• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question TRAILERS - Should you have one.

on a dark night

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm still working on my channel and discovering what does and doesnt work but I was wondering would a trailer help in generating interest/views?
I have different playlists on my channel all themed around the horror genre so I wondered if I made a trailer highlighting what the channel was about would it help.

Has anybody else made a trailer and do you feel it contributed to views.
It is one of the suggestions in youtube studio so it got me thinking.

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Recently we had a discussion regarding similar topic and good points were discussed in that thread.

Maybe it will help you out !

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
personally, my channel trailer has a lot of views and is a great promotion strategy. i think everyone should make one!
Usually the reason why a channel trailer has a lot of views, is typically because it's the first thing people see on a channel when they're new and channel trailers generally autoplay so that's where those views would come from. My first channel trailer was horrible but it still ended up getting a few thousand views simply because it was the first thing that loaded whenever someone came to visit my channel.

That said, a well crafted short trailer that gets to the point can be a very nice quick way to convince someone to subscribe before they've even taken a look at the majority of your videos.

Reactions: SoyManuelMedina

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Why not have one? It doesn't hurt. It might help. It gives you a chance to tell people who aren't subscribed about the channel and what your topics are.

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
For me, my channel trailer did bring lots more views, but only because it auto plays, but IΓÇÖm thinking of using a shorts to replace my current trailer.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Why not have one? It doesn't hurt. It might help. It gives you a chance to tell people who aren't subscribed about the channel and what your topics are.
I believe a channel trailer is a great way to represent a channel when the channel it'self is new and doesn't have much of a gallery to stand on it's own. My first video was a channel trailer, I literally had nothing on my channel to show, so I basically did a quick video introducing myself, showing some of the art I made in the past and the old "if you like art and you like these pieces, subscribe and you might like what else I publish in the future" Still not a bad strategy I think when you have nothing else to show, it gives anyone who arrives a quick idea of what will be there, even if there isn't anything there YET.

That said, it was about 3 years ago when I think Nick Nimmin and some other suggested trying to use a video with your most watch time and views, and using THAT as your channel trailer, which depending on the length I think could be an even better idea. I did do this for a while (I think I still am? I can't fully remember) but if you're like me, you generally pause a channel trailer when you visit a site, and supposedly 10 second is counted as a view... if someone pauses after 10 or so seconds, that's going to really hurt the performance of the video, so thats why it's probably better to go with a video that has amazing watch time already, because that way it will grab attention and distract your viewer into watching, and might well win the subscribe click before they even get a chance to look at the rest of the channel.

I do need to form a new channel trailer because I kinda think having a quick snappy 1 minute trailer might still be a better strategy to prevent harming watch time of another video that you use as a channel trailer. Whatever you use, you want it to be so good that it distracts the viewer from pausing.

I've also noticed some channels I HEAR the trailer before I actually see it because I don't pay attention to channel trailers normally. They autoplay so if the audio is attention grabbing without being annoying, it could well cause someone to scroll up to it to watch.

Venus Springs

For me, my channel trailer did bring lots more views, but only because it auto plays, but IΓÇÖm thinking of using a shorts to replace my current trailer.
I have been doing a teaser of my videos and posting them as shorts. I think it's working but It's really hard to tell sometimes. I'm still trying to understand all of the analytics.

Last edited by a moderator:

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Agreed with @talanajordan. My channel trailer may be simple in terms of editing style, but it is a great promotion strategy as they say.