• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Shoutouts: Respect and Common Sense

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
So I want so bad to begin this with a frustrated story about a recent experience, but I won't. Gonna be the better guy here lol.

If and when you decide to collaborate with another channel or if you are going to give another channel a shoutout there are a couple things you should consider in the process of mapping out that collaboration. I've seen so many channels who show another channels Icon or name on the screen for a few seconds, sometimes they simply say the name and sometimes that is appropriate and all that is needed. But sometimes you want to show that channel that you appreciate them by taking a moment to give them your due diligence in doing a proper, genuine shoutout or collaborative recomendation.

Get Their Name Right
This is simple, but seriously get it right. Little things like a missing apostrophe or mis-capitalized letter looks unprofessional and simply shows the other channel that you don't are enough about them to get their name right. Take a moment and make sure it is spelled correctly.

SHOW Your Appreciation
If/when you are able it helps to go the extra mile (trust me; those little 150 sub channels can be 10k channels in a matter of months and may make powerful allies). Instead of simply writing their name on screen why don't you ask them if you can use some of their footage in the shoutout or as an example of their work? Granted, you want to be mindful of copyright infringement when you do so and you should get a contract signed for even simple use but a lot of the time smaller creators are more than happy to lend some video for such efforts and it makes you look like a star in doing so (plus it makes you look professional when you have your legal ducks in a row). Showing a few seconds of someones work when you are thanking them or shouting them out lets them know you sincerely care and appreciate them. It goes above and beyond in a very generous way.

Drop Those Links!
Of course everybody expects to gain a few subscribers when they get a shoutout. And even if their name is spelled correctly you need to not only show respect to the person you are shouting out but to your audience as well. Make it easier for everyone by providing a link to their channel or collaborative effort in the description of your video and mention that the link is there during the video. Give the other channel an easy path for your audience to follow. If done well this can actually increase traffic to your own videos by inreasing on-platform watchtime. It's also a next-level pro move to include these links, makes you look professional and genuine.

It's A COMMUNITY Tab For A Reason
That community tab can be so grossly underappreciated. It should be used to show appreciation and share content with the community that you are growing. Show them the work of your fellow favorite creators AND more importantly use it to keep track of all those amazing shoutouts and collaborations with other creators. A few years down the road it is going to make for a really awesome timeline of events that have occured on your channel and your collaborators will appreciate that!

Oftentimes a very sincere, genuine shoutout or collaborative effort can miss the mark, especially if it is your first time doing so. Follow these steps to ensure that you are both on the same page as far as expectations go and do them justice by going above and beyond for their efforts. The best bit of advice; think about how you would want them or any other channel to handle giving you a shoutout or a nod after a collaboration and offer them the same. Kindness begets kindness.

• Love
Reactions: kitchen c/o ammama

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
good post mate. I haven't done a shout out in a while, and if I do, it's because I feel like it. I've banned terms like "Shout out" but I'll still get DMs from folks going "can I get a shoutout?", I even got into an argument on these very forms once, and I think I was called a shark, because I was against the idea of giving people shout outs to those begging... but at the end of the day, a genuine shout out is much better than a shout out given because of some level of expectation.

Also, remember that twitter has no edit button. I didn't search to see if someone I was shouting out had a twitter, and when I shouted out their channel on my twitter I said "I don't think they have a twitter" and lo and behold, they did :p

But whenever I do a shout out on video (Which is rare) I'll share a screenshot of their username or channel so I don't have to worry about messing it up.

I've been going through my email notifications lately, and noticed channels I followed from 2018/2019 had changed their channel names, so another thing to remember is sometimes channels WILL change their channel name making the shout out semi redundant if you don't provide a link.

I also think preparing a shout out in advanced works better. And be prepared that giving one person a shout out will result in many, MANY more channels, begging for a shout out as well, or complaining that you didn't give them a shout out, which is why I generally don't give them.

Shout outs unfortunately bring out the entitlement in people.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Shout outs for me are like a path of egg shells with small push pins randomly hidden amongst, take the right steps and youΓÇÖll avoid getting stung.

For me, I need to make sure both parties, me and the other, are engaging through commenting on each otherΓÇÖs work, we stay active and not slowly fade away, we have a good understanding of each other, in short, becoming pals through the platform and getting to know each other, like meeting a new friend.

• Haha
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Ok @Beanie you make a heck of a point... i must admit the entire time i was writing that the term 'shoutout' felt like such a dirty word. And @Damo's Paintings yeah you naiked that as well. There is some... i dont even know how to describe it. Its just kinda icky talking about shoutouts lol.

I dont care about them but if someone gives me a shoutout for some reason I want the ability to thank them. I want to show my appreciation in return. But what upsets me is when that 'shoutout' is such a dumpster-fire effort that it warrants NOT thanking them. That sucks. It sucks that their limited effort took away my ability/willingness to be gracious and thankful.