• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Blanket promote yourself

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
One of the things I've been doing lately is blanket promoting as best I can. I post not only to YT of course, but also to twitter and facebook (my own page and sometimes group or product pages that allow it) to make use of @ handles and #. I've also used Reddit on community pages (again that allow these kinds of postings).

My point is, make use of as much of the social community world as there is to promote your video, channel, and views. Just make your post organic and don't be a ghost. Try to participate in the communities that you're posting in. Definitely get a twitter handle for your page as well as probably an instagram and make a facebook page.

Hope this helps.

LiquidOcelot

TubeBuddy User
OP does it help if you do livestream on YouTube and Twitter (Periscope) at the same time. I never tested live streaming on twitter but does it boost engagement on your other social media accounts like YouTube?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't like the term "blanket" promotion because I just just see that as another word for "spam" I mean, I get what you're saying and it's wise to remember to diversify your platforms, but you don't want to just be dumping links anywhere and everywhere. I think it's much better to be strategic with where you share your links. I like where you were going with this post, I just don't like the specific term "Blanket" as it has some negetive connotations to it... like when you judge everyone and people say "That's a blanket statement"

Kat79

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I have all social media handles on my channel, the problem is I can't manage them all by myself. It drives me crazy. So what I did is choose two (one is my Youtube channel, another one is Facebook) to focus on. Although I do share my new uploads on my other social media accounts.

OP
OP
MiddleofKnowhere

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I don't like the term "blanket" promotion because I just just see that as another word for "spam" I mean, I get what you're saying and it's wise to remember to diversify your platforms, but you don't want to just be dumping links anywhere and everywhere. I think it's much better to be strategic with where you share your links. I like where you were going with this post, I just don't like the specific term "Blanket" as it has some negetive connotations to it... like when you judge everyone and people say "That's a blanket statement"

I get this, and yes I mean diversify. Tomato, tomato. I just know many content types have communities all over and if you're involved in them on different platforms then share. Again with things like FB, Twitter, and Insta, you're not spamming you're doing your own thing and utilizing # and @ to get your brand/content out there.

EnglishwithLiz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I have all social media handles on my channel, the problem is I can't manage them all by myself. It drives me crazy. So what I did is choose two (one is my Youtube channel, another one is Facebook) to focus on. Although I do share my new uploads on my other social media accounts.
I empathise with this and it is what has put me off this strategy. However I realise that it makes sense 'to take the plunge', so, and this I appreciate will be a contentious Q on this platform, what is the best app to manage YT, Facebook & Insta?? ..... and how do you overcome the various aspect ratio issues??

OP
OP
MiddleofKnowhere

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I mainly deal with Twitter. Insta is more for the photos anyway and doesn't necessarily let you post links. It's all about the synergizing between platforms to build the audience. It's no different than a twitch streamer who makes refined video montages on YT. 2 platforms, multiple forms of communication and also monetization when that becomes a factor. For you Liz, twitter might be good b/c you could do short "lessons of the day" type things and say "for more, go to my yt channel."

Reactions: EnglishwithLiz

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I personally don't post many of my video links on my social media sites (facebook, instagram, twitter) because simply I feel that most people just scroll right on passed it and I don't want to just seem desperate for views and subs. The people on my social media don't post on YouTube like I do ( or at all) and some I feel don't even visit YouTube that much especially to watch content like mine so I just don't get the point.
I post my videos here (self promotion forum) and talk about my videos and video making here because everyone on this forum is into the same thing (being a YouTuber, making videos, etc) so it doesn't feel as much out of place.
This is just my opinion on the subject.

#ThreeQuotesThursday

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Great advice and exactly my process each week:

Upload to Youtube
Upload to LinkedIn
Upload to Twitter
Upload thumbnail to Facebook profile with link in comment
Upload to several YouTube groups on Facebook
Upload to a few motivational quotes groups and sometimes other groups related to that weeks subject
Upload thumbnail or video preview to Instagram and mention in insta story
Upload to TubeBuddy promotion section of forum

I also comment on similar YouTube videos in my niche (motivational and inspiring quotes) about what I like about their video. Sometimes just that, sometimes I mention how they have inspired some of the work I produce on my own channel etc...

I also occasionally WhatsApp the link to some of my friends.

I also comment on forum posts in TubeBuddy, not to promote my work but to respond to others where I can and if I think I have any advice.

Youtube is a slow and steady process I have found, more a long game than a quick result but I enjoy creating and thatΓÇÖs the main reason to do it, because you enjoy it.

Just my thoughts on it. Great post.

InspirationalbyMarie

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
All of you have relevant points and strategies. I would say I do something similar more similar to @Three quotes Thursday's strategy which I discussed in my latest video on how I reached my 1000 subscribers;). Although I dont use Linkedin as all of platforms get too much for me so I choose the ones I get more response from. However Instagram You tube and Facebook Forums seem to work best for me.

Last edited:

#ThreeQuotesThursday

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
All of you have relevant points and strategies. I would say I do something similar more similar to @Three quotes Thursday's strategy which I discussed in my latest video on how I reached my 100 subscribers;). Although I dont use Linkedin as all of platforms get too much for me so I choose the ones I get more response from. However Instagram You tube and Facebook Forums seem to work best for me.
I put it on LinkedIn as that is where my videos and the concept started as wanted to give something not back to connections that wasnΓÇÖt related to my day job and wasnΓÇÖt a sales video asking for custom, just a break from the daily marketing and sales video they see on LinkedIn and to give a moments break to watch something that may be insightful or thought provoking. It then naturally made its way over to Youtube which I focus on more but still keep on LinkedIn too. It sounds, as you said you are taking a similar approach to me, however, your video talks about 100 subscribers but I only have 11 currently which is funny to me as those that have commented say they love my content and think I should have much more than this but itΓÇÖs a waiting game I guess and as long as consistently putting out regular content there is plenty for viewers to watch when they do find you or if one of your videos starts getting pushed out more. ItΓÇÖs all good, enjoying the process!

InspirationalbyMarie

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I put it on LinkedIn as that is where my videos and the concept started as wanted to give something not back to connections that wasnΓÇÖt related to my day job and wasnΓÇÖt a sales video asking for custom, just a break from the daily marketing and sales video they see on LinkedIn and to give a moments break to watch something that may be insightful or thought provoking. It then naturally made its way over to Youtube which I focus on more but still keep on LinkedIn too. It sounds, as you said you are taking a similar approach to me, however, your video talks about 100 subscribers but I only have 11 currently which is funny to me as those that have commented say they love my content and think I should have much more than this but itΓÇÖs a waiting game I guess and as long as consistently putting out regular content there is plenty for viewers to watch when they do find you or if one of your videos starts getting pushed out more. ItΓÇÖs all good, enjoying the process!
Sorry, meant to say 1000 subscribers , but I am on 1270 or so now. I can see how you metamorphised. If you would like to you can have a look at my video and you will see that I used a similar strategy and you will see what I mean and how I did it. Everyone's story is different and you are right consistent and regular and enjoying the process is key

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖm with @Beanie Draws on this, but IΓÇÖm just imagining this to something like, well, let me paint you a picture (excuse the pun): imagine me standing in a crowded shopping center, I have a box full of fliers, those represent my video links, I fling them into the air, this represents me posting everywhere, and everyone caught up in this storm of fliers are the users and viewers on the various platforms, how many people will pick up the fliers? Probably one or two out of the hundreds there, this represents the impressions vs the CTR, and how many will report me to the authorities for throwing fliers? Quite a few, these represent the annoyed users, and the authorities represent the admins and mods. ItΓÇÖs basically the same as this whole blanket promoting, another way of calling it spam.

In short, I personally donΓÇÖt support this whole blanket promoting, for me, especially now, nothing does a better job than YouTube itself, as youΓÇÖve just gotta keep feeding that algorithm so it knows how to put our content in front of the correct audience, as well as learning about SEO, the art of thumbnail making, and producing searchable content. I almost never promote my content now as what IΓÇÖve built up seems to still bring in some satisfactory views just from uploading.

ThereΓÇÖs still nothing wrong with promoting outside YouTube, but like here on these forums, youΓÇÖve gotta get yourself known as well as letting the members in those groups know what youΓÇÖre all about, what you can offer that is of value to those potential viewers, give them a reason why they should subscribe, like if they liked what you had to offer and you feel they could use more of what you can give them, remind them to subscribe, but nothing more.

I myself would only promote outside YouTube if I feel itΓÇÖs absolutely necessary, other than that, YouTubes algorithm is starting to bring me views.

Growing Up Walls

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
growingupwalls.com
Subscriber Goal
imagine me standing in a crowded shopping center, I have a box full of fliers, those represent my video links, I fling them into the air, this represents me posting everywhere, and everyone caught up in this storm of fliers are the users and viewers on the various platforms, how many people will pick up the fliers?

I love your metaphors, Damo's Paintings. Let me offer another.

Every time I post I share a link to a dedicated Twitter account and Facebook page, and also to my personal Facebook profile and Twitter account. Here's how I view these: the dedicated Twitter and Facebook are less like throwing flyers into the air, and more like having a small store or kiosk in the mall. I've got my stack of flyers there, out of the way, and if people want to pick one up, they're going to have to stop by to get it. It doesn't feel like littering flyers everywhere because people have to opt in to those.

And for my personal Twitter and Facebook, those people are my friends, or people who have expressed interest in me and what I say online. By posting my videos to share, I'm offering them more of that - pieces of myself and my opinions.

So I agree with OP - post as many places as you have available to you, with the knowledge that you're either putting this information out in a place where people have opted in for that information, or in a place where people already like you, and you're sharing pieces of yourself.

And I also agree with the folks who have argued that "blanket" sharing is going to turn some people off. If all you contribute in a forum, or Facebook group, or wherever, is your videos, you're not doing yourself any favors.

Good luck, everyone! :heart:

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I love your metaphors, Damo's Paintings. Let me offer another.

Every time I post I share a link to a dedicated Twitter account and Facebook page, and also to my personal Facebook profile and Twitter account. Here's how I view these: the dedicated Twitter and Facebook are less like throwing flyers into the air, and more like having a small store or kiosk in the mall. I've got my stack of flyers there, out of the way, and if people want to pick one up, they're going to have to stop by to get it. It doesn't feel like littering flyers everywhere because people have to opt in to those.

And for my personal Twitter and Facebook, those people are my friends, or people who have expressed interest in me and what I say online. By posting my videos to share, I'm offering them more of that - pieces of myself and my opinions.

So I agree with OP - post as many places as you have available to you, with the knowledge that you're either putting this information out in a place where people have opted in for that information, or in a place where people already like you, and you're sharing pieces of yourself.

And I also agree with the folks who have argued that "blanket" sharing is going to turn some people off. If all you contribute in a forum, or Facebook group, or wherever, is your videos, you're not doing yourself any favors.

Good luck, everyone! :heart:
I definitely like your metaphor too, as thatΓÇÖs how itΓÇÖs meant to be done, mine pretty much represents what this whole ΓÇ£blanketΓÇ¥ promote would look like.