• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube News You MIGHT be getting ads weather you like it or not.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've seen this floating about the last few hours but Roberto Blake (friend of TubeBuddy) has just made a video on new ad policies which may be a little concerning for some of you, especially those of you who HAVEN'T been monetized.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHRzn2ScWco

You're about to start getting ads weather you like it or not, weather you're monetised or not.

What this means?

If you're not part of the YouTube Partner Program, you'll start getting ads, but you won't make ANY money from it... you'll simply have ads on your content
If you're not part of the YouTube Partner Progam... you have no control over how these ads operate. You have no control WHAT TYPE of ads will be played. You don't like political ads showing on videos? tough, you might still get political ads showing on your videos regardless of your one views of politics.
You won't have control over weather you have mid roll ads are shown, or when... meaning your audience might get annoyed at how many ads show on your videos, and you won't have the option to turn this off. I don't think anyway, I haven't seen more official word about it, but here's some brief information

This just goes to show that YouTube is it's own private comapny, and THEY control how they serve out ads, and how or even IF they pay anyone to show ads.

No doubt there will be a lot more about this circulating on YouTube in the coming days/weeks/months

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Oh yes thank you ma man, I just came on to write up a little article about this, but IΓÇÖll leave my 4 cents worth here.

The way I see it, there will no doubt be a nice mixture of pros and cons, but it seems somewhat many are focusing so much on the cons, and rightfully so, as YouTube hasnΓÇÖt hinted on any pros, well not from what IΓÇÖve searched on anyways (yeah haha Damo, searching?? Lol)!

Anyways, the cons have been laid out for us, ads plastered on our videos which are, IΓÇÖd say 99.9% out of our control, and we get nothing for our hard work.

Now hereΓÇÖs what a lot of small channels donΓÇÖt consider, YouTube is, and has been a free to use platform since itΓÇÖs birth, with the option of going premium, so some would see this as a form of payment to them for using their platform for free, ads on videos are quite annoying, but what if YouTube promotes your video like hell in return for ad placement, like promote at levels your wildest dreams, and then companies that are being advertised through your video, what if they also promote your videos beyond what YouTube would do, DOUBLE WHAMMY!!!

Now of course this probably wonΓÇÖt be true for quite some time (it definitely wonΓÇÖt be true now), as this is all new.

In short, for me, IΓÇÖll be continuing the uploading, but paying attention to what goes on MUCH closer now. As always, if there isnΓÇÖt anything correct in anything IΓÇÖve stated, please correct it, or just add your own thoughts :blush: :)

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I've posted and made a video on on Google/YouTube's ad problem. YouTube has declining ad revenue due to its advertisers moving from CPM buys to CPE buys. They have talked about it in the annual reports for a few years now. The net - they are seeing a decline in ad revenue and it isn't being made up by selling subscription services. They need to increase ad revenue.

I would also note, because of the CPE the way they have phrased this is important. The are saying they can put ads on videos of people that aren't in the YPP, but that doesn't mean they are going to put the ads everywhere. Remember, they need engagement, not just impressions so spamming ads would be a poor strategy. So they will most likely select videos that have high audience retention and a clear niche and run ads that target that niche audience. My guess is there will be some form of view threshold or velocity threshold to trigger it.

90% of the people I see complaining don't have anything to worry about...

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

on a dark night

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
It won't matter to me so much but if youtube can show ads with any video then wouldn't they be encouraged to do this more without having to pay out any fees to the people who've made the video.
If this were to happen then people would have to ask themselves would they still make videos and upload them regardless even if it means less revenue if any than they used to make or would they think I'm making these and receiving next to no benefit from it .
I think once you start making money on YouTube then this would be something you'd ask yourself .
I cant see it happening quite like this but I do think some big changes revenue wise will be occurring for some uploaders .

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I've posted and made a video on on Google/YouTube's ad problem. YouTube has declining ad revenue due to its advertisers moving from CPM buys to CPE buys. They have talked about it in the annual reports for a few years now. The net - they are seeing a decline in ad revenue and it isn't being made up by selling subscription services. They need to increase ad revenue.

I would also note, because of the CPE the way they have phrased this is important. The are saying they can put ads on videos of people that aren't in the YPP, but that doesn't mean they are going to put the ads everywhere. Remember, they need engagement, not just impressions so spamming ads would be a poor strategy. So they will most likely select videos that have high audience retention and a clear niche and run ads that target that niche audience. My guess is there will be some form of view threshold or velocity threshold to trigger it.

Right, I feel this last part is key. Largely the way I interpreted this is that if someone who isn't in the YPP has a video go viral, now YouTube can opt to turn on ads for this video and monetize it for itself and not pay out the creator. Obviously, if I was in that creators shoes, it would suck that YouTube could make money off my hard work, however, at the same time, Google/YouTube is bringing the advertisers and viewers to the table in the first place.

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
Right, I feel this last part is key. Largely the way I interpreted this is that if someone who isn't in the YPP has a video go viral, now YouTube can opt to turn on ads for this video and monetize it for itself and not pay out the creator. Obviously, if I was in that creators shoes, it would suck that YouTube could make money off my hard work, however, at the same time, Google/YouTube is bringing the advertisers and viewers to the table in the first place.
The best analogy is a stock room.

YouTube has a ton of "impressions" stock. They have way less "engagement" stock. People aren't buying "impressions" stock anymore because it is no longer fashionable. They want to buy "engagement" stock, but YouTube constant sells out of it. So YouTube has identified another source for "engagement" stock (people who aren't in the ypp that have videos that will drive ad engagement). So they have decided to include that new source in their available stock.

So if you aren't the right type of stock, they don't care about you. Ironically, getting an ad place in your content is a pretty big indicator you are doing something right...

Last edited:
Reactions: Travel Interesante
OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal

I think I got sucked into the hyperbole hype, and I wish creators who posted videos on the topic wouldn't flip flop from "OMG LOOK WHAT'S HAPPENING TAKE NOTE!" hype, to "there's nothing to worry about, keep calm" when a lot of the news that circulating were FROM the people now telling us we should keep calm. But I guess like all news reporting, headlines sell and if the title didn't grab attention with a bit of fear (fear of missing out/fear of missing out information) they wouldn't get the views needed to rank... so I get it.

Generally speaking this will be a non issue for most people. You need $100 payout to even get an adsense check, and depending on your niche, even having 20k subscribers and tens of thousands of views a month simply won't get you that kind of revenue, so worrying about YouTube making profit out of your sub 1000 subscriber channel won't make any noticeably difference outside of user experience.

The main "concern" is control and options. The option to actually opt out of all ads if you want. TubeBuddy doesn't display ads, but because they qualify for YPP (and probably ARE monetizable but choose not to place ads) they probably get the option to opt out. Channels that don't want to be monetised (for a while there Draw with Jazza's personal vlog channel, he didn't want that channel being monetised because he didn't want ads to interfere with the experience)

So my concern is less about the financial side for the creator, and more about the user experience for those who don't want ads to begin with, such as channels that do charity work.

If creators are at least given the option to opt out of ads, that would be a preferred move from a branding standpoint. Could you imagine if a channel was doing a video to bring awareness to a topic, or fundraising, only to have ads that give the user an impression that the creator is somehow trying to monetise on a topic that maybe ethically they shouldn't.

Not that any of that will actually happen, but it is something that makes me think. And the viral sensations that still have to wait for a manual review of their channel before being accepted into the YPP, meanwhile their video that's blowing up is generating revenue for YouTube that they're missing out on.

I see why this is all happening, and I understand borrowed platform, monetisation diversification "don't put all your eggs in one bascket" mentality, but it's interesting to think about.

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
So my concern is less about the financial side for the creator, and more about the user experience for those who don't want ads to begin with, such as channels that do charity work.

If creators are at least given the option to opt out of ads, that would be a preferred move from a branding standpoint. Could you imagine if a channel was doing a video to bring awareness to a topic, or fundraising, only to have ads that give the user an impression that the creator is somehow trying to monetise on a topic that maybe ethically they shouldn't.
I think this nails it right here. This is the legitimate reason to be concerned and YouTube really needs to make it clear how they are going to manage this. I mean my educated guess is that most videos in these niches aren't the ones they need to be able to monetize. E.g. if you have a video on conflict resolution or non-violent communication, I don't think they have a ton of ads that would target that audience. On the other hand, if you have a trending video on the latest bit of tech, they probably have a lot of ad content they could stick on those videos.

But giving creators control is going to be the real test of this.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
So... the REAL thing that we need to be discussing is creating CPE value in our videos @Andrew can I call dibs on a livestream addressing this with @SILTHW PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE with a cherry on top?!