• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Does Youtube advertising hurt your channel?

Randomlifestylevlog

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
We sometimes use youtube advertising but I am curious if this hurts your channel it terms on monetisation. Does anyone know the answer to this? If it does then I will look to stop using it with our channel!

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Moved to YouTube discussion as this doesn't relate the TubeBuddy plugin

This question was answered in a tubebuddy livestream a few months back by someone who's done adverting for 10 years.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBnV5W4U2nY
43:33

My opinion is if you're promoting a single video... yes it might get views, but it might not get much watch time, and watch time is FAR more important than views and subscribers.
Personally, I feel that using ads to boost chances at monetization is pay to win which is a bad move, and kind of tells me that you have no confidence in your content to be able to get watch time on it's own merits. And trust me, monetization doesn't make you much money.

I made $40 once I got 1000 subscribers, and this was before there were requirements, so that was over 4 months. And you only get a payout once you hit $100 dollars and that could take you months. Hitting monetization doesn't automatically mean you'll be making money.

Reactions: Sofie Sagacitas

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal

This question was answered in a tubebuddy livestream a few months back by someone who's done adverting for 10 years.

My opinion is if you're promoting a single video... yes it might get views, but it might not get much watch time, and watch time is FAR more important than views and subscribers.
Personally, I feel that using ads to boost chances at monetization is pay to win which is a bad move, and kind of tells me that you have no confidence in your content to be able to get watch time on it's own merits. And trust me, monetization doesn't make you much money.

I made $40 once I got 1000 subscribers, and this was before there were requirements, so that was over 4 months. And you only get a payout once you hit $100 dollars and that could take you months. Hitting monetization doesn't automatically mean you'll be making money.

Reactions: Sofie Sagacitas

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
If it hurt your channel, YouTube wouldn't offer it. They want you to put back into your channel. They want you to use Google Ads and feed the monster.

Youtube will not demote you in any way if you advertise your videos/site.

Even if you didn't use Google Ads. I promote my YT videos on my website, Reddit, Pinterest, and other social networks. It's free advertising.

Now, if you're creating ads and not getting subs or interaction, you might want to talk to someone about targeting your video ads. If you're using Google Ads, you just have to call and ask.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I am just not a fan myself. YouTube is phenomenal in that it is a video hosting site AND an industry leading Search engine. So basically YT takes videos and puts them in front of people who want to see videos. How on earth are you going to pay for an ad and beat the built in features that YT offers?

You may not get the immediate views that you would if you purchased an ad spot, but it is free and the opportunities are limitless (you simply need to refine some skills in best practices and SEO).

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am just not a fan myself. YouTube is phenomenal in that it is a video hosting site AND an industry leading Search engine. So basically YT takes videos and puts them in front of people who want to see videos. How on earth are you going to pay for an ad and beat the built in features that YT offers?

You may not get the immediate views that you would if you purchased an ad spot, but it is free and the opportunities are limitless (you simply need to refine some skills in best practices and SEO).
IΓÇÖm with Stanley on this one, I learnt this luckily a much less painful way, but it still gave me a preview of how effective advertising or boosting is NOT.

When my channel was smaller, around 30-40 subscribers, I promoted on Facebook, and they were kind enough to offer a free gift voucher to boost a post on my Facebook page, and so I used it (it was free money from them, who wouldnΓÇÖt use it), and then hit the ΓÇ£boostΓÇ¥ button, or as I like to call it, the big blue, so what did it do? It showed me how many people it reached, which was in the 5k range, I got maybe a handful of views but no subscribers! In short, I wouldΓÇÖve had more success handing out fliers on the streets than using whatever advertising tool is available.

I did that not because it was free, or whatever, I did it as a test and some sort of confirmation for myself, to see how effective boosting is, and now I can share with others about its pitfalls.

Ultimately, as we always sayin here, nothing beats YouTubes own algorithm, YouTube does put new videos in front of the viewers, but how successful it is depends on several factors, like if the viewers really got hooked or if they clicked off and so on.

My thoughts: if the tools are there, youΓÇÖre well within your rights to use them, after all theyΓÇÖre there for a reason, but how effective those tools are in helping you grow, depends if your content is highly useful for the viewers . Me personally, would rather not use such a tool ever again, in fact I havenΓÇÖt since, and IΓÇÖve grown nicely, got my subscribers organically, which is how a channel should be built up anyways.

Anyways just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randomlifestylevlog
OP
OP
Randomlifestylevlog

Randomlifestylevlog

TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
We mainly use Facebook and Facebook groups to promote our content but it is the odd occasion that we have decided to use paid youtube promotion on a video. For instance, we unbox subscription boxes on our channel and sometimes we have wanted to get it up in the youtube search results. This is after we have used the fantastic tools that TubeBuddy has. (We have a pro license). So it is not all the time. It is advert calendar season so the girlfriend has been wanting to heavily promote the videos to get more views etc. Probably after this we wont do any more paid advertising as I personally want our channel to reach a monetisation level.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

This is a great resource and I feel answers the question. If you're not advertising a product running ads on a channel isn't the best play.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖm with Stanley on this one, I learnt this luckily a much less painful way, but it still gave me a preview of how effective advertising or boosting is NOT.

When my channel was smaller, around 30-40 subscribers, I promoted on Facebook, and they were kind enough to offer a free gift voucher to boost a post on my Facebook page, and so I used it (it was free money from them, who wouldnΓÇÖt use it), and then hit the ΓÇ£boostΓÇ¥ button, or as I like to call it, the big blue, so what did it do? It showed me how many people it reached, which was in the 5k range, I got maybe a handful of views but no subscribers! In short, I wouldΓÇÖve had more success handing out fliers on the streets than using whatever advertising tool is available.

I did that not because it was free, or whatever, I did it as a test and some sort of confirmation for myself, to see how effective boosting is, and now I can share with others about its pitfalls.

Ultimately, as we always sayin here, nothing beats YouTubes own algorithm, YouTube does put new videos in front of the viewers, but how successful it is depends on several factors, like if the viewers really got hooked or if they clicked off and so on.

My thoughts: if the tools are there, youΓÇÖre well within your rights to use them, after all theyΓÇÖre there for a reason, but how effective those tools are in helping you grow, depends if your content is highly useful for the viewers . Me personally, would rather not use such a tool ever again, in fact I havenΓÇÖt since, and IΓÇÖve grown nicely, got my subscribers organically, which is how a channel should be built up anyways.

Anyways just my 2 cents.

In a strange twist I would like to say that handing out fliers is a highly underappreciated form of advertising. It needs to be done right obviously... but considering that we are all graphic artists by necessity we have the skills to create the art that can draw attention offline. Just gotta be creative with your delivery.

Reactions: Randomlifestylevlog