• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Is it ok to use a Google Map in my travel video?

PBJoe

I've searched the forum and maybe I missed a Google Map discussion. I'd like to use a 5 second clip of a Google Map in my video. I read it was ok, as long as I leave the Google Logo displayed on the map.

I'm just confused if it's ok when the video is monetized. I would assume this would be considered a commercial use. I've searched Creative Commons Images and other stock photos for a map. I'd like to use Google Map if I can.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
From what I have found, the short answer is no you cannot use GoogleMaps or GoogleEarth in a monetized video without permission. They do say that some 'fair use' is allowed (with attribution) but as usual, fail to describe what constitutes fair use. It is a case by case basis.

These guidelines are for non-commercial use, except for the limited use cases described below. If you want to use Google Maps, Google Earth, or Street View for other commercial purposes ΓÇô meaning ΓÇ£for sale or revenue-generating purposesΓÇ¥ ΓÇô please contact the Google Cloud Customer Team.
Source: Permissions ΓÇô Google

Of course I have seen many channels use short clips of the maps, and suspect very few obtain permission (just a guess, but I stand by it ha ha). It does not make it right, it just makes it selectively enforced.

Reactions: PBJoe

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Interesting question. On it's own I wouldn't see any issue with it, but the whole copyright owned by google (and they do plaster it on googlemaps anyway) is interesting.

I think "for commercial use" would be more in terms of using the services for apps, like how PokemonGO has used google maps as the basis for it's maps functionality, and I believe Jurassic World Alive has actually used other map providers to specifically avoid having to pay licensing fees to google to use the maps. Having google maps as the main navigation system for your car etc would all be commercial uses. Have a breif screenshot or screen recording of you showing a location I can't imagine being an issue. PewDiePie and many others have used google maps as a reference for showing world map locations so I think you're fine from a video monetization standpoint, it would be more for integrations with commercial apps and games etc.

I also like to reverse engineer a situation. I google to see if anyone else has had situations of being penalized for doing something. If there's no real search results for "youtube video being taken down for showing google maps" etc, then it's somewhat safe to assume it's ok. I'm not a lawyer so I can't give any legal "Advice" my gut just says it should be fine for a demonstration standpoint.

Reactions: PBJoe

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Straight from Google:

Online video
If youΓÇÖre using Google Maps content in an online video (e.g. YouTube) primarily for educational, instructional, recreational, or entertainment purposes, you donΓÇÖt need to request permission ΓÇô but you must still follow our general guidelines and attribute properly.
If youΓÇÖre using Google Maps in an online video advertisement or for promotional purposes (e.g. a real estate company showing where rental properties are available), submit your project for approval according to the guidelines on the Entertainment and Media page. Only standard Google Maps imagery may be used for this purpose, since Satellite View imagery falls under the same commercial restrictions as Google Earth.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I will add what should be a fairly obvious caveat to this... you need a drone. I use Google maps too, it is an easy way to get a cool satellite shot of your area especially when travelling (following the rules presented by SILTHW of course) but man, nothing beats that clean drone footage!

OP
OP
PBJoe

PBJoe

Interesting question. On it's own I wouldn't see any issue with it, but the whole copyright owned by google (and they do plaster it on googlemaps anyway) is interesting.

I think "for commercial use" would be more in terms of using the services for apps, like how PokemonGO has used google maps as the basis for it's maps functionality, and I believe Jurassic World Alive has actually used other map providers to specifically avoid having to pay licensing fees to google to use the maps. Having google maps as the main navigation system for your car etc would all be commercial uses. Have a breif screenshot or screen recording of you showing a location I can't imagine being an issue. PewDiePie and many others have used google maps as a reference for showing world map locations so I think you're fine from a video monetization standpoint, it would be more for integrations with commercial apps and games etc.

I also like to reverse engineer a situation. I google to see if anyone else has had situations of being penalized for doing something. If there's no real search results for "youtube video being taken down for showing google maps" etc, then it's somewhat safe to assume it's ok. I'm not a lawyer so I can't give any legal "Advice" my gut just says it should be fine for a demonstration standpoint.

Thanks, maybe I'll try using a 5 second map and see what happens.

OP
OP
PBJoe

PBJoe

Straight from Google:

Online video
If youΓÇÖre using Google Maps content in an online video (e.g. YouTube) primarily for educational, instructional, recreational, or entertainment purposes, you donΓÇÖt need to request permission ΓÇô but you must still follow our general guidelines and attribute properly.
If youΓÇÖre using Google Maps in an online video advertisement or for promotional purposes (e.g. a real estate company showing where rental properties are available), submit your project for approval according to the guidelines on the Entertainment and Media page. Only standard Google Maps imagery may be used for this purpose, since Satellite View imagery falls under the same commercial restrictions as Google Earth.

Good information. Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
PBJoe

PBJoe

I will add what should be a fairly obvious caveat to this... you need a drone. I use Google maps too, it is an easy way to get a cool satellite shot of your area especially when travelling (following the rules presented by SILTHW of course) but man, nothing beats that clean drone footage!

I had a nice drone. It's floating somewhere between San Diego and Catalina. I'll get another one soon.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

I need one in my life just because it's an amazing piece of tech. LOL

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB