• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Best Practices for End Screens and Cards

MyBlocksStrongestMan

Recognized Member
Now that I'm happy with my thumbnail redesign and I've pinned a comment to every video, I want to do another pass through every video and ensure that the end screens and cards make logical sense.

Is there a more effective mapping that I should be following to provide the best logical watching path for the viewer?

For example, I have about 18 playlists. I was thinking that every video should have a Best for Viewer End screen and then my trailer should have an end screen that leads to one of my playlists with the most videos in it, but then should each video within that playlist have an end screen to its own playlist, to a single video within that playlist, or to something else like the first video in another playlist?

There seem to be many possibilities so I'm hoping for some guidance.

Also, I've been adding cards to random videos at about the 3 minute mark in all my videos. How can I be more strategic about that?

Thanks!

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Now that I'm happy with my thumbnail redesign and I've pinned a comment to every video, I want to do another pass through every video and ensure that the end screens and cards make logical sense.

Is there a more effective mapping that I should be following to provide the best logical watching path for the viewer?

For example, I have about 18 playlists. I was thinking that every video should have a Best for Viewer End screen and then my trailer should have an end screen that leads to one of my playlists with the most videos in it, but then should each video within that playlist have an end screen to its own playlist, to a single video within that playlist, or to something else like the first video in another playlist?

There seem to be many possibilities so I'm hoping for some guidance.

Also, I've been adding cards to random videos at about the 3 minute mark in all my videos. How can I be more strategic about that?

Thanks!
There is a common suggestion to take a look at where your audience drops off of the video and add a card to something related at that point.

As for end screen, you will find a lot of opinions. I try and capitalize on what brought me the viewer. So if they are searching "culture" I link the previous culture video and the culture playlist. If professional skills, I link the previous professional skills video and the playlist.

What I haven't played around with much is having more that 2 video recommendations in the end card.

OP
OP
MyBlocksStrongestMan

MyBlocksStrongestMan

Recognized Member
There is a common suggestion to take a look at where your audience drops off of the video and add a card to something related at that point.

As for end screen, you will find a lot of opinions. I try and capitalize on what brought me the viewer. So if they are searching "culture" I link the previous culture video and the culture playlist. If professional skills, I link the previous professional skills video and the playlist.

What I haven't played around with much is having more that 2 video recommendations in the end card.
As always, you are giving me great suggestions to think about!

Tanduaydancer

Hi, I have only just found out about cards and still a bit concerned on adding them because on a short music video i want them to listen to the end not leave. And then they see the end card recommendations, so are cards only better for long videos ?

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Hi, I have only just found out about cards and still a bit concerned on adding them because on a short music video i want them to listen to the end not leave. And then they see the end card recommendations, so are cards only better for long videos ?
Look at your retention. If your videos are not being watched all the way through and there is a time when people drop off, add a card there.

JRocksPRT

Subscriber Goal
One best practice with the cards I learned from Nick Nimmin is to only add them in the last 20% of your video so you don't draw the retention away from the current video. I made this mistake on a couple by putting a card up way too soon. The one exception to that might be a video that has a clear drop-off on retention as mentioned above where you might be able to keep them engaged with YOUR content by putting the card up.