• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Do you find big channels overshadow your reach?

Randomlifestylevlog

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
I am curious by this. As an example, we had a video that no one else had done an unboxing off. We got it live and out of the blue a big channel comes along does the same thing and posts on exactly the same day as you. We premiered this as well which may not have helped. Has anyone experienced this? I understand they are a larger channel but this can be frustrating!

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Well, the truth is you're always gonna compete against channels in your same genre with similar keywords and are always gonna rank better than you if they have already built a connection with the algorithm and they have more time, content and viewers.

As for the fact they managed to do the same video as you at the same time that is out of everyone's control. Unless they are somehow aware of your content and competing against you directly it seems like a coincidence and bad timing.

Reactions: ccrtelevision

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Not at all. Ive been able to rank next to some of my favorite competitors, TubeBuddy has been EXCEPTIONAL for that.

In fact i also look for 'mini-wake' trends. When a large creator makes a video they create a very small trend for that topic. So if I make a similar video and post it at the same time i can effectively siphon some suggested views and hopefully get suggested by their video.

Reactions: Damon
Lots of competing opinions here :joy: :)

So, hypothtically speaking if you have identical titles, descriptions & keywords as a bigger channel (and thus surely the same in search results),

... it sounds like one mod is saying:

1. youtube will tend to show bigger channels before yours regardless.

... another mod is saying:

2. this is not true not at all. Youtube will rank them side-by side.

Stanley (who gave answer 2) how long does it take you to find keywords for each of your videos?

Does youtube add extra weight to number of subscribers, total channel views, total channel comments & total likes? If so then there's no way for anyone new with 0 views, to break that- it's a bit like the rich keeping the poor down lol. The only way to break into search results would be to do something that has never been done before to avoid competition.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Lots of competing opinions here :joy: :)

So, hypothtically speaking if you have identical titles, descriptions & keywords as a bigger channel (and thus surely the same in search results),

... it sounds like one mod is saying:

1. youtube will tend to show bigger channels before yours regardless.

... another mod is saying:

2. this is not true not at all. Youtube will rank them side-by side.

Stanley (who gave answer 2) how long does it take you to find keywords for each of your videos?

Does youtube add extra weight to number of subscribers, total channel views, total channel comments & total likes? If so then there's no way for anyone new with 0 views, to break that- it's a bit like the rich keeping the poor down lol. The only way to break into search results would be to do something that has never been done before to avoid competition.
Here is the answer directly from the YouTube team that works on search and discovery:

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I am curious by this. As an example, we had a video that no one else had done an unboxing off. We got it live and out of the blue a big channel comes along does the same thing and posts on exactly the same day as you. We premiered this as well which may not have helped. Has anyone experienced this? I understand they are a larger channel but this can be frustrating!
I guess this is what we call "researching trends and competition"

If a big YouTuber sees a smaller YouTuber in their niche is performing really well for a certain type of content, of course they're going to peruse the same content. I've seen channels doing videos I haven't covered that are smaller than me and I'm considering tackling them because I feel I can do them better and get more views from it. It's part of "the game" and a good strategy.

I don't necessarily know if it's completely overshadowing though... It depends how many people are looking for that type of unboxing to begin with? If anyway, maybe the bigger channel covering it, might mean YOUR video gets recommended or suggested, seems if you're covering the topic they are, if there are no other creators covering it and there's only your video covering it, that's another chance to be recommended on a MUCH larger channel, so I'd see that as actually being a good thing long term.

It can be frustrating, but try to see it as a glass half full opportunity to be discovered on a bigger channel's suggested. And in that situation, you want a great thumbnail that catches viewers eyes in that other video's suggested areas.

Reactions: Randomlifestylevlog