• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Audience retention chart is too steep

Cheche004

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hey I have a lifestyle account. Most of my videos have a very low audience retention. any tips on how to grow your audience retention?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Have you got a screenshot to show an example?

How do you start your videos? I've seen quite a few videos recently where people goes "Hi and welcome back to my channel, don't forget to like and subscribe" and they do a lot of calls to action before even starting the video and that will generally kill your retention quite a bit from the beginning. If you show a screenshot of your audience retention per video it might give a better idea, but it's generally an intro that doesn't sit well with audiences, the intro will put people off and they'll leave before the video even starts. I have this problem as well. It's basically just learning to improve the craft of presentation and vocal delivery methods, and crafting an introduction that gets to the point and doesn't bore your audience.

OP
OP
Cheche004

Cheche004

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hey there, this is my most viewed video so far. This gains 40-50 or more views every day. Please help me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 129

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey there, this is my most viewed video so far. This gains 40-50 or more views every day. Please help me.
Evidently whatever you did within the first 30 seconds to 1 minute didn't interest the people who visited that video. Maybe you took too long to get to the point of the video? I used to waffle on with irrelevant intros about what I was doing, why I was making my video, instead of simply starting my video right at the point. So perhaps you need to make your lead in a lot quicker and more interesting. It's always a challenge.

It does look like however you still retained about half the people who clicked the video, but evidently by about 2 minutes you didn't get to the point of your video (I did watch a bit of it, you did say "make sure to watch to the end of the video to see the results" and interestingly enough your retention drops exactly at that point by another half, and they skip right to the end of the video, so you essentially told them where the "best" part of the video was, it looks like they stuck around for 30 seconds, and skipped out before the video got to the end screen.

So I'd work on your presentation skills, your story telling skills. Unfortunatly the graph will always reveal the hard truth, and that is that we are often not as entertaining, or capturing audience, or giving enough value as we think we are, and we need to be looking at that graph and deciding if we're getting to the point too slowly, are we stretching out time unecessarily, Are we dragging a video out longer than it needs to be, for the sake of monetisation and watch time? The audience won't tell you what you're doing wrong in the comments, but they certainly will in the audience retention graph.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
You got the click... but you didnt keep them around. I suggest finding something interesting to do/say at the beginning of your video to create immediate intrigue so the viewer will want to stick around longer. That is the key.

talanajordan

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
hey! something that may help is making a 10-15 second preview for what you are going to do in the view that is interesting so that people want to watch longer!