• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Other Video takes ages to process

CuppaTeebs

Hellllooooo

I donΓÇÖt know if anybody else had this problem but, although to enjoy making content , my videos take 84 years to save / process. I start saving my video at 13:38pm today and itΓÇÖs not Going to finish until 1am

What soft ware do other people use? IΓÇÖm using Hitfilm Express which is fantastic.

I think my laptop isnΓÇÖt strong enough to process large videos quickly but I canΓÇÖt afford to be splashing out on equipment just yet haha

thanks guys :)

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Hellllooooo

I donΓÇÖt know if anybody else had this problem but, although to enjoy making content , my videos take 84 years to save / process. I start saving my video at 13:38pm today and itΓÇÖs not Going to finish until 1am

What soft ware do other people use? IΓÇÖm using Hitfilm Express which is fantastic.

I think my laptop isnΓÇÖt strong enough to process large videos quickly but I canΓÇÖt afford to be splashing out on equipment just yet haha

thanks guys :)
That sounds a bit excessive.

What CODEC are you transcoding to? (h.264, h.265) and what's the container (.mov, .mp4, etc.)?
What resolution (1080i, 1080p) and what framerate (24, 30, 60)?
Length of video?
What kind of laptop? The CPU and GPU would be helpful.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
That sounds a bit excessive.

What CODEC are you transcoding to? (h.264, h.265) and what's the container (.mov, .mp4, etc.)?
What resolution (1080i, 1080p) and what framerate (24, 30, 60)?
Length of video?
What kind of laptop? The CPU and GPU would be helpful.
These will be the determining factor. Another factor can be the amount of layers and effects. I've had some video take over an hour with several effects, and some of similar length but not very many effects take no longer than a minute or two.

I have noticed that if the source footage is a LOT longer than the exporting, it can take a while to export, I usually have a good solid 2-4 hours of footage that I cut down to 30'sh minutes and that can take 30-60 minutes to export depending. Sounds like a computer and file format issue.

Also gotta make sure the output bitrate isn't stupidly high.

EvaWar

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
www.evawar.com
Subscriber Goal

I tried Hitfilm Express for a bit. It was "OK" at best. It seemed quite unstable and crashed a few times, and the preview kept stopping when dragging the timeline which I found annoying. Been using Davinci Resolve now for a while with better results.

As for your video processing, you need a more powerful machine!

Reactions: Simple_Words_Sonal

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I use Vegas Pro. A 10 minute video often takes around 1 hour to render. Longer if I'm using the PC while it's rendering. If you want faster rendering you're gonna need a fast SSD, a really powerful CPU and GPU and a ton of memory. And even that still it might take 30 maybe 40 minutes. But then if I could afford all that I could afford a better camera thus my video would be even better thus still take longer.

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
I rendered a 12 minute 4k video on my laptop today in 14 minutes. Davinci Resolve Studio without GPU acceleration...

CODECs and containers matter! Source was Blackmagic RAW which helps a lot.

Reactions: Damon

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I rendered a 12 minute 4k video on my laptop today in 14 minutes. Davinci Resolve Studio without GPU acceleration...

CODECs and containers matter! Source was Blackmagic RAW which helps a lot.

Wow. I'll be honest. I haven't rendered a video in a year so I may be outdated. We need to get virtually together so you can show me how you did this. ;)

Reactions: Damon

Kaos71

I use Premiere Pro and am learning Resolve (that is where I want to end up).

Ultimately as much of this is based on what you have in terms of RAM and processing power as anything. I have found that H264 is not as taxing but you will get hosed in the upload since it is not as tight of a package as H265. And then H265 is a quicker upload but has been a tougher render. So when I am in the field and using a hotspot, I will always go to H265 because it is the uploading issue that I run into. What are the parameters that you are trying to fit here because those times just seem to be abnormal.

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
I use Premiere Pro and am learning Resolve (that is where I want to end up).

Ultimately as much of this is based on what you have in terms of RAM and processing power as anything. I have found that H264 is not as taxing but you will get hosed in the upload since it is not as tight of a package as H265. And then H265 is a quicker upload but has been a tougher render. So when I am in the field and using a hotspot, I will always go to H265 because it is the uploading issue that I run into. What are the parameters that you are trying to fit here because those times just seem to be abnormal.
A general rule is a small file with high fidelity takes more CPU because of the floating point math it takes to do the compression. Most modern NLEs allow you to offload this to the GPU, since GPUs are better (more optimized) at floating point math than CPUs.

This is the reason the NLE matters as much as the CPU/GPU. If you use and NLE that can't use the GPU, then there isn't much you can do to improve rendering speed. If you can use the GPU, but have an integrated GPU (typically Intel), you aren't going to get much better performance than just a CPU.

The other element is typically who made the CODEC the NLE uses and how efficient/optimized is it? A lot of inexpensive/free NLEs use open-source or homemade CODECs that are very poorly optimized.

Last thing is container. AVC has a ton of overhead. If your original files are in AVC, you are dealing with a huge processing hit on the input to break the container into its audio and video components for processing by the CODEC.

In the end, its easy short-hand to ask what the specs are, but even an inexpensive laptop may perform better if the source files are .mp4 (h.264) @ 720p/30, or 1080p/30fps, if you are using an NLE that has good CODECs and can offload to the GPU, and and if you are outputting .mp4 (h.264) @ 1080p/30.