• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Editing Software Understanding video formats! HELP

Randomlifestylevlog

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
I would like to get some understanding and clarification on video formats! We all know you go into a video program and when you go to export you are faced with apple pro res, h264, dv pal, ntsc and like a million others! I use the default 1080 p export settings in final cut pro but i really want to understand more formats etc! Can any one shed some light on these?

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I would like to get some understanding and clarification on video formats! We all know you go into a video program and when you go to export you are faced with apple pro res, h264, dv pal, ntsc and like a million others! I use the default 1080 p export settings in final cut pro but i really want to understand more formats etc! Can any one shed some light on these?
This is a very complex topic, but I will give you a basic overview.

The biggest point of confusion is the difference between a CODEC (h.264, h.265) and a container (.mov, .mp4). Some CODECs transcode video and some transcode audio. Containers are wrappers that typically include at least 1 transcoded video track and 1 transcoded audio track.

The reason so many CODECs exist is because the different ones have different pros and cons. Some are light on the CPU when encoding, but heavy when decoding. Some use tricks to compress the video or audio segment to preserve as high of a quality as possible while making the smallest file possible. Some preserve specific types of data (e.g. alpha channel data) that is only useful in very specific applications, but unnecessary for most use cases.

Generally speaking (and this is a simplification), sticking with h.264 for video and using AAC or liner PCM for audio inside of a .mov or .mp4 container will provide the highest level of compatibility across most non-specialized uses. Although the industry is shifting to h265 for video encoding.