to succeed.

So what say you? If given the opportunity to 'fix' three things that are most broken about YouTube WHAT WOULD YOU FIX and HOW WOULD YOU FIX IT?

• Love
Reactions: germainrene

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Easy - the disconnect between gating features on subscriber count but search placement on AR and AVD. YouTube creates their own sub4sub problem by sending mixed messages.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
There is a lot of vitriol concerning a search and discovery system that fails to recognize smaller creators despite giving them all the analytical data they need to know what is necessary in order to succeed.

See, the problem there is new upcoming creators need to realize that they're just not experienced enough. "good" content takes time, and society has become more and more entitled to the point they expect results without putting in the work first. It's "easier" to beg than it is to learn and work and develop skills. It's easier to blame the big organization that to realise that maybe your content just isn't any good. You don't buy running shoes then suddenly start winning medals at the olypics, you have to put in the YEARS of work. People expect results on a silver platter just for showing up and doing nothing, then complain when nothing happens.

A bit like showing up for an exam without even studying, just asking for answers without doing the study, and getting upset when you fail an exam. You have to work for results. But of course people will blame the company instead of themselves for not having enough experience to actually be good.

The way to "fix" the situation (which wouldn't work anymore anyway) is to turn YouTube into another version of Instagram ETC.... remove ALL monetization. Unfortunately they introduced monetization on mass, the only social media platform to do that... people abused and exploited that and of course they had to stamp down. I'd remove monetization completely so the only reason people upload is for the passion. If they want to make money, they have to go out and work on getting brand deals themselves, and find out the hard way that organizations don't take kindly to begging and unsolicited requests for favors without providing any value in return.

I would also make it a requirement that all channels REQUIRE mobile activation in order to have a channel. And I'd introduce a fee for uploading content. Maybe $5-$20 a year. Still small compared to many other services that care that per month, but a small sting would incentivize people to take it seriously in expecting everything for free.

I'd also include mandatory programmed in training. The YouTube Creators Academy, but mandatory. You don't proceed until the system recognizes that you've press play and have actually watched the training on the basic principles of growing a channel. If you don't complete it, the system locks you out of being able to proceed any further.

A lot of merchandise companies also are requiring tax information before you can sell items. If people want to make money on YouTube, then they have to treat it like a business and submit their legal paperwork to keeo them accountable and responsible. I wonder how many channels out there who are monetized don't realise they actually have to pay tax otherwise they could face tax charges.

If people are complaining about how "broken" the system is, I'd give them a real reason to complain. Make them play by the rules with fees and tax requirements, and with all the people that jump ship would hopefully give the programmers at google more time to fix the REAL bugs, instead of wasting time on rule breakers.

And of course those who jump ship will realise just how good they had it with YouTube.

I would make the community tab available for verified content creators, thatΓÇÖs all I can think of for now.
This as well. There's no need to lock features away behind subcount requirements when Instagram and Twitter etc allow everyone to do it. community tab and stories for all.

• Love
Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Easy - the disconnect between gating features on subscriber count but search placement on AR and AVD. YouTube creates their own sub4sub problem by sending mixed messages.
Well said, that is a hell of a response. We got a home-run right out of the gate!

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I would make the community tab available for verified content creators, thatΓÇÖs all I can think of for now.
I respect that on multiple levels. For one I don't understand why they would withhold a community tool at a time when you are most involved in building a community. That's some backwards thinking. Second I appreciate that the thing you would fix is so simple. It reflects a lot of respect in the product!

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
See, the problem there is new upcoming creators need to realize that they're just not experienced enough. "good" content takes time, and society has become more and more entitled to the point they expect results without putting in the work first. It's "easier" to beg than it is to learn and work and develop skills. It's easier to blame the big organization that to realise that maybe your content just isn't any good. You don't buy running shoes then suddenly start winning medals at the olypics, you have to put in the YEARS of work. People expect results on a silver platter just for showing up and doing nothing, then complain when nothing happens.

A bit like showing up for an exam without even studying, just asking for answers without doing the study, and getting upset when you fail an exam. You have to work for results. But of course people will blame the company instead of themselves for not having enough experience to actually be good.

The way to "fix" the situation (which wouldn't work anymore anyway) is to turn YouTube into another version of Instagram ETC.... remove ALL monetization. Unfortunately they introduced monetization on mass, the only social media platform to do that... people abused and exploited that and of course they had to stamp down. I'd remove monetization completely so the only reason people upload is for the passion. If they want to make money, they have to go out and work on getting brand deals themselves, and find out the hard way that organizations don't take kindly to begging and unsolicited requests for favors without providing any value in return.

I would also make it a requirement that all channels REQUIRE mobile activation in order to have a channel. And I'd introduce a fee for uploading content. Maybe $5-$20 a year. Still small compared to many other services that care that per month, but a small sting would incentivize people to take it seriously in expecting everything for free.

I'd also include mandatory programmed in training. The YouTube Creators Academy, but mandatory. You don't proceed until the system recognizes that you've press play and have actually watched the training on the basic principles of growing a channel. If you don't complete it, the system locks you out of being able to proceed any further.

A lot of merchandise companies also are requiring tax information before you can sell items. If people want to make money on YouTube, then they have to treat it like a business and submit their legal paperwork to keeo them accountable and responsible. I wonder how many channels out there who are monetized don't realise they actually have to pay tax otherwise they could face tax charges.

If people are complaining about how "broken" the system is, I'd give them a real reason to complain. Make them play by the rules with fees and tax requirements, and with all the people that jump ship would hopefully give the programmers at google more time to fix the REAL bugs, instead of wasting time on rule breakers.

And of course those who jump ship will realise just how good they had it with YouTube.

This as well. There's no need to lock features away behind subcount requirements when Instagram and Twitter etc allow everyone to do it. community tab and stories for all.

I like the idea of having features unlocked once milestones are met... but I don't like the system as it is currently devised. These constant, bloated CTA's for subscribers are a detriment to the quality of videos everywhere but they are a necessary evil because of the emphasis on subscriber counts and the need for 1,000 in order to monetize. Hiding the community tab from a creator at a time when he most needs to create community is ridiculous. And the whole thing about gaming channels getting Members at 1k while everyone else had to hit like 30k (forgive me if that isn't current and/or the numbers aren't accurate) is absurd.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I had not intended for this to be a thread dedicated to bashing YouTube... rather it is my intention to get us thinking critically for the betterment of the platform. For example, I believe one of the biggest issues on the platform is the process by which copyright strikes are doled out. Now, I have no issue with copyright strikes and claims; these are things that need to exist. But the arbitrary and comprehensive way with which they are determined, enforced and the consequences of failing to appeal are not good. This needs to be fixed. Of course a root cause analysis of the issue points the finger at the music industry, and while I support musicians and their need to capture the earnings for their works the industry as a whole is a dirty, bloated industry focused on antiquated measures in order to capitalize on every single penny possible. That needs to be changed. Rather than focusing on on shutting down every single creator who even accidently features a copyright song (which creators really need to not do) the industry should be figuring out a way top allow easy access to music at reasonable rates. You pay $1 to listen to a song on iTunes... who wouldn't pay $2-$3 to feature a song in their video?! Companies like LIKD are making vast strides with movements like this but seriously, this is something that should have been figured out and capitalized on a decade ago.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Fix YouTube? Why should I worry about YouTube when I don't even have my own business up and running like I want to? The real problem is people think the "problem" is someone else's fault. Ask most people: They don't even a have a business plan, yet they expect to "fix" YouTube. Without fixing your own shortcomings, well, imagine this: If YouTube "fixed" everything tomorrow, and you haven't addressed your own shortcomings, you'd still be left with the same problems that are holding you back. These same people would still point the finger at YouTube swearing to all Heaven's angels that YouTube needs to fix everything.

Hypothetical Example #1:
  • Your content sucks. YouTube decides to fix everything. What are you left with? A channel full of sucky content that no one wants to watch nor will YouTube ever push.
Hypothetical Example #2:
  • Your content is awesome. You've spent time studying filmmaking, T. V. production or storytelling. You upped your game as best you can, took a graphic design class, and made your thumbnails better. You've watched every video Andrew put out to get your SEO strategy solid. YouTube decides to do nothing, leaving everything as is. What are you left with? A channel with awesome content, attention grabbing thumbnails, and SEO that will trigger the algorithm.
Which of these hypothetical examples will put you in a better position for success? Neither of these scenarios is a guarantee for failure/success, but I know which will give me a better chance either way.

Last edited:

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Not much to say really. The best responses have been said. My only two cents would be for YouTube to be more straight forward with their community about how monetization will work. Everyone seems to be under the impression that all they need is 1000 subs, 4000 hours viewtime and bamn, they start making money regardless how bad the content is or how few views they get. It seems less like they don't understand the monetization is based on views and subs and such and more like they think it's a steady paycheck no matter the views or subs. The reason I say this is because I've noticed people keep saying their goal is 1000 subs. As if that is all you need. Heck, I actually saw one person say they want 1000 subs, maybe more. Maybe? Really? Who doesn't want more subs and why would you not assume more subs means more potential viewers and thus more money?

I mean, seriously, the average person seems completely unaware how Youtube works when it comes to monetization. All they believe is you just need 1000 subs/4000 view hours, you get monetized instantly and you start making a lot of money right afterward. They don't even comprehend it takes time to get approved for the YTPP or that you can still be rejected even after meeting the 1000 sub/4000 view hours goal. It's crazy to see people actually believe YT can be a means to sustain a family. All because they see the likes of big YouTubers like PewdiePie, Mr Beast and others raking in the money not realizing the level of production, dedication and costs behind these creators.

I know this was not meant to be a bash YT post but it's unavoidable when YT is partially responsible for not being more clear with its community and letting them believe all you have to do is make a video and upload for money. Personally, I think YT saw a chance to get a ton of content regardless of quality to make their platform bigger, have more content to improve their AI systems and now profit from ads on videos that are not from monetized channels as well.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Fix YouTube? Why should I worry about YouTube when I don't even have my own business up and running like I want to? The real problem is people think the "problem" is someone else's fault. Ask most people ,they don't even a have a business plan, yet they expect to "fix" YouTube. Without fixing your own shortcomings, well, imagine this: If YouTube "fixed" everything tomorrow, and you haven't addressed your own shortcomings, you'd still be left with the same problems that are holding you back. These same people would still point the finger at YouTube swearing to all Heaven's angels that YouTube needs to fix everything.

Hypothetical example #1:
  • Your content sucks. YouTube decides to fix everything. What are you left with? A channel full of sucky content that no one wants to watch and that YouTube will never push.
Hypothetical example #2:
  • Your content is awesome. You've spent time studying filmmaking, T. V. production or storytelling. You upped your game as best you can, took a graphic design class, and made your thumbnails better. You've watched every video Andrew put out to get your SEO strategy solid. YouTube decides to do nothing, leaving everything as is. What are you left with? A channel with awesome content, attention grabbing thumbnails, and SEO that will trigger the algorithm.
Which of these hypothetical examples will put you in a better position for success? Neither of these scenarios is a guarantee for failure/success, but I know which will give me a better chance either way.

Agree with 100%. What's the point of creating the fastest car ever if the guy behind the wheel can't drive for sh*t? Sure, there are things YT can do but they are not the only problem. I always go back to a scene from one of my fav animated movies Green Lantern First Flight where Sinistro is given his yellow ring and told the weapon has only one flaw, its user. Same thing here if YT was to be completely fixed, as @Damon put it.

• Love
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Fix YouTube? Why should I worry about YouTube when I don't even have my own business up and running like I want to? The real problem is people think the "problem" is someone else's fault. Ask most people ,they don't even a have a business plan, yet they expect to "fix" YouTube. Without fixing your own shortcomings, well, imagine this: If YouTube "fixed" everything tomorrow, and you haven't addressed your own shortcomings, you'd still be left with the same problems that are holding you back. These same people would still point the finger at YouTube swearing to all Heaven's angels that YouTube needs to fix everything.

Hypothetical example #1:
  • Your content sucks. YouTube decides to fix everything. What are you left with? A channel full of sucky content that no one wants to watch and that YouTube will never push.
Hypothetical example #2:

Well said sir, you absolutely nailed it!

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
meet the demands of YouTube's algorithm

This is my problem the algorithm is based on humans. We have a "WANT NOW" type mind because of how things are. I'd say that YouTube does it's best, and I've uploaded less, but more focused content and grew all the same in 2020 I'd say it really comes down to the creator, what they want to do, and who they're trying to server/entertain/help etc. I've seen it over and over. I think TikTok makes it SUPER easy for users with 100's of pieces of content, but at scale with short content it IS easy. The difference is the shelf life, and I'd argue LONG TERM YT is the safer play. Keep in mind I like ANY platform that makes YT get better.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
This is my problem the algorithm is based on humans. We have a "WANT NOW" type mind because of how things are. I'd say that YouTube does it's best, and I've uploaded less, but more focused content and grew all the same in 2020 I'd say it really comes down to the creator, what they want to do, and who they're trying to server/entertain/help etc. I've seen it over and over. I think TikTok makes it SUPER easy for users with 100's of pieces of content, but at scale with short content it IS easy. The difference is the shelf life, and I'd argue LONG TERM YT is the safer play. Keep in mind I like ANY platform that makes YT get better.

SOLID words of wisdom!