• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help I'm Trying To Figure Out The Logic Behind The Monetization System

Elementia Studios

I've been trying to monetize my channel for a few months now, and I'm at a complete loss. See, I made some audiobooks which got over 10k views each, and put me well over the requirements for monetization before I realized that's against YouTube's guidelines, so I deleted them, but my other videos still had over 4k hours of watch time collectively. I've gone over my other videos and they all seem advertiser friendly, and since I still have the requirements (albeit just barely), I keep getting my application denied. Is this because I deleted my best-performing videos? Or why could this be? Please help me out, I'm getting weary with the lack of communication YouTube is giving me.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Likely it is becauae you still have a red flag from the copyrighted videos... although do the rest of your videos collectively mass 4,000 hours in the past 12 months?

If no then that is your answer, though i would suspect that once dinged for copyright claims of that magnitude it may be a shirt time before they reconsider monetizing you. I would guess 1-3 months based on things Ive seen them do with other channels in the past. Mind you I say this blindly; ive never heard specific information but am simply judging on things i have seen them do. Its like they wait a month to see what your current traffic is looking like.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
If you were publishing videos that were against YouTube's guidelines and they were copyright violations, there's a good chance the channel will never be able to monetised. It's not just about meeting the requirements, those are just a starting point. YouTube determin the "quality" of your channel as well. If you post videos for the sake of numbers and gaining views, that's no guarantee you'll be accepted.
requirements.PNG

If your channel has been in poor standings, and you delete those videos, the history will still be there on their side, they can still see what and HOW you got your stats, and they will also look at the videos you have, you can say they've included descriptions and thumbnails... repetitive thumbnails, repetitive titles, repetitive videos will be seen as spam videos of poor quality, especially more so if they were copyright violations, so if you were re-uploading other people's audio books, it's unlikely the channel will ever be monetized.

Unless you can prove the channel's overall value to the audience, and at that point it's up to the reviewer's discretion.

OP
OP
E

Elementia Studios

Likely it is becauae you still have a red flag from the copyrighted videos... although do the rest of your videos collectively mass 4,000 hours in the past 12 months?

If no then that is your answer, though i would suspect that once dinged for copyright claims of that magnitude it may be a shirt time before they reconsider monetizing you. I would guess 1-3 months based on things Ive seen them do with other channels in the past. Mind you I say this blindly; ive never heard specific information but am simply judging on things i have seen them do. Its like they wait a month to see what your current traffic is looking like.
I didnΓÇÖt get a red flag, as far as I know no one at YouTub even knows I made those videos, they just see that the videos I got the majority of my watch time with are gone. What that may mean, I donΓÇÖt know.

If you were publishing videos that were against YouTube's guidelines and they were copyright violations, there's a good chance the channel will never be able to monetised. It's not just about meeting the requirements, those are just a starting point. YouTube determin the "quality" of your channel as well. If you post videos for the sake of numbers and gaining views, that's no guarantee you'll be accepted.
View attachment 8172

If your channel has been in poor standings, and you delete those videos, the history will still be there on their side, they can still see what and HOW you got your stats, and they will also look at the videos you have, you can say they've included descriptions and thumbnails... repetitive thumbnails, repetitive titles, repetitive videos will be seen as spam videos of poor quality, especially more so if they were copyright violations, so if you were re-uploading other people's audio books, it's unlikely the channel will ever be monetized.

Unless you can prove the channel's overall value to the audience, and at that point it's up to the reviewer's discretion.
So even if I never got a copyright claim/strike they still know I made those videos and wonΓÇÖt monetize my channel? Also, you say they look for quality, and not just making videos for clicks and views. Is there something specific in my videos that will be viewed as low quality, or as only for monetary gain?

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I didnΓÇÖt get a red flag, as far as I know no one at YouTub even knows I made those videos, they just see that the videos I got the majority of my watch time with are gone. What that may mean, I donΓÇÖt know.

So even if I never got a copyright claim/strike they still know I made those videos and wonΓÇÖt monetize my channel? Also, you say they look for quality, and not just making videos for clicks and views. Is there something specific in my videos that will be viewed as low quality, or as only for monetary gain?
Yes... it is likely taken into account with the AI system well before you ever get a manual review. And no, they can DEFINITELY see more than that a majority of the videos which got you views are gone.

Reactions: Elementia Studios

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
OK, I'm a hiring manager. I want to hire and pay someone to do something for me. Here are the people I can choose from:
(1) Hard worker, bootstrapped from scratch. Consistent execution. Never given me or anyone else any problems. Has a clear area of expertise that matters to what I am hiring them for.
(2) Bootstrapped themself. Sort of a jack of all trades, master of none. Inconsistent.
(3) Lied about their experience. Ends up they were passing someone else's work off as their own. Got called out and seems to have cleaned up their resume. A lot of potential talent, but history calls their judgement into account.

Who are you hiring?

OP
OP
E

Elementia Studios

Yes... it is likely taken into account with the AI system well before you ever get a manual review. And no, they can DEFINITELY see more than that a majority of the videos which got you views are gone.
So I'm guessing I'll have to get some new videos of similar success before I can hope to monetize. Is that correct? And any other videos you think I should change/delete?

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
OK, I'm a hiring manager. I want to hire and pay someone to do something for me. Here are the people I can choose from:
(1) Hard worker, bootstrapped from scratch. Consistent execution. Never given me or anyone else any problems. Has a clear area of expertise that matters to what I am hiring them for.
(2) Bootstrapped themself. Sort of a jack of all trades, master of none. Inconsistent.
(3) Lied about their experience. Ends up they were passing someone else's work off as their own. Got called out and seems to have cleaned up their resume. A lot of potential talent, but history calls their judgement into account.

Who are you hiring?

I'll go with 3. Because I'm a rebel. :joy:

Actually, this is a good way of putting it. It might get some people upset but honestly, people need to be told straight forward, no cuddling.

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
So I'm guessing I'll have to get some new videos of similar success before I can hope to monetize. Is that correct? And any other videos you think I should change/delete?
I could not tell you what you need to keep or delete... that's above my pay grade. But I will say it is likely going to take some tme for your channel to get into good standing behind the scenes. Another thing to consider; if you gained 3,500 subscribers as a result of those videos then they may be looking to see if your more legitimate content can also attract subscribers. Or they may be waiting to see if you are just going to start rehashing copyrighted content again. Keep making content, give it some time and keep growing. You can get beyond this, it is just going to take some time.