• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Other Social Media Which Social Media Platforms?

Gareth GIttins

Subscriber Goal
Hi, I have never really used social media apart from a personal FB account Do I need to be on all social media platforms to let people know about my channel and new video uploads, or as someone who is not that comfortable with them should I just focus on one or two? If so, which ones would you prioritise for a music channel.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
You "need" to be on all social media, but depending on your niche depends on what social media will benifit you more. Judging by the guitar it looks like you're probably a musician. In that regard if you do original music, maybe TikTok, instagram (Igtv and instagram clip music videos can do well if the music is entertaining)

I'd recommend twitter as a bit of a glimpse vlog. a quick paragraph of what you're up to today, a quick paragraph of your views or frustrations as a creator (be warned, twitter can be a dumpster fire of trolls and opinions)

Instagram is generally pretty safe for music.

Oh, and this may be counter intuitive to youtube, but try Twitch! You'd be surprised how good twich can be for musicians. Browse twitch and watch the "music" category https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Music and just watch and see how they do things. There's a channel called "younggun" who has 42k followers on twitch which is MASSIVE on that platform. 100k followers on twitch is equivilant of 1million subscribers on YouTube, I've seen lots of verified channels on twitch with 1k-3k followers who do very well for themselves.

Twitch doesn't allow you to keep vidoes on demand (vods) for long though, so I'd use it as a platform to practice, and you can post the results of that onto your YouTube, promote your streams with twitter, share new videos on twitter and then spend some time on twitter sharing what you're up to, maybe you watched a cool movie, want to share some quick thoughts on musicians and the music industry, then you can take little 30 second snippets of songs, post them to your instagram with a link in your bio to a linktree which links out to all your socials. Stories on instagram are also good little snapshots into your daily music life in 10ish second snippets that will go away in 24 hours.

You can do 1 hour streams on instagram (not the most discoverable though, that's more of a thing to do when you've already got an established following.

So my recommendation is 1 Twitch, 2 Instagram, 3 twitter.

Reactions: Yoyo
OP
OP
Gareth GIttins

Gareth GIttins

Subscriber Goal
Wow, thank you for such a detailed response. You have given me so much great information and not just what to use but how to use it as well. This is perfect as this gives me more confidence in doing it right as I find it all a bit baffling,. dabbled in insta but couldnt get my head around it and havent been on much, so the direction you gave is brilliant. I do a mix of rock covers, improvs and my own original music. Again the time you spend on that response is very much appreciated, I will put it to good use.

Yoyo

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
You "need" to be on all social media, but depending on your niche depends on what social media will benifit you more. Judging by the guitar it looks like you're probably a musician. In that regard if you do original music, maybe TikTok, instagram (Igtv and instagram clip music videos can do well if the music is entertaining)

I'd recommend twitter as a bit of a glimpse vlog. a quick paragraph of what you're up to today, a quick paragraph of your views or frustrations as a creator (be warned, twitter can be a dumpster fire of trolls and opinions)

Instagram is generally pretty safe for music.

Oh, and this may be counter intuitive to youtube, but try Twitch! You'd be surprised how good twich can be for musicians. Browse twitch and watch the "music" category https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Music and just watch and see how they do things. There's a channel called "younggun" who has 42k followers on twitch which is MASSIVE on that platform. 100k followers on twitch is equivilant of 1million subscribers on YouTube, I've seen lots of verified channels on twitch with 1k-3k followers who do very well for themselves.

Twitch doesn't allow you to keep vidoes on demand (vods) for long though, so I'd use it as a platform to practice, and you can post the results of that onto your YouTube, promote your streams with twitter, share new videos on twitter and then spend some time on twitter sharing what you're up to, maybe you watched a cool movie, want to share some quick thoughts on musicians and the music industry, then you can take little 30 second snippets of songs, post them to your instagram with a link in your bio to a linktree which links out to all your socials. Stories on instagram are also good little snapshots into your daily music life in 10ish second snippets that will go away in 24 hours.

You can do 1 hour streams on instagram (not the most discoverable though, that's more of a thing to do when you've already got an established following.

So my recommendation is 1 Twitch, 2 Instagram, 3 twitter.

Thanks for your post. I would have never think of using twitch. However this could maybe be a future project.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

Relentluss Gaming

I don't know if it is considered "social media" but I get a majority of my views from Reddit, there are so many subreddits for us to post under. I have never gotten any trolls, they are a very supportive community.

Would try that for sure.

blackbeltsecrets

BlackBeltBarrister
www.blackbeltbarrister.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't know if it is considered "social media" but I get a majority of my views from Reddit, there are so many subreddits for us to post under. I have never gotten any trolls, they are a very supportive community.

Would try that for sure.
Not a bad strategy at all - it is a very active community and the right post can bring a lot of viewers. A lot of my original traffic came from Reddit, but then, when I made specific content for a specific sub, many people saw it as "spam" which in one sense, it was, but in my view it was valuable content... mixed responses overall!

Reactions: Relentluss Gaming

schoolofselfmade

schoolofselfmade.com
Subscriber Goal
You don't need to use social media, but it's a heck of a lot easier to promote yourself if you do.

If you're really new to social media platforms, I personally would recommend that you start with 1. You don't want to overwhelm yourself with a bunch. Pick one and get really good at it. Once you've mastered it the best you can, then move to another.

After awhile you'll see which ones have better returns on your time and you can phase the poor performers out slowly. Just remember, that you don't want to just be an account that always posts. I've found that if you give (engage with other users content more than posting) you'll get more out of it, and in the end have better engagement on your profile and better quality follows.