• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice What should be my next step after optimising my channel?

chupadoodles

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hi guys,

I've finished optimising my channel (and all my videos) but I am a little stuck on what to do next.

I produce videos weekly as consistently as I can and I share them on Reddit. My videos still average less than 100 views.

Could I get some advice on what I should do? Or do I just need to give it more time?

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wealthcircle

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Definitely need to be prepared for the long haul... optimization is important but now you need peoole to see it and that doesnt happen overnight. I would suggest maybe researching various online forums to help promote your work... but honestly the most important thing you can do is to hone your video skilkset. Make AMAZING videos, that is the number 1 thing to do. Never stop improving!

OP
OP
chupadoodles

chupadoodles

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Definitely need to be prepared for the long haul... optimization is important but now you need peoole to see it and that doesnt happen overnight. I would suggest maybe researching various online forums to help promote your work... but honestly the most important thing you can do is to hone your video skilkset. Make AMAZING videos, that is the number 1 thing to do. Never stop improving!

Hi Stanley, I see - I just need to develop more patience and do more research on forums in my niche!

I will definitely try to improve my skills - especially putting more effort into my thumbnails and title creation.

I think I am mainly worried that I am missing something out - like that I am doing something incorrectly.

Thank you for your advice!

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
@chupadoodles yeah i know the feeling... I won't lie I've been doing this since 2016 and I still feel the same. Like I'm doing something harmful to my channel or I'm just not maximizing my potential.

The truth is that just having a focus on SEO optimization etc is a huge step up. As long as you focus on the most important aspects of search and discovery; intriguing titles, highly-clickable thumbnails, entertaining and ever-improving videos sprinkled with a little optimization for search you will end up doing just fine. Focus on specific milestones; 100 videos is an important one because you are going to be SO much better at everything after having done it 100 times. But also 400 is an important one... the average YouTube creator with 100,000 subscribers has created 400 videos. The faster you can get there making good quality content that faster you will see serious results on your channel!

OP
OP
chupadoodles

chupadoodles

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hi Stanley,

I just want to apologise for the late reply - been doing some major reorganization!

I see so it is a common feeling then. Thank you for being so helpful and sharing your experience on this journey! That is true - I just need to keep focusing on those elements and keep on going. I am only at 13 videos now (after I've unlisted a few) so I will wait until I reach 100!

Thank you again for your reply and best of luck with your channel! It looks really interesting! :)

@chupadoodles yeah i know the feeling... I won't lie I've been doing this since 2016 and I still feel the same. Like I'm doing something harmful to my channel or I'm just not maximizing my potential.

The truth is that just having a focus on SEO optimization etc is a huge step up. As long as you focus on the most important aspects of search and discovery; intriguing titles, highly-clickable thumbnails, entertaining and ever-improving videos sprinkled with a little optimization for search you will end up doing just fine. Focus on specific milestones; 100 videos is an important one because you are going to be SO much better at everything after having done it 100 times. But also 400 is an important one... the average YouTube creator with 100,000 subscribers has created 400 videos. The faster you can get there making good quality content that faster you will see serious results on your channel!

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Totally understand! The pleasure is all mine and good luck!

Travel Like Water

Subscriber Goal
Enjoy the process. I think the more we focus on 100 videos or 400 videos and getting 100k subscribers we lose our aura about creating the first place. Finally trust the process. Overnight celebrities come and go but a legend stays forever!

golfwithjohn

Subscriber Goal

That's a crazy stat! I'm creating a new video every other week (1st and 3rd Monday is when I launch) and this equates to 26 videos a year. If that is the case, am I doing it wrong? Do I need to post more videos? But it's also hard to get out to the golf course now that it's cold to film every day.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
That's a crazy stat! I'm creating a new video every other week (1st and 3rd Monday is when I launch) and this equates to 26 videos a year. If that is the case, am I doing it wrong? Do I need to post more videos? But it's also hard to get out to the golf course now that it's cold to film every day.
There are lots of posts that may or may not be specific to your niche. But when it comes to content, you want enough that if SEO, Thumbnail and everything else comes together to deliver you a viewer, you have other content for them to check out so that they stay on your channel and YouTube versus heading off to the next thing.

For everyone, that number may vary, but most feel it takes 50-100 (I know, large range) to get to that first stage. And then 500-1000 to really hit the very-large sub/view count (e.g. 100k+, etc.)

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
@golfwithjohn I face exactly the same thing as a fishermen. The number of videos you put out greatly depends on the kind and quality of content you're making. For me I want to be Jacques Cousteau. I want to make documentary films like him. There is no way possible to produce three videos a week like that.
I have one fishing adventure I've been working on for a month.

I imagine your audience is the same way. You simply can't get out there often enough, and they may not want to watch you at home yapping about golf in your living room. Some of our niches are seasonal by nature. So I think for channels like our, the quality of content becomes the most important thing over the sheer quantity of videos.

One thing I plan to experiment with in put up my own fishing video training class, and build a team of guys cranking out videos for the channel without me. It's a question of scale. You may not be able to crank out videos in the quantity "needed," but if your channel was run more like that of a magazine, newspaper, or TV station, you could easily build up a bank of content that kept steamrolling all the time.

To build a business, instead of asking, "How can I possible get out that many videos?" Ask, "Who the heck can I get to do all this work!?!" Realistically I can only get out one or two documentary-film level videos per month. But if I run a few good men through a training program and have them make the bulk of the content for the channel, then problem solved. I can spend my time making the kinds of content I'm best at making.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi guys,

I've finished optimising my channel (and all my videos) but I am a little stuck on what to do next.

I produce videos weekly as consistently as I can and I share them on Reddit. My videos still average less than 100 views.

Could I get some advice on what I should do? Or do I just need to give it more time?

Cheers!
If you've done all the best practices, I'd be looking at your audience retention graphs. the audience retention on each individual level will give you some insight into how interesting your videos are overall. I still have big drops in my first minute or so, so that's what I'm focusing on with my channel. There's only so much you can do on the surface of a channel. The best thumbnail and SEO in the world is a great start, but if your video it'self is boring and people click out quickly, YouTube isn't going to recommend those videos as much which will effect your views.

If you're seeing big dips in you audience retention on a per video level, maybe you didn't include enough edits, maybe you had a static one shot video for 1 minute which bored your audience (a bit problem in my early videos) or maybe you're verbal delivery isn't as passionate as it could be (I've had drops once I started talking because my talking is boring to people) all these indications will make sure your next videos are even better over time.

golfwithjohn

Subscriber Goal
build a team of guy cranking out video for the channel without me
Nice! That is an awesome idea. Would these people be partners, employees or contractors? In my golf niche I see all the top players I watch do some kind of cross channel videos where they'll feature in each others shows. Maybe that is the way to go in terms of getting more content and reach. Thanks for the thought!

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Nice! That is an awesome idea. Would these people be partners, employees or contractors? In my golf niche I see all the top players I watch do some kind of cross channel videos where they'll feature in each others shows. Maybe that is the way to go in terms of getting more content and reach. Thanks for the thought!

Good question! In short: Contractors will do the work. The longer answer is they would be people selected from my own audience, and only those who make it through my training program. I would pay them directly on a per video basis for the videos. This way they can learn on my dime, and gain the experience need to launch their own videos.

Some people are not entrepreneurial. They function much better as a part of a team. They'll never start their own channel, but want to get involved somehow. These types are perfectly willing to help you build your brand.

Out of the 8,000 subscribers, I should be able to find eight good people willing to make content for the channel once completing my training. Imagine having eight or 10 people making content for your channel as opposed to you doing everything. I'm not sure who came up with this idea that you have to do everything.

• Love
Reactions: golfwithjohn

golfwithjohn

Subscriber Goal
The longer answer is they would be people selected from my own audience, and only those who make it through my training program

What a win-win situation for those who work with you. It's like a paid internship. One good advice I received when I was finding roommates for my home was "put up an ad with few steps. If the potential renter doesn't follow each step, then disqualify them. If they can't follow simple orders, how are they going to follow house rules?" This may be beneficial for you when you search for your contractors!