• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Camera Gear New Canon C70! It's what we've been waiting for!

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Finally Canon made a true entry level cinema camera. It's obvious they looked at what Panasonic's S1H, Blackmagic's Pocket Cine Cam, and Z-cam E2 and made something that kind of combines all these approaches. It quite phenomenal really. The one thing all these companies have in common is they have an entry level cine camera that people will eventually upgrade to the full fledged version.

For instance Panasonic S1H was designed to get peopel color grading with the Varicam's colors with the ultimate goal to get them on and EVA-1 or Varicam of some sort.

Blackmagic's offering does the same. The Pocket Cinema Camera is an entry level version of the URSA series. Obviously the goal is to get someone into the system and ultimately upgrade to the full-fledged version. Z-cam has also followed suite with their E2 line and they now have the S6,F6, F8 flagship line. Even though these are just entry level cameras, they are not slouches. What's more is each entry level camera will serve as a perfect b-camera once/if people upgrade.

Last edited:

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Looking forward to the hands-on reviews. The internal ND filter is interesting considering how much people complain about the competitors not having it. Also noted they are calling out the improved airflow and cooling after the overheating fiasco.

Not sure about price-point. $5500 for the body and then a pretty necessary $600 for the speed booster puts them at a price point with some real competition. I mean, I went into the BMPCC 6k system for less money, don't need a speed booster and get higher-quality RAW output at 6k with better color space.

That said, still looks like a heck of a piece of kit!

• Love
Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, they dropped the pass when it comes to raw. Even my little E2Cs can output raw over HDMI in either ProRezRAW or zRAW. $5k is a bit steep considering that you could buy an URSA mini Pro G2 for just $5,995. Also the S1H at $3,997 is a steal, and the Z-cam F6 at $3,995. All of which use EF mount for those with EF glass. With a good Ninja V, you'd still come out cheaper.

The thing I like most about the C70 is the RF mount. I use old Canon FD glass, so a simple adapter makes use without losing any light.

• Love
Reactions: SILTHW

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
Yeah, I'm a huge believer in sticking with an ecosystem as much as possible, mostly to get the maximum value out of previous investments. There is no doubt this fills a gap in the Canon ecosystem and gives people the option to stick with them versus going to the many other alternatives you mentioned.

• Love

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
The thing about cameras, is technically they're all the same... a device intended to capture light onto a sensor, but they all do it differently in terms of ergonomics in the hands, how clear the glass is in being able to capture a good sharp image, the kind of zoom you get from the camera, if it does it optically or digitally, viewfinder can be very important, if it even includes a viewfinder. I've had cameras with digital viewfinders and the viewfinder was pretty "meh" all it was good for was composing a frame... then I got a DSLR and being able to see EVERYTHING in terms of clarity and depth was amazing, but you don't get to see exposure.

I'd be very curious to see how this camera deals with focus, as I've found focusing with DSLR styled video cameras to be a tediously horrible experience BUT, having the ability to manually focus via a DSLR lens looks exciting. I'd have to watch a few videos on this camera to see if it's worth getting excited about :)

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
The thing about cameras, is technically they're all the same... a device intended to capture light onto a sensor, but they all do it differently in terms of ergonomics in the hands, how clear the glass is in being able to capture a good sharp image, the kind of zoom you get from the camera, if it does it optically or digitally, viewfinder can be very important, if it even includes a viewfinder. I've had cameras with digital viewfinders and the viewfinder was pretty "meh" all it was good for was composing a frame... then I got a DSLR and being able to see EVERYTHING in terms of clarity and depth was amazing, but you don't get to see exposure.

I'd be very curious to see how this camera deals with focus, as I've found focusing with DSLR styled video cameras to be a tediously horrible experience BUT, having the ability to manually focus via a DSLR lens looks exciting. I'd have to watch a few videos on this camera to see if it's worth getting excited about :)
This is why so many people are using the Sony cameras right now. They have a crazy-fast continuous autofocus that works really well. And each release it seems to get a bit better. Down side is that it eats battery life so you pretty much have to have it on power to do anything.

Fast, clean autofocus without eating batteries seems to be the holy grail right now.

But I do like that I can output my BMPCC to a monitor via HDMI. So my "viewfinder" is a 27" monitor :D

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Finally Canon made a true entry level cinema camera. It's obvious they looked at what Panasonic's S1H, Blackmagic's Pocket Cine Cam, and Z-cam E2 and made something that kind of combines all these approaches. It quite phenomenal really. The one thing all these companies have in common is they have an entry level cine camera that people will eventually upgrade to the full fledged version.

For instance Panasonic S1H was designed to get peopel color grading with the Varicam's color with the ultimate goal to get them on and EVA-1 or Varicam of some sort.

Blackmagic's offering does the same. the Pocket Cinema Camera is an entry level version of the URSA series. Obviously the goal is to get someone into the system and ultimately upgrade to the full-fledged version. Z-cam has also followed suite with their E2 line and they now have the S6,F6, F8 flagship line. Even though these are just entry level cameras, they are not slouches. What's more is each entry level camera will serve as a perfect b-camera once/if people upgrade.

I might switch back. So excited for this.

• Love