• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Sub notifications in analytics

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I was browsing my analytics and saw something I had not noticed before - bell notifications (it is probably not new, but I have not seen it ha ha). I see my percentage of viewers but have no real basis of comparison. Does anyone know what is normal/good for notification percentage?

One if my problems is that most of my subs are old (like me), and computer illiterate (unlike me). I have had many people say they will not sub because they do not want YT to track them. I try to nicely tell them that if they are logged in and commenting... well... So getting them to go the extra step and enable notifications is tough. The 18% and 10% seem low to me, but is it?

Capture.JPG

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't think this is one of those things where you can compare what's good/normal... you want it as high as you can get. I think it's clear that if 20% have notifications, you should aim for "all" having notifications, but personally 20% aren't that bad and I'm rounding your numbers up.

I don't think it serves ANY "useful" information outside of curiosity factor "I wonder how many people have the bell notification on?"

I have seen a few people use the bell notification and subscriber data to put little jokes in their call to actions "I know only 18% of you have bell notifications on my videos, so if you don't want to miss future videos blah blah black (whatever sounds better in your opinion) but at the end of the day it's always users choice weather they use the bell or not.

I have noticed they've changed it to be more useful. Initially it said how many notifications were sent out and was always 100% but felt like it was their way of saying "our notification system isn't broken" but showing how many have set it is definitely more useful as a general interest standpoint.

In usefulness, it's a reminder to add the reminder in your calls to action to boost engagement. Depending on how old your channel is, it might be significantly lower as bell notifications are about as new as the end screen cards, they weren't always there.

I have had many people say they will not sub because they do not want YT to track them. I try to nicely tell them that if they are logged in and commenting... well...
I bet they also use facebook when they say that :joy: hate to break it to them, but the moment they open up YouTube they're being tracked, doesn't matter if they're logged in or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tito Tim

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I bet they also use facebook when they say that :joy: hate to break it to them, but the moment they open up YouTube they're being tracked, doesn't matter if they're logged in or not.
Ha ha. Yeah, exactly.

I am not overly worried about, just curious what is 'good', if anything is. Personally I have never clicked for notifications, because YT already floods me with too many notifications. I turned off almost all emails from YT as well (from most web sites, really). I click on my subs tab, and can see which channels uploaded something. But generally they are on my recommended page anyway. I get sick of notifications (and no web page will ever get notification permission from me). I use a web addon to tame FB spam also. I can't stand when web pages think they know what I want... and get off my lawn!