• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion New government? New FTC? Less harsh YouTube regulations?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't know weather this is an opinion or a question, or if this would really fit under YouTube discussion or general discussion, but the focus of this topic is specifically on the FTC and how it's been used to regulate YouTube in recent years, so I feel this fits more under YouTube discussion.

We've had a VERY interesting few years under the previous government in regards to the FTC in terms of disclosures and COPPA.

I don't expect COPPA focused narratives to change, but with a Federal Trades Commission now operating under a new American Government... do you think this is going to change the FTC at all? And in that regard do you think anything will change for YouTube, or more hopefully, relax a bit for YouTube. The FTC hammering down on sponsorship disclosures I do think is an important think for consumer and audience trust, but the amount of fear and uncertainty the YouTube creators were starting to feel under previous Government regulations... I guess I just hope now we have less things to fear in terms of regulations. We definitely NEED regulations of course, we can't have people doing whatever they want without responsibilities, but toning down the authoritarian regulations I think will hopefully be a good thing.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
It is really hard to say what will happen. Ajit Pai is pretty unliked by consumers, but loved by corporations. He was a former lobbyist for Verizon. He has rolled back a ton of the net neutrality protections and done a lot of things to limit competition in the markets, especially in the internet service provider space.

I suspect you will see a lot more pro-consumer type of stuff happen, but it is really hard to gauge what that means. I do think there will be a lot more stability over the knee-jerk reactions we have seen recently.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
FTC likely won't change directors until after 2022 from what is being said
Not exactly. There is already an announced plan to immediately reverse the net neutrality rules. And the FCC (not FTC) director is a political appointee and will by protocol resign immediately on the new administration.

Source: former government appointee....