• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Do I sound like a robot?

yootoober

User name: yootoober
Title of thread: Do I sound like a robot?
Self review: Content wise it's nothing more than a commentary with some gaming. I've been playing FPS-games before but deliberately chose a rally-game this time because I thought it would be more captivating while doing commentary. I probably need to improve my speech since I heard I sound like a robot before. I'd like to know what you think about my voice? Do I sound like a robot, and if that's the case, what makes me sound like one? Monotone, dull, not engaged etc.? Also I have background music, is it too loud or to low? Any other type of feedback would be nice to hear also!
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iscMaLwliU0&ab_channel=Vyer

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/32484/

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hi yootoober!
I do not think you sound like a robot. When I think of robots I think of things like Google translate which shows no emotions when they speak, making them sound monotone. When robots read things they don't understand the context of what is being said, and only see and read the text, Nothing else. They also don't have the knowledge behind the text that's being said like you do in your videos.
As for the background music, I started watching the video before seeing that you mentioned there being background music, and honestly I couldn't tell there was one. I am only hearing your voice in the video, and nothing else. That's a good thing because it means I can understand what's being said easily without having to raise my volume up super high. If you want background music to be heard in your video, just turn it up a bit more but make sure you are still mainly hearing your voice in the video as that is what I am assuming is the most important part of the video when it comes to audio.

Reactions: yootoober
OP
OP
yootoober

yootoober

Hi yootoober!
I do not think you sound like a robot. When I think of robots I think of things like Google translate which shows no emotions when they speak, making them sound monotone. When robots read things they don't understand the context of what is being said, and only see and read the text, Nothing else. They also don't have the knowledge behind the text that's being said like you do in your videos.
As for the background music, I started watching the video before seeing that you mentioned there being background music, and honestly I couldn't tell there was one. I am only hearing your voice in the video, and nothing else. That's a good thing because it means I can understand what's being said easily without having to raise my volume up super high. If you want background music to be heard in your video, just turn it up a bit more but make sure you are still mainly hearing your voice in the video as that is what I am assuming is the most important part of the video when it comes to audio.

Alright good to know! That cleared things up for me, I'll try turning up the volume on the background music then!

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Super geeky stuff, but you typically want your voice channel audio normalized at something around -10 dBFS and your background music audio between -20 and -30 dBFS.

OP
OP
yootoober

yootoober

Super geeky stuff, but you typically want your voice channel audio normalized at something around -10 dBFS and your background music audio between -20 and -30 dBFS.

Not geeky at all to me :) I'm looking for numbers so that's great! I have my voice audio at -6 (with compressor) and background music at -25 though I use lowpass filter on it so it's probably below -25 db. Do you know any good video using those settings so I can compare my footage with it?

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
Not geeky at all to me :) I'm looking for numbers so that's great! I have my voice audio at -6 (with compressor) and background music at -25 though I use lowpass filter on it so it's probably below -25 db. Do you know any good video using those settings so I can compare my footage with it?
I don't, but it is worth noting that YouTube normalizes your audio to -14 LUFS. So if you are out of balance on upload it will flatten it and potentially make it worse. Most well mixed voice overs will use the settings I mentioned. I couldn't even tell you where I learned it, but it has been the "industry standard" for as long as I can remember. And I'm old so that's been a while... :D

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
And @yootoober I'll tell you, I normally do this in my videos. I actually made a mistake in my latest (Episode 9) where I forgot to fix the audio track. So you can see what it sounds like when correctly balanced (any previous episode) and when it isn't (episode 9)

CelticSpike

TubeBuddy Pro
sorry your video is private so i can't comment, but i am also starting to wonder if my voice is a problem for me. I just think i have a very flat tone which does not help in engaging viewers.

Oliver & Liz

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
There is a pretty popular creator that does voiceovers for his cooking videos and it is 99% monotone but he mixes in humor so it balances out. What do you think of your voice?