• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Should I upload 1-2 minute teaser videos on Youtube?

golfwithjohn

Subscriber Goal
I'm creating 6-10 minutes golf everyshot videos that I've been working on. I'm planning to upload every 1st and 3rd Monday each month. I'm wondering if I should be uploading teaser videos for those longer videos of 1-2 minutes.

My concern is, would YT like those 1-2 minute videos? I haven't seen other people upload teaser videos before. Am I better off uploading those type of videos to my FB group and IG?

What are your thoughts?

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
It would depend on your channel analytics and how long your subscribers already expect your videos to be. If your subscribers are used to watching an 8 minute video, but then you post a 2 minute video that could hurt your watch time since your subscribers are used to seeing longer videos from you. But, if you are posting an 8 minute video and the audience retention isn't that great, then you could try experimenting with those short teaser videos to see how they do on your channel. You are also at the very beginning of your channel journey (50 subscribers), so you are at the stage where it is good and okay to experiment with these things. You could also post them to your IG and FB group and ask for opinions on it there too.
I have seen youtubers create channel teasers what summarize what their overall channel is about and what type of content they are going to be posting inside of one video. These channel teasers are often short too, like your teaser videos would be. But since you would be posting teaser videos of longer videos posted later, those videos might behave differently.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
You could try teasers of under 1 minute, and play with YT shorts. Just add #shorts in the title or description, to have the chance to be listed in their shorts shelf. I have tried a few, but unsure if they help, hurt, or are indifferent.

Reactions: golfwithjohn

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've considered making a quick impactful 1 minute video of my channel in a nutshell, but some have recommended instead of using a trailer, just use your best performing video as a representation of you.
The more I think about it now though, not all channel trailers are watched, half the time they're paused or skipped all together, so I wonder if having a high performing video in place of a channel trailer doesn't hurt that individual video in some way, which is why having a quick to the point 1 minute trailer kinda has more impact, if it isn't watched fully, no big issue, but if it IS watched fully, it may well win you a subscriber as well as being entertaining and adding some more data to your library.

I've been meaning to make a trailer video for the last 2-3 years now lol. I DID have a trailer video, but that was horrible after about 2 years, so I changed it simply to a time-lapse video that represented me much better than my original trailer video.

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hii ! So, I follow a travel channel . They get on hills / greenly areas / historic areas. Their videos are about 20min.

So, what they have done recently is , they first edit the teaser - 1min - usually the drone shots and cinematic views making the audience excited. They post that video in Community page mentioning the release date of the original video.

The next day they release the video .. because the audience now know what to expect and are really really waiting for it - they click it immediately .

This will FAIL if the teaser is not delivered right. Teaser should be made ULTIMATE - then I think it would work out !

I personally feel that it should not be done every time as it will gradually lose it magic. Use it like a weapon on YouTube and I love how @SILTHW mentioned about @Stanley Orchard . That is a really good idea to post it on social media - Sneak peaks!

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
golfwithjohn

golfwithjohn

Subscriber Goal
I like what @Stanley Orchard does. He uploads teasers to social media. So maybe FB, IG and even Twitter might be a good way to do it. The challenge with a teaser video on your channel is that it could cannibalize views from your other video, especially if it was uploaded shortly before the full video.
that's the other, I don't want this to distract from the actual full videos. I'm leaning towards the FB, IG route. The only other thing is, I edit my videos on my laptop but can't post to IG from it.. head scratcher

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I like what @Stanley Orchard does. He uploads teasers to social media. So maybe FB, IG and even Twitter might be a good way to do it. The challenge with a teaser video on your channel is that it could cannibalize views from your other video, especially if it was uploaded shortly before the full video.
Yup... the trick i try to do to avoid loss of views is using primarily unused B-Roll

Reactions: golfwithjohn
OP
OP
golfwithjohn

golfwithjohn

Subscriber Goal
Hii ! So, I follow a travel channel . They get on hills / greenly areas / historic areas. Their videos are about 20min.

So, what they have done recently is , they first edit the teaser - 1min - usually the drone shots and cinematic views making the audience excited. They post that video in Community page mentioning the release date of the original video.

The next day they release the video .. because the audience now know what to expect and are really really waiting for it - they click it immediately .

This will FAIL if the teaser is not delivered right. Teaser should be made ULTIMATE - then I think it would work out !

I personally feel that it should not be done every time as it will gradually lose it magic. Use it like a weapon on YouTube and I love how @SILTHW mentioned about @Stanley Orchard . That is a really good idea to post it on social media - Sneak peaks!
When you say Community page, is that a thing on YouTube or other forum?

Yup... the trick i try to do to avoid loss of views is using primarily unused B-Roll
I've made my trailer with shots that won't be added. But I made it sound like it was part of the full video soo.... we shall see how people react :D

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
that's the other, I don't want this to distract from the actual full videos. I'm leaning towards the FB, IG route. The only other thing is, I edit my videos on my laptop but can't post to IG from it.. head scratcher
Personally i take a LOT of footage and I use primarily unused clips for my social media posts. I also avoid doing so for videos that are more audience-centric or just don't require the push (like a how-to or a product review video).

erienne

Subscriber Goal

^^ that's what i was going to say as well! also, adding to the cannibalization, youtube favors longer videos since they would keep people on the platform for longer, so if your main goal of these short videos is to reach new people who aren't already subscribed to you so they'll watch the actual one, it's a bit harder for those to reach others because of this algorithm. but since other platforms like FB and IG video usually have shorter videos, you could upload the teasers there. this would also motivate people from your channel to follow your socials and vice-versa, so that's a win-win!

goldfries

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
15 - 30 seconds teasers on other platforms, point to Youtube.

OP
OP
golfwithjohn

golfwithjohn

Subscriber Goal
Thank you all for your feedback and thoughts! I decided to teaser to other social media and point to youtube for the full video. My plan is to upload the teasers the Friday before the Monday. (I post every 1st and 3rd Monday) and tell them on hey new video coming out! Stay tuned, style message.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Laurenk

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Hey,

I think if you are planning on making teaser vids, the best thing to do is to save them for social media. That's a great way of attracting people to your channel and it also won't hurt your channel if you are posting them on social media. Imagine all the people on your social media watched your teaser vid, they'd love it and then it would attract them to watch more therefore they'd click the link, watch your vids and hopefully subscribe!! Good Luck

Ragulsundaram

Very Well-Known Member
www.facttests.com
Subscriber Goal
Famous channels post teaser or trailer for famous contents or contents that public is waiting for most of the time.
I would suggest you not to waste the time on editing the trailer.