• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Life Do you have a day similar to Thanksgiving in the US you celebrate?

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I'm curious. For those members who live outside the US, do you have a holiday similar to what we celebrate as Thanksgiving in your country? One celebrated any time of the year? I know Canada has a Thanksgiving Day of their own which they recently celebrated and honestly, I had no idea they did till this year.

In Puerto Rico we celebrate the same Thanksgiving as the US since we are a territory of the US. But we have holidays of our own that are not necessarily celebrated in the US like Three Kings Day when children collect grass in a shoebox and place it next to their beds on January 6th and wait for The Three Kings, on their way to see baby Jesus, to stop by, feed their camels and leave a gift for the children. I believe this is also celebrated across most if not all Hispanic countries.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
What happens on Thanksgiving ? I am sorry I dunno.
India is tough because of all of the festivals, but I would say Diwali is closest to US Thanksgiving. It's where you get together with family, eat traditional food and give thanks for what you have.

To the original question, almost every place I've been has something similar.

Reactions: BraveStar

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Every day is a holiday, every meal is a feast. Oh... no that was an old Navy saying. Never mind...

Here in the Philippines they do not have a Thanksgiving per se, but they have more holidays and fiestas than any place I have ever been. They love family get togethers, and eating.

But there are enough American expats that some of the restaurants will put on a Thanksgiving feed, for us. It can be pretty good but there are some things missing - rice instead of potatoes or stuffing, if there is cranberry it is from a can, and no pumpkin pie. As long as there is a good imported American ham I do not mind. Good ham is hard to find here. I had not realized that Thanksgiving was coming soon, and I am unsure what this year will be like. First, no gatherings are allowed, second, the town I am in this year has mostly European expats not American... but a good schnitzel is better than turkey!

• Love

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
India is tough because of all of the festivals, but I would say Diwali is closest to US Thanksgiving. It's where you get together with family, eat traditional food and give thanks for what you have.

To the original question, almost every place I've been has something similar.
oh ! thank you for the explanation. We have loooots of festivals with gatherings and all but not exactly sitting together and giving thanks.

OP
OP
BraveStar

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
What happens on Thanksgiving ? I am sorry I dunno.

In essence, it's a day we celebrate to give thanks for what we have. Sadly the history behind what Thanksgiving represents is not a great one for us but we try to keep the spirit of the meaning behind it.

Every day is a holiday, every meal is a feast. Oh... no that was an old Navy saying. Never mind...

Here in the Philippines they do not have a Thanksgiving per se, but they have more holidays and fiestas than any place I have ever been. They love family get togethers, and eating.

But there are enough American expats that some of the restaurants will put on a Thanksgiving feed, for us. It can be pretty good but there are some things missing - rice instead of potatoes or stuffing, if there is cranberry it is from a can, and no pumpkin pie. As long as there is a good imported American ham I do not mind. Good ham is hard to find here. I had not realized that Thanksgiving was coming soon, and I am unsure what this year will be like. First, no gatherings are allowed, second, the town I am in this year has mostly European expats not American... but a good schnitzel is better than turkey!

LOL, nice.

I have always wondered why in the US we don't have more holidays than we do. So many countries celebrate so many things and they literally put the countries on hold to celebrate yet we only celebrate some things. Considering the money to be made with all these celebrations. LOL