• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Advice Regarding lighting

Cheche004

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I film using my iphone 6s front cam and I need a lot of light to get that quality. Once I used a white strip light and the video quality ruined. Please help me. Normally I use golden hour to film. looks like that light was too harsh on my face

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Are. you looking for a light suggestion or how to deal with an overexposed video?

Reactions: Cheche004

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
You can get some inexpensive ring lights from Amazon. Looking on Amazon now, I see one for about $17 USD and there's also one for about $30 USD. You can also open the curtains and pull up the blinds on your windows to create natural light, especially if it's a cloudy day, but otherwise bright outside. I also have these LED strip lights hanging around my bed room that lets me adjust the brightness and color of the lights, so that I can control how bright they are when I'm doing videos.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I'll echo @Legacy's advice here but add a few things.

Ring lights exist to provide even light on a subject and reduce shadows. They are great for lifestyle, fashion and makeup vlogs where you need to eliminate shadows. They can be used for simple single-point light situations. It gives a "video" look to what you are doing.

On the other hand, understanding and controlling shadows is what gives something a cinematic or movie look. It is really hard to get that look with ring lights.

Given the nature of your channel a ring light is most likely fine. Your other option goes back to a question you asked previous. Getting a cage for your phone might be a better idea. I'm going to provide an amazon link - hoping it works. I'm not suggesting you buy the product, but the image shows how you can use a cage to hold a light and a mic.

chupadoodles

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I film using my iphone 6s front cam and I need a lot of light to get that quality. Once I used a white strip light and the video quality ruined. Please help me. Normally I use golden hour to film. looks like that light was too harsh on my face

Hi there! As with the rest of these posts, I would suggest getting a ring light - it is normally quite affordable - usually they have different light modes (warm, cool, inbetween) and intensities which would suit for your channel genre. It is quite a soft light and would be great for make up and showing the details of your face.

To reduce harsh lighting you can also consider getting a white foam board or a white flexible board. You place it the opposite of the light source. This reduces harsh shadows on the subject. Hopefully this helps! :)