• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube SEO kid friendly videos

CelticSpike

TubeBuddy Pro
is there any point in having some videos marked as suitable for kids, if other videos on your channel are not suitable.
Will the algorithm just flat out ignore your kid friendly videos, if you have non kid-friendly videos.

and its not even about swearing or anything i am saying, but one of the games i play on my channel is rated M
but another series would be suitable for kids, and another game is rated for teens.

so wondering if any point to marking some videos as kid friendly.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
As I understand it (and others, feel free to correct me), if you set it as kid-friendly and it is, it will go on YouTube kids which is a separate app.

Gareth GIttins

Subscriber Goal
I dont think you are able to use the watermark subscribe button if you have some videos marked as kid friendly.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Kid friendly videos will be monetized far less than regular videos because websites are not allowed to cater ads to kids. They also do not allow comments and likely suffer in search/suggested as a result.

There can be value in making kid oriented content, though it is a different process than the typical YouTuber expects and is likely dependent on external sources of revenue.

I would highly advise against making content that is catered towards children without a full gameplan. If your content could be considered general-audience then don't mark it for kids.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
is there any point in having some videos marked as suitable for kids, if other videos on your channel are not suitable.
Will the algorithm just flat out ignore your kid friendly videos, if you have non kid-friendly videos.

and its not even about swearing or anything i am saying, but one of the games i play on my channel is rated M
but another series would be suitable for kids, and another game is rated for teens.

so wondering if any point to marking some videos as kid friendly.
It's more important in the eyes of the FTC. Originally (and currently) the rules are if your video is appealing to kids under 13, you have to mark your video as for kids, if the video isn't intended for kids over 13 then you don't need to have it set as for kids. BUT the FTC have been indicating that they want to extend the COPPA laws to classify as kids content being for 16. Possibly even 18 in the future. The classification isn't cut and dry.

But currently if the video is intended for under 13, or could be largely appealing to under 13, you set it as "For kids" and if it's otherwise family friendly but not just for kids, then it's set for "not for kids"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdIlQ9kq4F4

are those videos you say are kid friendly INTENDED for kids? then you MUST set it, it's not about "is there any point" according to the FTC you MUST.

Setting for kids means you won't get comments on that particular video. If the video isn't INTENDED for kids and is appealing to all audiences, don't mark it as for kids to avoid limitations.