• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion 2min rule

Uncle Momo

Familiar Member
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Just want to get this off my chest really, as a YouTuber who reacts to music, thereΓÇÖs a lot of this 2min rule going on around the social media...e.g. you have to watch no less than two mins before subbing etc. Surely if you have a 10min video youΓÇÖll have to watch more than 2mins. I think YouTube calculation of the 2mins rule depends on how long your video is E.g 5mins video is fine for a 2mins watch but a 25min video youΓÇÖll have to watch 5mins or more.

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have no idea of this rule !!!!!!!!!

In fact, I have seen a similar post by @Kari B .

Growing Up Walls

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
growingupwalls.com
Subscriber Goal
I mean...if you're legitimately interested in the content, why would it matter how long you consume it? I would personally think you would only be concerned with "watching for X minutes before doing Y action" if you were trying to work around the system somehow. It sounds like a sub for sub "rule", and sub for sub doesn't work, and isn't a productive practice in general.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Never heard of it. If I know a creator I may subscribe before even starting a video. Or if I take a liking to the content I will sub when I feel like it. I have never heard of any time rule. Where is this from?

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I have no idea of this rule !!!!!!!!!

In fact, I have seen a similar post by @Kari B .

This right here.

There are constant rumors about this with different durations, but none of it seems to be true. While no one know exactly how the algorithm works, this seems to be continually disproven.

OP
OP
Uncle Momo

Uncle Momo

Familiar Member
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Where did you come across that 2 min rule - I've not heard that before?
ThereΓÇÖs a lot o artist subscribing to each other there agreement is watching each otherΓÇÖs songs Ect for no less than 2mins they say youtube unsubscribed people if they listen to less then subscribe after

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
ThereΓÇÖs a lot o artist subscribing to each other there agreement is watching each otherΓÇÖs songs Ect for no less than 2mins they say youtube unsubscribed people if they listen to less then subscribe after
Oh... sounds like a sub4sub game. I would not play that game.

Deciden0w

TubeBuddy Pro
savagebutsimple.business.site
Subscriber Goal
Not a great way to grow long term, I would much rather have genuine subscribers watching because they find value in my content - that has to be the best way to grow
100% feel the same. Real subscribers can also interact with your videos and leave comments. I still don't get why people continue to do the sub4sub thing

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
That my friend, is a "sub for sub" group, and that's the worst group of people to be around. The only reason why they're saying "no less than 2 minutes" is because they're sub for subbing, but they know none of them will actually watch the videos, so they say the rule is to watch for no less than 2 minutes so they get enough watch time to not tank their channels for sub for subbing, because if you're just getting subs, and not getting views or watch time, you're killing your channel but asking people to sub to your channel and promising to sub to others in return.

There is no rule, and if you want GOOD retention, you want a lot more than 2 minutes if your video is 10 minutes long (something I'm still trying to acheive myself... the art of making a good interesting video is a tough one)

Stay away from those type of groups and people... you want QUALITY viewers, not viewers with rules.

Reactions: Uncle Momo