• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice What tips do you have for converting views to subs?

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Considering the act of someone subbing is, I'd say, very much out of our control except whether or not the content is compelling enough to get them to sub (so yes a portion is in our control I guess), what are the best ways to convert views to subs? It's a point of frustration for me b/c I've seen channels similar to mine skyrocket subscription-wise, and I do try to borrow or take hints from what they're doing to improve my own content in hopes it too gets more subs (without overtly copying of course). While the views have increased, the subscription rate has stayed pretty steady. I am averaging maybe 100 subs per 6-7 weeks, which for a small channel isn't terribly too bad, but I feel the % of views compared to subs is very low. For instance, I had 4.3k views over the last 7 day s and 17 subs. This is a 0.4% conversion rate--if I did my math right and I suck at math--not very good IMO and it also doesn't include people who stopped subbing, which can impact the rate even more.

So I guess, without being self-defeating b/c all things are pointing up--just some faster than others--what strategies can I employ to get more subs besides having patience and going with the Field of Dreams mantra, albeit slightly altered, "If I consistently upload good content, they will sub."?

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
"If I consistently upload good content, they will sub."?

Not necessarily. Just because you do the work doesn't mean you are guaranteed an outcome.

However, consider this. You currently have 60 videos loaded. That is a good effort. If you had 600 videos uploaded, you've have an order of magnitude greater chance of getting more subscribers.

The matra should read, "Build it. Measure the results. Scale based on the order of your successes."

OP
OP
MiddleofKnowhere

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Ultimately I'm just gonna keep plugging away and working, playing, honing my craft and doing what I can to build the community. Getting more interactions has been fun and a nice reward in and of itself. Got this comment today on a video I uploaded maybe 6 months ago:
1608064581573.png

Thanks for the feedback!

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I could always improve in this field, but I've always gone with the idea that good content will speak for it'self, and people will subscribe if they want to see more good content.
I've tried doing a bit more of what Nick Nimmin does, a short call to action at the start, a call to action at the end, and I try some fun non obtrusive graphic pop ups in the video.

I don't know how often people look at the description, so adding a link to the subscribe in the description doesn't seem that worth while, having your banner state a clear value proposition worth subscribing for, and simply having content worth subscribing, and reminding audiences in a short manner, to "ring that bell" etc seems the way to go. You don't want to drag it on too long, I just treat the call to action as a reminder "hey, if you like what I have to offer, consider subscribing"

I know some creators will do stuff like "subscribe and ring the bell or I'll (insert random comedic threat)" and while I get the humor, I don't think the bots would, and I bet somewhere down the line youtube bots will misinterpret those as "threats of violence" and suppress them somehow. It's just a worry I have in the back of my mind as a "always possible even if unlikely" scenarios which is best avoided.

I'm also seeing people going with the subscribe vs non subscribed graph meme. Not sure how successful it is, but always worth a try I guess. It could work, but it could also put your viewers off by coming off as cringy. Try, analyze, see if it works, if it hurts more than helps then stop doing it.

I think a subtle little "Subscribe" animation that comes up briefly tends to do well as a reminder for those already enjoying your content.

OP
OP
MiddleofKnowhere

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thanks Beanie.

I do a call to action to subscribe and get notified at the end of each video and do a lower-thirds animation for subscribing and getting notified near the beginning (usually within the first few minutes). Maybe I should vocally do a call, but I'm not trying to inundate the viewer if that makes sense. I've seen so many videos that devote wayyyy too much time to that kind of stuff. But yeah I'll experiment and try and do a call out next time.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
You need to remind the viewer to subscribe for sure, CTA's are important. But they are also so inundated with CTA's these days that it is beyond old. I suggest getting creative. I like how Whang! or Modest Pelican Gaming do their CTA's, it's become a running joke on their channels so it is far less obtrusive.

Reactions: Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
You need to remind the viewer to subscribe for sure, CTA's are important. But they are also so inundated with CTA's these days that it is beyond old. I suggest getting creative. I like how Whang! or Modest Pelican Gaming do their CTA's, it's become a running joke on their channels so it is far less obtrusive.

I agree. I take inspiration from my Amish and Mennonite brethren who are by definition a humble people who don't like calling attention to themselves. Yet, there are Amish businesses running 5 million dollar per year. How do they do it? They sell by telling their story.

My call to action is nothing more than a blank screen with my Web site, Teachable page or Bandcamp page. It works well for me. Today CTAs are like voice over in documentary film: It has been done so much that people ignore it or even hate it. I want people to subscribe because the content is that good, not because I told them to subscribe.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I agree. I take inspiration from my Amish and Mennonite brethren who are by definition a humble people who don't like calling attention to themselves. Yet, there are Amish businesses running 5 million dollar per year. How do they do it? They sell by telling their story.

My call to action is nothing more than a blank screen with my Web site, Teachable page or Bandcamp page. It works well for me. Today CTAs are like voice over in documentary film: It has been done so much that people ignore it or even hate it. I want people to subscribe because the content is that good, not because I told them to subscribe.

I could not agree more, and I totally love your stance on the need to tell a story. There is not near enough emphasis on that aspect of video-production on YouTube.

Reactions: MiddleofKnowhere
OP
OP
MiddleofKnowhere

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I could not agree more, and I totally love your stance on the need to tell a story. There is not near enough emphasis on that aspect of video-production on YouTube.

I agree with trying to tell a story. I've been attempting to do that but it's fairly hard I think with tech reviews, but I feel I may have with one of my videos that talked about how much I like building PCs and then segued to DIY'ing a backplate for a GPU. :)
I don't do much in the way of CTAs other than the lowerthirds animation to sub and get notified and then again at the very end of the video. I may do some cards to other videos during the course of a vid but I never interrupt my flow with CTA to sub.

OP
OP
MiddleofKnowhere

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
mi consejo es ..."el contenido es el rey"

It always is. I've been getting loads of feedback from people that has been positive that have helped them find information, decide on buying something etc, so I must be doing something right. :) Since making the initial post, I've gained 82 subs, so not too shabby for less than a month.

• Love

Laurenk

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Hey, I think the best thing you can do is just try your best in all your videos and upload consistently. It'll happen you just have to stay patient and not let it deter you.

Laurenk

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Hey, I think the best thing you can do is just try your best in all your videos and upload consistently. It'll happen you just have to stay patient and not let it deter you.

Laurenk

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Not necessarily. Just because you do the work doesn't mean you are guaranteed an outcome.

However, consider this. You currently have 60 videos loaded. That is a good effort. If you had 600 videos uploaded, you've have an order of magnitude greater chance of getting more subscribers.

The matra should read, "Build it. Measure the results. Scale based on the order of your successes."

That is so true. I completely agree with you

Laurenk

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I could always improve in this field, but I've always gone with the idea that good content will speak for it'self, and people will subscribe if they want to see more good content.
I've tried doing a bit more of what Nick Nimmin does, a short call to action at the start, a call to action at the end, and I try some fun non obtrusive graphic pop ups in the video.

I don't know how often people look at the description, so adding a link to the subscribe in the description doesn't seem that worth while, having your banner state a clear value proposition worth subscribing for, and simply having content worth subscribing, and reminding audiences in a short manner, to "ring that bell" etc seems the way to go. You don't want to drag it on too long, I just treat the call to action as a reminder "hey, if you like what I have to offer, consider subscribing"

I know some creators will do stuff like "subscribe and ring the bell or I'll (insert random comedic threat)" and while I get the humor, I don't think the bots would, and I bet somewhere down the line youtube bots will misinterpret those as "threats of violence" and suppress them somehow. It's just a worry I have in the back of my mind as a "always possible even if unlikely" scenarios which is best avoided.

I'm also seeing people going with the subscribe vs non subscribed graph meme. Not sure how successful it is, but always worth a try I guess. It could work, but it could also put your viewers off by coming off as cringy. Try, analyze, see if it works, if it hurts more than helps then stop doing it.

I think a subtle little "Subscribe" animation that comes up briefly tends to do well as a reminder for those already enjoying your content.

This is so true. Couldn't have said it better myself

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
1. Don't force them to do it.
and 2. Target the right people who will love your content.