• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Should I redo my previous videos tags?

chupadoodles

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hi everyone.

I just found out about Keyword Explorer recently and I realised the majority of my tags are considered poor. I was thinking of changing all the tags of my videos but when I Googled this there were a lot of mixed opinions.

I am still quite a new YouTuber with quite limited views so I am wondering what is your opinion on this matter?

Cheers!

Reactions: talanajordan

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Let's look at it in a slightly different way. Is there a down side to optimizing tags? There is some evidence that tags will become less important over time, but for now they seem to matter.

Reactions: chupadoodles

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi everyone.

I just found out about Keyword Explorer recently and I realised the majority of my tags are considered poor. I was thinking of changing all the tags of my videos but when I Googled this there were a lot of mixed opinions.

I am still quite a new YouTuber with quite limited views so I am wondering what is your opinion on this matter?

Cheers!

Could you post the video so we could give you more insight? When it comes to optimization there are many factors, so this can help us, help you!

OP
OP
chupadoodles

chupadoodles

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Let's look at it in a slightly different way. Is there a down side to optimizing tags? There is some evidence that tags will become less important over time, but for now they seem to matter.
I read online that changing tags may result in YouTube thinking that it is spammy behaviour. But that is true - there is no downside to optimizing tags so I might as well do it. Thank you for your help! :)

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I read online that changing tags may result in YouTube thinking that it is spammy behaviour. But that is true - there is no downside to optimizing tags so I might as well do it. Thank you for your help! :)
Don't confuse adding irrelevant tags with changing tags to better match your content and what people looking for your type of content may use in their search.

OP
OP
chupadoodles

chupadoodles

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Could you post the video so we could give you more insight? When it comes to optimization there are many factors, so this can help us, help you!

Just clarifying do you mean an example of one of my YouTube videos? Thank you for your reply! :)

Don't confuse adding irrelevant tags with changing tags to better match your content and what people looking for your type of content may use in their search.

Sometimes I get too worried about the minor details, I lose track of the big picture. I understand now - thanks again!

Reactions: SILTHW

Don Alabee

TubeBuddy User
www.ghananiephotography.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi everyone.

Cheers!

from time to time i go through my old videos and change tags according to the new things i have learnt. considering back then i was just adding tags without understanding what i was really doing. so i will say yes, for as long as those tags are related to the video.

OP
OP
chupadoodles

chupadoodles

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
from time to time i go through my old videos and change tags according to the new things i have learnt. considering back then i was just adding tags without understanding what i was really doing. so i will say yes, for as long as those tags are related to the video.
Ah I see, so it is quite common to change tags then. That is me aka adding tags without understanding what I'm really doing! Thank you for the information! :)

Reactions: Don Alabee

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
If the videos are already old enough to have accumilated data, and especially if theyΓÇÖre only single tags and theyΓÇÖre not ranking at all, I see no harm in changing them all up (i only do this on poor performing videos view wise, if the video is performing well, leave it alone, and I only do this to good performing videos with poor ranking tags if I donΓÇÖt care about the videoΓÇÖs future performance) It will change your search results temporarily but might help your be discovered more, especially if you can get ranking tags.

IΓÇÖve been going through my older videos that arenΓÇÖt performing, leaving some of the tags alone, but changing out the irrelevant tags for better ranking tags. IΓÇÖm now seeing lots of green numbers ranging from 15-1 and IΓÇÖm always looking to craft even better ones.

OP
OP
chupadoodles

chupadoodles

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
If the videos are already old enough to have accumilated data, and especially if theyΓÇÖre only single tags and theyΓÇÖre not ranking at all, I see no harm in changing them all up (i only do this on poor performing videos view wise, if the video is performing well, leave it alone, and I only do this to good performing videos with poor ranking tags if I donΓÇÖt care about the videoΓÇÖs future performance) It will change your search results temporarily but might help your be discovered more, especially if you can get ranking tags.

IΓÇÖve been going through my older videos that arenΓÇÖt performing, leaving some of the tags alone, but changing out the irrelevant tags for better ranking tags. IΓÇÖm now seeing lots of green numbers ranging from 15-1 and IΓÇÖm always looking to craft even better ones.
Ah I see - my videos are not performing well. They are all under 115 views and on average 50 views and its been there for around 3 months. So I've decided to change a majority of the tags for my videos especially the tags which are irrelevant. Thank you for your advice! :)