• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Question about background music

Travel Like Water

Subscriber Goal
I want to know what my fellow Youtuber do either when your vlogging or recording in a place where they place background music (radio playing or their own Playlist of copyrighted songs), what and how do you guys go about that. Sometimes you forget since your focused on what your vlogging about or do you just record and delete the audio or what? I just recorded a video and I'm in post and I hear the radio playing the background but I'm worried about the copyrighted music and that I can't use the video especially my speaking part bc of the music. How do you guys deal with this issue? Preplan or in post or somethubg else I'm unaware or.

EvaWar

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
www.evawar.com
Subscriber Goal
If the audio playing in the background is audible enough, you'll likely get a copyright claim on the video after YouTube scans it.

You need to pre plan recordings. Doing gaming for example, we always need to check if there is any music playing in the game as it isn't always licenced for redistribution. Most games have the option to turn the music off. Then if we plan on using any music in a video, it is all added in post. That way it's easier to control the individual volume levels of game, voice and audio - As well as making sure the music we add is licenced for use on YouTube.

Added: Maybe someone with experience in contesting copyright claims can add some input? There are some fair use cases where you may be able to get away with it, but I just avoid the trouble to start with.

EvaWar

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
www.evawar.com
Subscriber Goal
Here's one of mine with a claim against it. I've just left it up now, but eventually I'll delete the video:

1606595700851.png

OP
OP
T

Travel Like Water

Subscriber Goal
If the audio playing in the background is audible enough, you'll likely get a copyright claim on the video after YouTube scans it.

You need to pre plan recordings. Doing gaming for example, we always need to check if there is any music playing in the game as it isn't always licenced for redistribution. Most games have the option to turn the music off. Then if we plan on using any music in a video, it is all added in post. That way it's easier to control the individual volume levels of game, voice and audio - As well as making sure the music we add is licenced for use on YouTube.

Added: Maybe someone with experience in contesting copyright claims can add some input? There are some fair use cases where you may be able to get away with it, but I just avoid the trouble to start with.

Yea I didn't preplan and started recording background music and.
Sometimes the music is soft in the background, lowering the overal volume would make the music inaudible. If this doesnt help than muting it would be a an alternative option with adding music from the Youtube library

knowing this happened to pewdiepew https://www.dexerto.com/entertainme...over-ksi-meme-review-copyright-claim-1469288/ i am extra careful with recording.
Yea the problem. I is I was speaking over the loud music so I would have to mute everything and do a totally new voice over or just demonetize it since I don't have that many subscribers. I guess he followup question would be do you try to futureproof or just let it be

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
What's your reason for keeping it up now?
Capture.PNG

I had a copyright claim for this trailer analysis. as you can probably guess, the trailer itself wasn't 18 minutes long lol! It was me reacting, and then analysing the trailer frame by frame to study it so I considered it transformative enough. I didn't bother to appeal it because there's always the chance that appealing a copyright claim can lead to a copyright STRIKE if the original creator (in this case Universal Pictures) decides that they don't want to let go of the copyright claim.

I kept mine up because it wasn't a strike, it still fit in with the theme of my channel, and I consider it educational. Overall it hasn't harmed my channel at all, so I don't mind losing monetisation on that particular video because it was a one off occasion.

In terms of recording footage and then realising there's radio music playing in the background, you can either try to edit out the music but cutting a portion, if you're not talking, you can replace the music, but if it's on YouTube already and you got a copyright claim, there's nothing you can do outside of using YouTube's editor to either edit out that portion, mute it, or add some music from the audio library. If you're talking while there's copyrighted music, you'll just have to accept that you're going to lose that bit of verbal track. If the entire video or a good portion of the video has copyrighted audio in it, and editing it in YouTube means you'll lose too much dialogue, then there's not much point in keeping it up on your channel.

If this is BEFORE uploading to YouTube and you realise that there's a radio in the background, depending on how loud it is, you may be able to filter out the audio using an audio filtering program. It may make you sound a little robotic but I've used it at times to try and remove some background music. Not always great results, but better than nothing.

I did this for a video somewhat recently.

EvaWar

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
www.evawar.com
Subscriber Goal
What's your reason for keeping it up now?
For me, the channel isn't monetised, so I'm not losing anything. And with only a few videos uploaded, it's probably better being there and adding content for the channel. Once we have the quantity of videos higher I'll get rid of it.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I'm not sure if this can help but I use Audacity to remove noises in my videos. My previous mic was not of high quality and I lived in an area where we had no A/C thus windows were always open and there were animals everywhere like gods and chickens and such plus the main road was behind my house thus my recordings always ended up with noises from outside. I used Audacity to filter the noise out and while it wasn't perfect it was definitely much better afterwards. It might help in your videos even if enough to keep the YT scans from picking it up.

Jbrame

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You could use software that might help remove that from the video...the key is to remember not to have radio on in future videos or use royalty free music to cover over the background sounds that can help.
I donΓÇÖt get dinged so much on music in background as I have if we include a clip with music in it and that dings us. Heck I have had a Star Trek clip get dinged not because of music but because the YouTube scan pics up the sound of the ship engines and itΓÇÖs copyrighted.
I know some creators work around this by lowering the music in background or limiting how long a musical clip plays.

talanajordan

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
for me, adding my own noncopyrighted background music when i am editing helps so you cannot hear the other music. i haven't gotten copyrighted from doing that.