• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback Which Thumbnail is Better?

MyBlocksStrongestMan

Recognized Member
I decided to move away from creating thumbnails like the one where I'm carrying the orange hanging chair below and more toward ones like the snow blower one below using precaptured expressions, since I have much more control over the sharpness of the image and I'm not restricted to only what I captured during the video. What are everyone's thoughts about which approach is better?
Episode52Tumbnail.png
CannelArt.JPG

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I like the first one. My one recommendation would be to try and get a cutout of your face and just use the cutout. I think it would be effective for your type of channel!

If you use Discord and are on the TubeBuddy server, DocRoc just posted some examples and likes to tutorials on his channel for doing that.

Miss countryside UK

I decided to move away from creating thumbnails like the one where I'm carrying the orange hanging chair below and more toward ones like the snow blower one below using precaptured expressions, since I have much more control over the sharpness of the image and I'm not restricted to only what I captured during the video. What are everyone's thoughts about which approach is better?
View attachment 7727View attachment 7728
nice

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm going to have to be a little blunt here and say I'm not overly a fan of either. the first one I like your expression, but I'd never bother to read the text in the middle. It's cleaner and "simpler" of the two, but there's way too much text in it, and even after reading the "title" of the thumbnail I still have absolutely no idea what the video would be about except maybe a snow blower review? but your face looks angry in it so I have no idea what's meant to be going on there.

The second one... I get what you're trying to go far, but it suffers from clutter. There's too much text, the white text suffers from one of the biggest sins in my opinion of never put white text with a white outter glow unless there's a REASON for the text to be clowing.
"when challenging things are way more fun" has potential, im not totally against the font but the background is cluttering it up making it very hard to read.
"Why do things easy?" has a lot of potential, it asks a question, but i'm not sure what the question is in context of.
And the photo is confusing me. It kind of looks like you're throwing a chair over a fence? and there's something that looks like a chicken coop?
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in that thumbnail which means I'd never click on it. I'd need more context to understand what the video is about, and if the thumbnail isn't explaining what the video is about in that much text, it's kinda hard to click on it.

You need to focus on "less is more" and context. You should be able to convey visually, with NO WORDS, what the video is about to someone who can't read, and then text is usually added as an emphasis
to what's already happening in the thumb. Look at Mr Beast.
Maybe not Mr Beast from 2016, but Mr Beast from 2019-2020.

Thumbnails are a tough thing to master.

hang ong... in that first one... were you ACTUALLY using a snow blower as a bench press? like, were you LIFTING a snow blower?

OP
OP
MyBlocksStrongestMan

MyBlocksStrongestMan

Recognized Member
I like the first one. My one recommendation would be to try and get a cutout of your face and just use the cutout. I think it would be effective for your type of channel!

If you use Discord and are on the TubeBuddy server, DocRoc just posted some examples and likes to tutorials on his channel for doing that.
Oh like a cutout without the grayish background? I can do that in paint or Inkscape. Thanks!

I'm going to have to be a little blunt here and say I'm not overly a fan of either. the first one I like your expression, but I'd never bother to read the text in the middle. It's cleaner and "simpler" of the two, but there's way too much text in it, and even after reading the "title" of the thumbnail I still have absolutely no idea what the video would be about except maybe a snow blower review? but your face looks angry in it so I have no idea what's meant to be going on there.

The second one... I get what you're trying to go far, but it suffers from clutter. There's too much text, the white text suffers from one of the biggest sins in my opinion of never put white text with a white outter glow unless there's a REASON for the text to be clowing.
"when challenging things are way more fun" has potential, im not totally against the font but the background is cluttering it up making it very hard to read.
"Why do things easy?" has a lot of potential, it asks a question, but i'm not sure what the question is in context of.
And the photo is confusing me. It kind of looks like you're throwing a chair over a fence? and there's something that looks like a chicken coop?
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in that thumbnail which means I'd never click on it. I'd need more context to understand what the video is about, and if the thumbnail isn't explaining what the video is about in that much text, it's kinda hard to click on it.

You need to focus on "less is more" and context. You should be able to convey visually, with NO WORDS, what the video is about to someone who can't read, and then text is usually added as an emphasis
to what's already happening in the thumb. Look at Mr Beast.
Maybe not Mr Beast from 2016, but Mr Beast from 2019-2020.

Thumbnails are a tough thing to master.

hang ong... in that first one... were you ACTUALLY using a snow blower as a bench press? like, were you LIFTING a snow blower?
Cool. I'll check out Mr. Beast's thumbnails. Yes, I actually lifted a snow blower, but not as a bench press. That would be a sight to see and maybe a challenge to build up to for the future! I did a modified Viking Press, which had one end on the ground. It's a traditional strongman event that I was emulating after providing a brief history of the movement, and without the ability to suspend it in the air of course. I do feel pretty confident that I can get it into my lap in a future video though!

Reactions: Beanie Draws

MICK

TubeBuddy User
I think the first one, because of its good quality. the resolution is better