• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback Should I apply similar look and feel to older videos?

itstom

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hey all!
I've just recently created this thumbnail for my new video and was wondering if I should try to get all of my thumbnails to same design?
1603906746698.png

1603906644515.png

I was thinking of applying same colour to similar content e.g. one colour for reviews, other for gameplays etc..
Should I have all my videos have same colour or group them by colour?
Would that make much difference?

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Hey Tom, I am certainly not a thumbnail expert, but I do know a thing or two about branding. You have enough consistency to give you a brand feel. What I might do is focus on a common set of colors and one font for your main title as you go forward. There may be some value to going back, but I don't think I'd worry about it unless you see some analytics that lead you to believe making the changes will really improve your CTR.

Reactions: itstom
OP
OP
itstom

itstom

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Great stuff @SILTHW :) Obviously I am just at the beginning but better to nail it at the beginning :D

goldfries

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I'd say leave it. Even when I started off my new thumbnail range I didn't change my old ones because it's just too much effort.

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Your thumbnails look pretty decent already, like others have said. They already seem to have the "brand feel" to all of them because they already look similar to each other. I think it is important to stick with a set style for thumbnails so that they all look consistent throughout your channel. It also helps your channel to look more organized than if you were to have a different style for every thumbnail. As others have said, I would try to stick with the same set of colors for all the thumbnails and maybe the same font for your main titles on the thumbnails to help form your brand. This will also help people recognize when they search for videos that those are your videos because they recognize the thumbnails.
Your thumbnails look pretty similar already without going back and adjusting, so I wouldn't worry about it too much when it comes to going back and changing all the previous thumbnails. Just stick to the same style, colors, and fonts from here on out.

Maryprecious

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I'm not very good at making a thumbnail but I think yours are attractive enough to get you viewers.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I definitely like the text style more (though I'd add a little drop shadow to the text to add a bit more contrast) and before applying it to ALL your old thumbnails, take a look at the CTR for the new thumbnails, compared to the CTR of the old thumbnails. if the old thumbnails have consistantly lower CTR than the new one, then it's a safer bet, but if the new thumbnail style doesn't have a significant CTR boost, I'd simply leave it to the new ones for a bit to gather more data. You might not see much difference outside of visual branding, BUT if the new CTR is lower than the old style, then changing ALL the old thumbnails could actually be a bad thing, and you don't want to waste time applying a change to EVERYTHING only for it to not actually work out.

Start the change slow and gradual and see how it goes analytically and keep an eye on your CTR. If you have the A/B testing feature, DEFINITELY try that on a handful of thumbs.

• Love

HeatherPsyD

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
if they are performing well, i'd leave them alone. i really like your newest thumbnail. great use of colors

HenryBR

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
That's a pretty good approach in terms how you want your thumbnails for your videos to be displayed. However, if you have done your thumbnails in a certain way and it has been working fine. then I suggest you just stick with it. But it doesn't hurt to try something new.