• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Depressed about losing subscribers?? DONΓÇÖT BE!!!

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
We all have our different reasons for creating our channels, many stories can be found here (thanks @EnglishwithLiz )
https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/32840/
Yes I acknowledge that for us small players the journey, especially when just starting out, is going to be a long, hard, rough and grough, painful road to whatever ΓÇ£bigΓÇ¥ milestone youΓÇÖve set, along with the small ones that weΓÇÖve stuck in there somewhere, and when we get our FIRST subscriber itΓÇÖs like a big deal, and the excitement of seeing those numbers growing is really something to feel great about, but what many creators CANNOT accept is seeing that ΓÇ£numberΓÇ¥ decrease, which results in them coming on here or other forums, writing out ΓÇ£why did this happen, why why WHYΓÇ¥, let me share my thoughts.

As @Beanie Draws pointed out in another thread here: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/33441/post-102611
WHY would a viewer subscribe to you in the first place? What reason did you give them to make them slam dunk that big red? And even if they did, did you maintain said reason or reasons for keeping them subscribed to you? No one is obliged to subscribe, they do that because something in one of your videos triggered their interest and they hit that subscribe button in the hopes that youΓÇÖll continue to upload that kind of content.

Years ago, the creators were the reason for subscribers, eg a 15 year old could just sit in front of her webcam and talk about her crap school life or a boy she liked, or an elderly man could talk about his life and things he experienced, and that was stuff viewers got hooked on during YouTubes early times, but times have changed, which in short means itΓÇÖs all about the content, and NOT the creator, as Nick Nimmin says, viewers get hooked on the CONTENT, because it has value to that viewer, it has something the viewers WANT, whether it be informational, educational or just entertainment, no one cares about the creators as much now, itΓÇÖs all about the content, and thatΓÇÖs why we keep pushing to the new comers, create content that doesnΓÇÖt SUCK!!

Subscriber numbers, as I said before, are a form of excitement, especially when that number goes up, but quickly becomes a depressing number when they go nowhere, view counts are the same, but why are you even focusing on that? ItΓÇÖs a number, and like it or not, it will go up, AND down, so you better get used to seeing that! You think youΓÇÖre hard done by losing ONE subscriber? Think of the big channels, yeah they have big numbers, but do you think they got there easily?? They lost more subscribers than many of our channels will ever accumulate (slight exaggeration but we get the point), and that didnΓÇÖt bother them.

And as for those subscriber numbers, yeah they look really low compared to other channels, you may only have 20 or 50 or whatever, now imagine those subscribers ACTUALLY standing right in front of you as youΓÇÖre presenting your content to them, quite daunting isnΓÇÖt it? Imagine Mr Beast having to make his content to his subscribers as they stood in front of him, just something for you to think about.

And of course thereΓÇÖs this YouTube purge that IΓÇÖve read about frequently, youΓÇÖll be losing subscribers NOT because someone unsubscribed, but because YouTube has come through with itΓÇÖs big mean broom, and done a clean out of inactive subscribers on our channels, mine included.

So next time you see your sub count has gone down, donΓÇÖt get all depressed and bent out of shape, instead, just keep uploading your content, because you still have many other subscribers that have stayed with you through your journey, and a good portion of them will be your fans, possibly a few super fans too, so head up, positive attitudes, smile and enjoy uploading :) :blush:

As always, feel free to add your 2 cents.

Last edited:

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Nice post @DamoΓÇÖs Paintings. I feel like culturally we have become slaves to instant gratification. And that bleeds into the mentality I see a lot of "I'm on YouTube to get rich quick". Most people fail to realize that your chances of being a Football (either form) star are almost higher than being a YouTube star. Focusing on your audience and making good content is hard work. And they payoff isn't fast. But personally, I find a lot of joy and satisfaction in the work.

LushModz

Subscriber Goal
I like how your motivating and inspiring many content creators I appreciate it, thank you :)

OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Very well said. However, losing subscribers shouldn't make anyone depressed. There is a lot going on in the world to be depressed about.
Jessica
Thanks lots, but sadly many of the small players do get depressed at losing ONE subscriber, and itΓÇÖs somewhat depressing to have to write threads like this just to reach out to them and make them see how YouTube isnΓÇÖt as easy as they thought.

I like how your motivating and inspiring many content creators I appreciate it, thank you :)
Thank you very much, I try to keep the motivation positive and inspiring for anyone and everyone to see, itΓÇÖs just depressing having to always write up these articles when all thatΓÇÖs needed is the search bar at the top, I use it all the time to find what I need, thatΓÇÖs why itΓÇÖs there.

OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Nice post @DamoΓÇÖs Paintings. I feel like culturally we have become slaves to instant gratification. And that bleeds into the mentality I see a lot of "I'm on YouTube to get rich quick". Most people fail to realize that your chances of being a Football (either form) star are almost higher than being a YouTube star. Focusing on your audience and making good content is hard work. And they payoff isn't fast. But personally, I find a lot of joy and satisfaction in the work.
Yep sadly weΓÇÖve become that, all trying to get to that big number, all becoming copy cats, BUT if we run our channels because we have a passion for sharing our work, for free, well for me thatΓÇÖs more satisfying than some silly number that bounces everywhere, in fact the more I see complaints about subscriber numbers the more disinterested I am in them.

NattyRockz

TubeBuddy Pro
Rightly said. We should try to post things which we are interested and not to look at subscribers. Self satisfaction is more important than anything. Subscribers may come and go but then if you post content which you are interested, definitely one day all will come and fall in one place.

As a begineer we need to understand it and keep working on content. Just one video is enough to make your channel boom, so keep working on that.

This is my personal opinion.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
We all have our different reasons for creating our channels, many stories can be found here (thanks @EnglishwithLiz )
Yes I acknowledge that for us small players the journey, especially when just starting out, is going to be a long, hard, rough and grough, painful road to whatever ΓÇ£bigΓÇ¥ milestone youΓÇÖve set, along with the small ones that weΓÇÖve stuck in there somewhere, and when we get our FIRST subscriber itΓÇÖs like a big deal, and the excitement of seeing those numbers growing is really something to feel great about, but what many creators CANNOT accept is seeing that ΓÇ£numberΓÇ¥ decrease, which results in them coming on here or other forums, writing out ΓÇ£why did this happen, why why WHYΓÇ¥, let me share my thoughts.

As @Beanie Draws pointed out in another thread here: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/33441/post-102611
WHY would a viewer subscribe to you in the first place? What reason did you give them to make them slam dunk that big red? And even if they did, did you maintain said reason or reasons for keeping them subscribed to you? No one is obliged to subscribe, they do that because something in one of your videos triggered their interest and they hit that subscribe button in the hopes that youΓÇÖll continue to upload that kind of content.

Years ago, the creators were the reason for subscribers, eg a 15 year old could just sit in front of her webcam and talk about her crap school life or a boy she liked, or an elderly man could talk about his life and things he experienced, and that was stuff viewers got hooked on during YouTubes early times, but times have changed, which in short means itΓÇÖs all about the content, and NOT the creator, as Nick Nimmin says, viewers get hooked on the CONTENT, because it has value to that viewer, it has something the viewers WANT, whether it be informational, educational or just entertainment, no one cares about the creators as much now, itΓÇÖs all about the content, and thatΓÇÖs why we keep pushing to the new comers, create content that doesnΓÇÖt SUCK!!

Subscriber numbers, as I said before, are a form of excitement, especially when that number goes up, but quickly becomes a depressing number when they go nowhere, view counts are the same, but why are you even focusing on that? ItΓÇÖs a number, and like it or not, it will go up, AND down, so you better get used to seeing that! You think youΓÇÖre hard done by losing ONE subscriber? Think of the big channels, yeah they have big numbers, but do you think they got there easily?? They lost more subscribers than many of our channels will ever accumulate (slight exaggeration but we get the point), and that didnΓÇÖt bother them.

And as for those subscriber numbers, yeah they look really low compared to other channels, you may only have 20 or 50 or whatever, now imagine those subscribers ACTUALLY standing right in front of you as youΓÇÖre presenting your content to them, quite daunting isnΓÇÖt it? Imagine Mr Beast having to make his content to his subscribers as they stood in front of him, just something for you to think about.

And of course thereΓÇÖs this YouTube purge that IΓÇÖve read about frequently, youΓÇÖll be losing subscribers NOT because someone unsubscribed, but because YouTube has come through with itΓÇÖs big mean broom, and done a clean out of inactive subscribers on our channels, mine included.

So next time you see your sub count has gone down, donΓÇÖt get all depressed and bent out of shape, instead, just keep uploading your content, because you still have many other subscribers that have stayed with you through your journey, and a good portion of them will be your fans, possibly a few super fans too, so head up, positive attitudes, smile and enjoy uploading :) :blush:

Great post and need to be said. I rather have active engaged subscribers then bots that don't watch. I think that ultimately it's a pride thing for us as creators. I know I fall into it to, but the end of the day it's the people we help in anyway with our content that matters the most, and if we can keep doing that, and giving the tools for you to do that at TubeBuddy I think we all win!

Growing Up Walls

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
growingupwalls.com
Subscriber Goal
All of this is very well put. I do love watching my subscriber number rise, and I do deflate a bit when it falls. But you're so right: I imagine standing in front of my 25 people, and that's nothing to sneeze at! So I'll pick myself up and keep creating as long as I can. Thanks for the motivation!

Reactions: RandomFamilia
OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
All of this is very well put. I do love watching my subscriber number rise, and I do deflate a bit when it falls. But you're so right: I imagine standing in front of my 25 people, and that's nothing to sneeze at! So I'll pick myself up and keep creating as long as I can. Thanks for the motivation!
We all feel some sort of sinking emotion once we spot a decrease in subscriber numbers, myself included, but I never let it bother me, 1) how many subscribers will actually watch my new videos anyways? 2) even if 10 subscribers ditched me, I still have the ones that didnΓÇÖt do a runner, 3) IΓÇÖve clued myself up with all I can about running a YouTube channel, including preparation for things like this, 4) running a channel should be about enjoying it, and it will definitely show in the content.

In short, itΓÇÖs okay to have an emotional reaction to a number going down, but we just gotta soldier on.

SonicNebula

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Legend

very good post thank you, i also want to mention mr. beast did not make it big intill he had 118 videos(even at 118 he qouted he had little views as well)....... how he grew after that is up for debate, he claims thumbnails.... others say its only part of it. my theory it was thumbnails, seo, and he found a niche that worked for him.

MyBlocksStrongestMan

Recognized Member
Rightly said. We should try to post things which we are interested and not to look at subscribers. Self satisfaction is more important than anything. Subscribers may come and go but then if you post content which you are interested, definitely one day all will come and fall in one place.

As a begineer we need to understand it and keep working on content. Just one video is enough to make your channel boom, so keep working on that.

This is my personal opinion.
True. Making videos that try to cater to a topic in which you have no interest will show through in the finished product.

Riza

Subscriber Goal
We all feel some sort of sinking emotion once we spot a decrease in subscriber numbers, myself included, but I never let it bother me, 1) how many subscribers will actually watch my new videos anyways? 2) even if 10 subscribers ditched me, I still have the ones that didnΓÇÖt do a runner, 3) IΓÇÖve clued myself up with all I can about running a YouTube channel, including preparation for things like this, 4) running a channel should be about enjoying it, and it will definitely show in the content.

In short, itΓÇÖs okay to have an emotional reaction to a number going down, but we just gotta soldier on.
how to have more subscribers pls help me

OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
how to have more subscribers pls help me
1) Upload and upload and upload and just upload. The more content you have the more chances youΓÇÖll have of attracting potential subscribers, as theyΓÇÖll see youΓÇÖre committed to your channel, theyΓÇÖll see youΓÇÖve just uploaded tons of content so theyΓÇÖve got plenty to check out before deciding to subscribe to you. Think of a car rental place, youΓÇÖre presented with 2, the first one has just 10 normal everyday cars and just adds a new one from time to time while the other has a well stocked inventory of 100+ cars, and that one continues to update and add more to his/her collection daily offering a wide variety, which one would you go to?

2) Create a channel banner that represents what your overall channel is about and a channel icon that represents you, fill in your about page, a more detailed write up will give viewers a more defined idea of what youΓÇÖre presenting.

3) Make sure your videos have something to offer to your viewers. Are you about educating people? Do you have something to offer in the niche youΓÇÖre in? Will one of your videos improve someoneΓÇÖs day? Will one of your videos help someone through a tough time? Serious creators donΓÇÖt just throw up videos to increase numbers, they always consider the viewers, and make sure their stuff can bring value to the table.

4) Thumbnails are the first thing seen by viewers, so make sure youΓÇÖre making them clear and giving the viewers an expectation of whatΓÇÖs in your content but donΓÇÖt over complicate it, this paired with a detailed title, and well written description will increase chances of someone clicking on your video. One thing you should master is SEO, thereΓÇÖs loads of topics about that on here.

5) A well crafted thumbnail and title mean nothing if your videos SUCK! Again, make sure your videos donΓÇÖt suck because this will dent the audience retention, as in they click, they see, they go, you donΓÇÖt want that, so make sure your videos are watchable, put yourself in the viewers shoes, do you like what you see? Serious creators do this all the time, I do it, and when something doesnΓÇÖt make sense, it comes out. IΓÇÖve even thrown entire videos because I thought like a viewer and saw garbage in what I created.

6) Be prepared for a loooooooooooong ride, YouTubing isnΓÇÖt as easy as you think, itΓÇÖs quite a challenge just to build a channel up to Silver Plaque levels, some creators struggle to reach monetization levels which is just 1K subs and 4K watch hours, many have burnt out, and many more will do so, but if youΓÇÖre up for the long hard road to creating and building your channel up to high levels, you best commit to putting in the work.

Lastly, be positive, YouTubing is about enjoying the experience of creating and uploading, and the last thing you want to portray to your viewers is negativity, theyΓÇÖll be out in the moment they sense youΓÇÖre looking down and drained and just not into it, radiate positivity and the viewers will come back to you.

Good luck with your adventure :blush:

Last edited:

RandomFamilia

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
It's easy to be discouraged when losing subscribers and in all reality it is an encouraging thing to read what you said as I have been sick for awhile and when I went back on my channel and saw my count had dropped, I wasn't depressed I did think subscribers had unsubscribed so thanks for sharing that YouTube has it's broom out again! Have a great night!

Average Jon Fishing

TubeBuddy Pro
Seems like a lot of small youtubers, me included, get sucked into sub for sub groups or DMs on social media and Youtube likes to purge those subs who only sub to bump numbers up without watching or interacting with the page so content is very important. If you generate natural and engrossed subscribers they should hang around for a long time.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Nicely done. Creators should learn to focus on the content instead of the subscribers. As the movie says "build it and they will come".