• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice What category to pick?

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Because of my job I have to start a second channel. At the start the channel will contain beginners guides for HTML, CSS and JavaScript and in the future it may grow with other related topics.

When uploading videos you pick a category for the video. For my normal channel that's always been easy to me, I have a gaming channel so I pick gaming. But for my job channel this have made me a bit unsure what to pick. I'm thinking one of thees three:
Howto & Style - My videos are clearly howto tutorials so this one could be fitting.
Education - All my videos are educational so this one is also fitting.
Science & Technology - This one might be a stretch but HTML, CSS and JavaScript could be considered technology related?

Which one should I pick and why? Right now I'm leaning towards one of Howto and Education.

• Wow
Reactions: LiquidOcelot

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Because of my job I have to start a second channel. At the start the channel will contain beginners guides for HTML, CSS and JavaScript and in the future it may grow with other related topics.

When uploading videos you pick a category for the video. For my normal channel that's always been easy to me, I have a gaming channel so I pick gaming. But for my job channel this have made me a bit unsure what to pick. I'm thinking one of thees three:
Howto & Style - My videos are clearly howto tutorials so this one could be fitting.
Education - All my videos are educational so this one is also fitting.
Science & Technology - This one might be a stretch but HTML, CSS and JavaScript could be considered technology related?

Which one should I pick and why? Right now I'm leaning towards one of Howto and Education.
Andrew posted a reply to a similar thread a few days ago (can't find it) saying category doesn't matter that much anymore due to tags, etc. You might have better luck searching for the reply than I have had. But I know I'm not hallucinating

Reactions: Ater

LiquidOcelot

TubeBuddy User
Keeping in mind your social media sharing avenues like for me i would always prefer how to videos cause i can easily share them in high traffic oriented subreddits and quora spaces so i would go with How to videos niche however if you got the fire power to boost your educational content than go with that route cause to be honest educational content has a higher Cost per click generally to be honest with you. It all depends on which external sources you are good at getting your traffic from; however if you got a ready made email list of dedicated followers then if i were you i would go with any route to be honest with you.

Growing Up Walls

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
growingupwalls.com
Subscriber Goal
That's a tough one. I would go with Education, based on both Damon's suggestion (since online learning is a big thing), and SILTHW's recollection (that category doesn't matter much because tags, etc). I have a hard time with categories, too. Good luck with your new channel for work!

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Andrew posted a reply to a similar thread a few days ago (can't find it) saying category doesn't matter that much anymore due to tags, etc. You might have better luck searching for the reply than I have had. But I know I'm not hallucinating
Yup, that was here https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/32804/post-100868

It use to matter more, but it's to the point it's just helpful at the initial making the video public, but not much after that.

Reactions: Ater and SILTHW