• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice What do you think about my YT strategy

golfwithjohn

Subscriber Goal
New YT'er with 3 videos. My channel is about my progress in golf and sharing my game (every shot of golf with tracer).

So far, the videos all have an intro and extro with my every shot in the middle. I add background music to it and remove all sounds besides the golf ball hitting part.

2 different things I want advice on.

• Should I dub my videos with my thought process throughout the video to tell people why I decided on a club and shot? The reason why I'm delaying this is that I'm still new at golf and my game isn't as good. So would people want to hear from a newb? *It also would take a long time to write it up and dub it.
  • Every few golf videos, I can share a progress report(?) type video. Sharing what I'm struggling with, what I'm working on, and other information. My question for this type of video is, does it take away from my every shot videos?
I'd love to hear your thoughts!

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
New YT'er with 3 videos. My channel is about my progress in golf and sharing my game (every shot of golf with tracer).

So far, the videos all have an intro and extro with my every shot in the middle. I add background music to it and remove all sounds besides the golf ball hitting part.

2 different things I want advice on.

• Should I dub my videos with my thought process throughout the video to tell people why I decided on a club and shot? The reason why I'm delaying this is that I'm still new at golf and my game isn't as good. So would people want to hear from a newb? *It also would take a long time to write it up and dub it.
  • Every few golf videos, I can share a progress report(?) type video. Sharing what I'm struggling with, what I'm working on, and other information. My question for this type of video is, does it take away from my every shot videos?
I'd love to hear your thoughts!
To your first question - by your own admission you are learning and not an expert, so I feel like your instinct here is likely correct.

I think the second type of video sounds fine and makes for a good playlist. Gives you a chance to tell your audience what you are going to be working on and can help link back to the other videos.

OP
OP
golfwithjohn

golfwithjohn

Subscriber Goal
I think the second type of video sounds fine and makes for a good playlist. Gives you a chance to tell your audience what you are going to be working on and can help link back to the other videos.
I love this idea! Yes, this can be a good way for me to introduce other videos and do some SEO work!

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
So far, the videos all have an intro and extro with my every shot in the middle
I'd be careful with how you do your intros. Intros are an art in themselves to master. A good intro sets up a video for a good viewer experience, but a poorly crafted intro can often see you end up with "hockey sticks" in your audience retention graphs. So I'd study others in your field, but I'd also watch some videos by Nick Nimmin on strategies for how to start off a video.

I'd then do a few videos. 5-10 will give you a decent idea at a very basic level of how your intro performs. If you see big dips within the first 30 seconds or so, you know you need to re-approach your intros. But if there're no dips, then you've got yourself a good formula for starting your videos.

I don't know enough about golf to make any other suggestions (the thing about tracers sounds interesting) in terms of content, but I'd definitely do a lot of study on thumbnail design, especially the use of typography and contrast. Design elements and design principles are a thing few people seem to know about, but they make a différance into how clickable your thumbnails are.

OP
OP
golfwithjohn

golfwithjohn

Subscriber Goal
5-10 will give you a decent idea at a very basic level of how your intro performs.

This is a great point. I'm on video 3 but I think it's trending okay. I'll need to keep an eye on what time people drop, because they do... and see if that lines with when the actual content start vs intros. Thank you for your feedback

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
This is a great point. I'm on video 3 but I think it's trending okay. I'll need to keep an eye on what time people drop, because they do... and see if that lines with when the actual content start vs intros. Thank you for your feedback
I mean, when it comes to watch time graphs, even 1 video will give you data :) but 5-10 can give you a safe average if each graph provides similar graphs :) I can't remember if those graphs existed when I started YouTube, but it's definitely nice to have them now to analyze my older videos. A bit of it is trying to reverse engineree and a bit of guess work, guessing what you were doing that caused dips. I'm currently trying to guess what changes to apply to my thumbnails to raise ctr rather than reduce it :)

Reactions: golfwithjohn