• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Tech video: motherboard unboxing/overview

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
You've got some good thumbnail and art game! I like the outline on the motherboard and box. I need to learn how to do that!

Are you using Photoshop, or Gimp, or something else to outline the items in the thumbnail?

Reactions: MiddleofKnowhere
OP
OP
MiddleofKnowhere

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thank you! I'm using GIMP. It's got a steep learning curve, but for what I need it for, it's good enough. Maybe when I'm actually making money I'll break out the wallet for Light Room and Photoshop (possibly illustrator). I use Davinci Resolve for the video editing and I really like it.

In GIMP to make the outline it's really awkward. In PS you'd just add a glow or stroke. In GIMP, you add alpha to selection, make a new layer, grow that new layer by maybe 3-6 pixels, put the new layer under the opject layer, use the paint bucket to fill the new layer with a color and if all you want is a stroke you're done after you select none to remove the outline. If you want a glow, you then select none then apply a gaussian blur and tinker with settings from there.

Reactions: BensTechLab
OP
OP
MiddleofKnowhere

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
oh and I separated the MOBO and box from the main photo by using the lasso selection tool to outline it then cut it from the main layer and pasted to their own layers. It's how I was able to do the outline and glow and put the MSI logo behind those. :)

Reactions: BensTechLab

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
oh and I separated the MOBO and box from the main photo by using the lasso selection tool to outline it then cut it from the main layer and pasted to their own layers. It's how I was able to do the outline and glow and put the MSI logo behind those. :)
Thanks for the tips! I'll give this a go. My first thumbnail was done in powerpoint. :joy: Definitely lots of room to grow!

Reactions: MiddleofKnowhere
OP
OP
MiddleofKnowhere

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for the tips! I'll give this a go. My first thumbnail was done in powerpoint. :joy: Definitely lots of room to grow!

Hah, I think I've done that! My benchmark test results on the build videos are tables made in excel, then brought into PowerPoint, then screen grabs are made then put into DR. lol