• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Using Facebook/Reddit groups

Tyler Durden

I'm thinking about posting my videos to related Facebook groups and reddit pages. Is there any disadvantage to posting the same post and video to multiple groups on the same day? I've got like 200 related groups on facebook.

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
The reddit website could see the duplicate post and video as spam eventually since you would be posting the same video and post multiple times across the forum there. For the facebook strategy to be effective, I think you should post specific math topics to groups that are looking for that specific math topic (such as quadratics, factoring, etc). This way people find your video when searching for a specific math topic rather than all math subject mixed into the same group. Also, remember to check the Facebook groups' guidelines before posting the videos to see what they have to say about it. If some of the same people are in multiple of the same groups you are in, they might see posting the same post and same video across the multiple groups as spam too. This is just my suggestions and opinion on this. I have not actually used any Facebook groups for my channel, so I don't fully understand how they all work but these would be general things you would want to watch out for. Getting the videos out to as many people as possible that might be searching for those math topics might be helpful too though. I hope this helps at least a little bit.

Reactions: Hamid

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm thinking about posting my videos to related Facebook groups and reddit pages. Is there any disadvantage to posting the same post and video to multiple groups on the same day? I've got like 200 related groups on facebook.
Do you mean you're a member of 200 groups on Facebook? wow! Isn't that like a full time job in itself to manage that amount of groups?
I think it's potentially a waste of time to just drop videos in reddit pages and groups if you haven't already established some kind of relationship in those groups. If you're a well known member then maybe people will be more likely to care, but if you're not that well known at all, and you just want to drop links everywhere, you might be spending a LOT of time and effort, for not a significant amount of gain.

You're better off putting that energy into your videos, learning to make them better and more interesting, and then use a handful of groups that you're well known in to test to see if your better experience in editing and production is paying off, rather than just spreading links everywhere and just hoping they'll get clicks.

I don't use Facebook and I haven't actually shared on reddit so I might not really know what I'm talking about, but it just sounds like a LOT of effort, for not much reward, rather than focus your efforts on your video quality and editing, and share those links to places people know and care about you.

I only click random videos on reddit if the thumbnail and topic look AMAZINGLY exciting, and that's pretty rare.

OP
OP
T

Tyler Durden

It's not much effort. I just open up 10 tabs and paste in a short greeting and the video to each group. To do 50 groups didn't take 10 minutes. I tried it with a 10 minute video, got about 50 views, 2-3 subscribers and about 3 hours watch time in about 2 days. I did get about 50 facebook likes though. Reddit I tried one group and only got like one view and no upvotes.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
It's not much effort. I just open up 10 tabs and paste in a short greeting and the video to each group. To do 50 groups didn't take 10 minutes. I tried it with a 10 minute video, got about 50 views, 2-3 subscribers and about 3 hours watch time in about 2 days. I did get about 50 facebook likes though. Reddit I tried one group and only got like one view and no upvotes.

Just out of curiosity. Those this method work to get you to watch someone else video? I always think you have to look at a plan from the perspective of the person you're targetting the plan to. Put yourself in their place and ask yourself if it would work on you. For example, to me, if I was to notice you posted the same link on multiple Reddit or Facebook pages I happen to be on I may see it as a bot or maybe some kind of automation which, to me, would come off as an ad rather than a call to watch a video.

Of course, this is just my opinion and this idea will likely work differently for everyone. But the idea is to stand out and catch attention.

Just my 2 cents. If it's not much work I say go for it. What have you got to lose? Just be aware of the potential spamming part @Legacy mentioned.

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Make sure every video is exactly on topic for what the people in the specific group would like and enjoy. You need to be very careful when promoting your video because the risk is large that your video will reach people without a major interest in our video just clicking in and then leaving in a few seconds giving you a very bad audience retention which will make the YouTube algorithm believe that your video is bad.

I promote my videos on Reddit but only when I'm 99% sure that the video will get a positive reception, be of interest and bring value to the specific sub Reddit. This means that I don't promote most of my videos since just spamming them around would probably have a negative effect on my channel and my reputation. Also make sure you are a established member of the FB/reddit where you promote and that you follow whatever rules they have set up.

goldfries

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
You can try, I've been posting my videos to MANY groups and it's quite disappointing.

All you have to do is look at the analytics of your Youtube channel account and see how many are coming from FB.

On my 300 subs channel - 39.3% are from external and from that 39.3% there's 12.5% out of that from FB, that's because I shared in a few replies. Basically it's around 4% of overall traffic.

On my 5.8k subs channel - 25.5% are from external and from that 25.5% only 2.6% out of that are from FB - and that after I've shared to a few related groups with many members, my own profile, own page and even promoted some videos by a few hundred $$$ (client wants 100,000 views). 2.6% of that 25.5% means it's contributing less than 1% of my entire traffic.

OP
OP
T

Tyler Durden

I do worry about audience retention but I'd have to do a couple of postings to see how different it would be compared to straight youtube.