• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question regarding copyright issues

Cheche004

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
If I screen record a youtube video and put a part of that video in my channel will I get a copyright strike?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Unlikely youΓÇÖll get a copyright strike, but it depends on the context and situation. If youΓÇÖre responding/reacting with your own opinion, itΓÇÿs seen as ΓÇ£ΓÇÿfair useΓÇ¥ but itΓÇÖs still a grey area.
Some creators have access to a copyright tool that allows them to search and match videos for potential copyright violation, and if they donΓÇÖt like your video they can TRY and give your channel a strike.

If youΓÇÖre use of someone elseΓÇÖs content is transformative and in fair use, itΓÇÖs unlikely youΓÇÖll get a strike (reactions, reviews, opinions, using the video as an example or reference technically all fall under fair use) BUT if youΓÇÖre critical of a product for example, or you use the footage to complain about someone, or itΓÇÖs a clip from say Disney or a big studio, thereΓÇÖs always the risk that they wonΓÇÖt like your usage or permit it and give you a strike.

ItΓÇÖs incredibly rare to get a copyright strike. Copyright CLAIM, yes, all the time, but copyright strikes rarely occur.

if you get a copyright claim, it means the original clip owner doesnΓÇÖt necessarily want their footage being used, but will allow it and any ads placed on the video, they will get the money from. Usually copyright claims come from reactions to movie trailers, movie footage, or using music. If youΓÇÖre using music for the background of say, dancing videos, then yes, you will likely get copyright claims, and SOMETIMES copyright strikes,

One dance studio channel I used to follow do dance covers of famous songs and it turned out their channel was terminated because they got 3 strikes. ItΓÇÖs the risk you run when operating dance covers, music covers. I also follow a channel called ΓÇ£Rick beatoΓÇ¥ (i think thatΓÇÖs his name) who does breakdowns of songs and how big songs are produced, and heΓÇÖs received copyright strikes, not just copyright claims, mostly from Apple Music (the beatles) so he treads a fine line with his videos.