• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Delete old videos and links to my website

Kulture ChroniK

kulturechronik.fr
Subscriber Goal
Hello everyone,

I would have 2 questions.

I would like to know if it can be useful to delete old videos that are from the start of my channel and videos that have few views or decrease viewing time? In SEO for a website it is advisable to remove some old articles that are harmful to SEO, is it the same on youtube?

Towards the end of the descriptions of my videos, I put a lot of links to my website, can this be detrimental to the positioning of my videos? Can't it distort the subject of the videos and give the youtube bots bad information?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: dimond

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I suggest leaving old content... if it is still pulling in a noticeable amount of subscribers there may be an issue (you don't want to add on subs who are not going to be interested in your new direction). But from an SEO standpoint old videos are not going to affect the performance of new videos.

Having links in your description is fine. You dont want to over do the links and be mindful that links which successfully lead viewers away from the platform en masse may affect the performance of your video. Be aware that the first 200 characters of the description is weighted more heavily towards your SEO. But other than that there are no issues with links to your website.

Laurenk

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
If I were you, I wouldn't delete my videos. Yeah they may be old and they may also not be the best quality however they will bring in more views, potentially more subscribers and they will also show people how you are dedicated and how much graft you have put into your channel. I think, when you private or remove a video, you lose the views on the video. I could be wrong though so don't quote me on that. Good Luck

MrGoodhand

KEEP THEM!!!
Every video on YouTube is individually rated, and will not affect your "score". I remember seeing a video about this that a search engine engineer was answering questions, and he stated as such that every video is a separate "entity" and the algo will judge them as such. I tried finding it, but I cant remember where I actually saw it.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm more curious how many people actually sort by oldest. I think most people just enjoy the current videos and then find their way to your other videos from there, so I wouldn't really worry about older content. Your older content is the history of your channel and memories. If they still align with the purpose of your channel keep them. BUT if you want to pivot into a new direction, you can always just unlist them to test out. But I'd say leave them.

OP
OP
Kulture ChroniK

Kulture ChroniK

kulturechronik.fr
Subscriber Goal
I'm more curious how many people actually sort by oldest. I think most people just enjoy the current videos and then find their way to your other videos from there, so I wouldn't really worry about older content. Your older content is the history of your channel and memories. If they still align with the purpose of your channel keep them. BUT if you want to pivot into a new direction, you can always just unlist them to test out. But I'd say leave them.

No the question is not in relation to people who would sort by older but in relation to the functioning of websites.

In terms of websites, old articles that are no longer read, short articles etc ... penalize your entire site and your new articles have less visibility and audience and in many situations it is advisable to deindex them or to delete them. It is a fairly common practice on the internet to delete a lot of blog posts from your websites.

For example, a site that does a lot of news items that are only a few lines long has every interest in deindexing or deleting them after a while so as not to penalize its website and its next articles.

And since in both cases it is Google in charge (Youtube and Google) I thought it could work the same way.

Apparently, given the many answers I was wrong.