• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question How long did it take you to find your voice?

Growing Up Walls

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
growingupwalls.com
Subscriber Goal
I was wondering, for those who are feeling established on YouTube, how long did it take you to find your voice/style? I've been awkwardly making videos for a few months now, and I just posted the first video where I felt like more of my real personality actually shone through. I haven't quite nailed down, though, what it was about that video that felt more like me so I can duplicate it. I know I'll get there eventually, but I'd like to hear from others. Was there something that finally "clicked" for you? Or did you settle into it gradually? :heart:

Reactions: MiddleofKnowhere

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I was wondering, for those who are feeling established on YouTube, how long did it take you to find your voice/style? I've been awkwardly making videos for a few months now, and I just posted the first video where I felt like more of my real personality actually shone through. I haven't quite nailed down, though, what it was about that video that felt more like me so I can duplicate it. I know I'll get there eventually, but I'd like to hear from others. Was there something that finally "clicked" for you? Or did you settle into it gradually? :heart:

Kind of a personal answer here, but I think it might help. I remember when I was studying screenwriting one of my teachers said that screen dialog is always the perfect thing to say in the moment, and in the real world no one says the perfect thing. I know you are a writer, so I thought that might be something you can relate to. So here is how that translates.

On-screen "me" is a character. That doesn't mean it isn't me. But real me doesn't do dramatic pauses for effect. Real me doesn't use my hands the way I do on stage or on video. Real me doesn't use voice inflections the way I do on video. That's stage craft. What I'm saying is real, authentic me. How I'm saying it is designed to be effective in the medium I'm using. And that is just technique and can be learned. But it does require some investment of time and energy to learn it.

Reactions: Growing Up Walls

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
hmm great question. I think I'm still developing it but for the most part my style is to be blunt but kind. Informative without poo-pooing anyone's choices. I don't want to present myself as the end-all authority voice but rather just an option to be looked at. So I give objective views with subjective opinions at the end. I guess my style is video essay and the voice comes through that. I want to be/represent the everyman, not the 1%.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
In terms of art, probably about 10-15 years ago I kinda noticed I kept drawing the same way.

In terms of VIDEOS, I still don't feel like I've found my style or voice. I basically draw my thing, then I kinda just "slap it together" in a way I think is at least semi watchable, but I still don't think my video editing is any good and I've been doing this for 5 years.

It's been an ever constant battle ever since I was in school. I'm very good at drawing, but not very good at presenting my drawings, which is why I'm slowly looking into building a team to help edit my content into something worth watching. I'll probably add some extra cameras to the mix and I have upgraded my audio.

I've also watched back some of my older videos and thought "beanie... why didn't you cut out that pause? why didn't you zoom in I can barely see what you're doing" so I guess that's part of my current voice and style which is the last 12 months, but I'm still far from happy with how my videos look. I just have to get something together, otherwise no one would ever see my drawings and then my drawings would just be for my eyes only, so I just get it out there.

I do however predict that I'll feel like I've "found my voice" in 3-5 years. That will be about 8 years into my journey and that seems to be about the time most creators "truly" find their voice. But at the end of the day we're all experimenting, trying and evolving.

kusuri

i Dont think i found my voice yet but I feel I am getting better every time I record

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I have been doing this since 2016... and while I am much more focused and have analytics and data to stand on I still tweak stuff every single video. I still don't feel like I am 'centered' or 'optimized' for what I want to be doing.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I haven't made a video in over a year sadly. Back then I was still struggling to be comfortable and find my voice. I still felt like I was trying too hard to have a style. While I have not been making video this whole time I have been using the Twitch Sings app which is a karaoke program created by Twitch where I recorded myself singing and it would automatically upload my recordings to my Twitch account and through the software, people could find my videos and sing duets with my recordings. The more I used the app the more comfortable I became in front of the camera and the more my natural self showed. I will eventually put my channel back to work and so I hope to be more prepared to make better videos now that i feel more comfortable on screen.

ccrtelevision

TubeBuddy User
My channel started gaining traction in early 2018, and it's crazy to watch my videos from back then because it really makes me realize how much I've improved. I've always been myself on my channel and my character has remained consistent, it's just when I compare my new videos with older ones, I definitely notice I have more confidence now and that I've nailed down what distinguishes my style from others in my niche.

If you feel you haven't found your voice yet, don't worry, with time and consistency you eventually will. Or you'll at least improve a whole lot and be more comfortable with your ability to produce videos! As long as you're being genuine, you already have a "voice," and that will only become stronger over time :>

talanajordan

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
for me it took about 10 videos to find my first voice; however, my voice has changed probably 4 times since then since your personality always changing and growing.

RandyHJ

www.basicchurch.org
Subscriber Goal
I have been a public speaker for almost 40 years, but on YouTube I am having to reinvent my speaking style. No problem speaking to moderate sized crowds, but large crowds and speaking just to a camera is more difficult. I'm too stiff and formal for YouTube, I know that, and my wife is helping me to work on my speaking style. It is something you deliberately have to work on, listening to yourself as you speak. I tend to speak in long sentences, have to shorten it up into smaller phrases like a normal conversation. It's a continuous challenge, at least for me.

Reactions: Damon

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I have been a public speaker for almost 40 years, but on YouTube I am having to reinvent my speaking style. No problem speaking to moderate sized crowds, but large crowds and speaking just to a camera is more difficult. I'm too stiff and formal for YouTube, I know that, and my wife is helping me to work on my speaking style. It is something you deliberately have to work on, listening to yourself as you speak. I tend to speak in long sentences, have to shorten it up into smaller phrases like a normal conversation. It's a continuous challenge, at least for me.
Welcome! You and I have a similar background. I've definitely been learning how to adjust to a camera in an empty room. The hardest part for me personally has been not having immediate audience feedback (reading the room) to adjust on the fly. I didn't realize how much I did that until I didn't have that audience.

Ragulsundaram

Very Well-Known Member
www.facttests.com
Subscriber Goal
Keep doing the things you love no matter what.
share them. Dedicate yourself and you will become what you want without you knowing it.
All the best.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I just recorded a new video which I'm still editing. I'm nearly at 30k but took too long of a brake... too much rust, and evidently I'm rustier than I want, so I'd say I still haven't fully got my voice. I'm not comfotable enough on camera still, so I still have to work on getting my voice.

RandyHJ

www.basicchurch.org
Subscriber Goal
Welcome! You and I have a similar background. I've definitely been learning how to adjust to a camera in an empty room. The hardest part for me personally has been not having immediate audience feedback (reading the room) to adjust on the fly. I didn't realize how much I did that until I didn't have that audience.
Amen! Same here. :)

Laurenk

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I have the same problem. I have posted 4 videos but I feel like I'm struggling a little sometimes. I'm myself but a quiet toned down version which is annoying because I should just be myself. But sometimes it's hard to break that barrier. I'm hoping it'll come soon when I'm more comfortable on camera as I've only done 4 videos anyway. Good Luck everyone!

nate polmateer

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
My channel started gaining traction in early 2018, and it's crazy to watch my videos from back then because it really makes me realize how much I've improved. I've always been myself on my channel and my character has remained consistent, it's just when I compare my new videos with older ones, I definitely notice I have more confidence now and that I've nailed down what distinguishes my style from others in my niche.

If you feel you haven't found your voice yet, don't worry, with time and consistency you eventually will. Or you'll at least improve a whole lot and be more comfortable with your ability to produce videos! As long as you're being genuine, you already have a "voice," and that will only become stronger over time :>

Super helpful feedback thank you for this!