• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion What IS success???

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
@Beanie Draws put out a fantastic thread, here it is:
But something in that thread caught my eye, What is success to us?

Quite often we are all deeply indulging in our content and focusing so hard on our channel growth that we are forgetting why our channel even exists, we think we know what itΓÇÖs about, but are we providing what it should be about?

Anyways, one part of our channels that a lot of us seem to forget is, what kind of success do we want from our channel, what are we trying to succeed at?

If itΓÇÖs monetization, if itΓÇÖs trying to be like Mr Beast, if itΓÇÖs trying to gain popularity, if itΓÇÖs to accumulate tons of views, then what kind of success is that? Is it unique, or is it just you being a copycat and trying to be like the next Mr Beast or whoever is really big on the platform?

If the success you want is anything like above, or is the above, then you need to go back to the drawing board, especially if your channel is small, like mine.

So youΓÇÖre probably thinking whatΓÇÖs my idea of success then? First of all itΓÇÖs none of the above, because if those were, I wouldΓÇÖve pushed my channel to the death to get it built up faster to achieve the above, but I havenΓÇÖt done such a thing, in fact when I upload, I do very little to promote, and sometimes I donΓÇÖt even post anything about my new video, yet the views still seem to come in, so in a way this can be my idea of success.

Another idea of success for me is changing someoneΓÇÖs life for all the right reasons, sometimes itΓÇÖs big, sometimes itΓÇÖs only small, but no matter what, if it was a positive change, that to me is a form of success, and this happened to me when I ran my first painting class with 10 year olds, a boy didnΓÇÖt want to join in because he felt he would never be good enough for an art class, and heΓÇÖs never had one ever, but his parents said just give it a try, so he did, and after our first painting class, he was overcome with so much joy, he could hardly believe a painting emerged right in front of him which was done by him, he said he got the right guidance to help him overcome is lack of confidence to produce some amazing art, and 4 paintings later, this is what he did:
A4D31D2D-2E89-471D-A579-AA9FEDD8E0F8.jpeg

Remember, this is a boy that never picked up a paint brush until he came to my class.

In short, for me, this is success, and this is something no amount of subscribers or views or Adsense revenue will ever give me, and if something similar did occur from one of my videos, for me, IΓÇÖve already succeeded.

Of course we will all still aim for those big fluffy numbers, myself included, but for me, IΓÇÖd go for monetization mainly to unlock more YouTube features so I can get my ΓÇ£selfishΓÇ¥ content out there more effectively.

Anyways before I close off, we need to put more consideration into what we are really trying to succeed in with our channels.

Feel free to add your thoughts on this.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Could not have said it better myself... loved this post sir! Well done!

I couldn't sum up success into one thing versus another. I know money is a factor, and when measured against other creators at my level I am proud of what we have been able to earn. But I don't judge anybody for their financial situations and I won't let that be the dictating factor of my channel either.

Views? Subs? That's pure vanity, and while I have goals for these metrics they are not the determining factor in it's success either.

Ok, after having pondered this for a bit I have come up with the 'thing' that I hope to get out of this channel in order to determine whether it is a success or not. I want this channel to provide a means of income for me after I retire, I want it to provide a library of memories for my daughter and future grandchildren after we are gone and I want for this to in some way help encourage others to do the same for their families.

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I view it like teaching: if you reach one person and get them to have that a-ha moment, you, your video, your channel are a success--regardless if they subscribe or not. I've had some really good comments about how helpful the video was, thanks for the response etc. To me that's what makes it matter and successful. It won't be sustainable to respond to every comment when I have many, many more subs, but then the videos are still there to re-watch and hopefully community that will have grown will fill that gap.

TANGENT TIME! I never want to be like Mr. Beast mostly b/c he and his people annoy the ever loving crap out of me. *Puts old man pants on* I just don't get him or his appeal and I've watched a few of his videos mouth agape and just getting annoyed. Basically, I don't see the value. Whereas, I can watch a channel going into the inner workings of Frank Herbert's Dune universe or another channel discussing the existential meaning behind Neil Gaiman's Endless for hours. To me those have intrinsic value based on my own literary background and also love for the latter and interest in the former. What value is there in watching some fool autograph 67,000 shirts, and why does that garner 35 million views? Bleh. I'll just chalk it up to something I don't get. I guess it just boils down to different strokes for different folks. Some people are those living in the idiocracy. Others are those who just woke up in it, going WTF mate?

But yeah back on topic, success = affecting someone for the better through content created whatever that may be. Also, success can come in different forms IMO. There can be that more concrete and calculable success of subs, views, minutes watched etc. Then the intangible which I've already touched on. It then comes down to the individual in how they weigh those successes: Which is more important, views/watch time and subs to get monetized, or making a difference, or 50/50?

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Fascinating topic. I'll give you a different take. YouTube is a marketing channel for me. It is one of my marketing channels. What I sell is advisory services to executives. Right now my main source of income is the consulting I do.

YouTube is my "free" content. It is a testing ground for stuff I'm working on and writing. It would be disingenuous to say I don't want to grow my channel through subscribers and views. I do. That's why I am here and why I use TubeBuddy. But my primary metric is leads, and then leads to engagements.

I see it as a self-reenforcing cycle. YouTube drive clients, and client sourced from other channels drives YouTube.

Reactions: MiddleofKnowhere

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Fascinating topic. I'll give you a different take. YouTube is a marketing channel for me. It is one of my marketing channels. What I sell is advisory services to executives. Right now my main source of income is the consulting I do.

YouTube is my "free" content. It is a testing ground for stuff I'm working on and writing. It would be disingenuous to say I don't want to grow my channel through subscribers and views. I do. That's why I am here and why I use TubeBuddy. But my primary metric is leads, and then leads to engagements.

I see it as a self-reenforcing cycle. YouTube drive clients, and client sourced from other channels drives YouTube.

This makes a lot of sense as well. I follow some channels for tutorial purposes and they are also total marketing/gateways for the creator. For instance, I follow a channel that does Davinci Resolve tutorials. He also sells transitions, tables, LUTs etc. The channel provides me with information but it also makes his name more known as well as get his brand out there for his products and probably to get jobs editing as well.

OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I like each response on here, channels that advertise a business, channels that are built up for future retirement, and then there are channels that really do provide helpful and useful information for the viewers.

Unfortunately there are so many channels, new, small or whatever, that mustΓÇÖve run into the likes of Mr Beast, or PewDiePie, or anyone thatΓÇÖs big like that, and tried to copy it, not realizing a back story to those channels, and realizing how much it takes to get to that level, these small players think that just because they see a video of a young guy being pushed down some stairs in a box or a supermarket trolley gaining millions of views, that they can do the same and think theyΓÇÖll get instant success from that.

And yes we still want those subs and views, myself included, but we need the correct reasons for gaining them, like for example, I shouldnΓÇÖt have to speed down the highway in a green wheelie bin in the hopes it doesnΓÇÖt fling me into a tree or a streetlight, just to get subs, IΓÇÖm an art channel and I just need to provide some useful information and offer tips to other artists which will build up a nice library of subscribers and loyal fans, yes itΓÇÖs a slow painful ride but one IΓÇÖm willing to take.

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
In my mind success on YouTube is when you can make a good living out of your channel. I'm not talking about making millions but when you make enough to have a decent home, live a decent life and support your family.

Now for me on a more personal level YouTube and why I started doing YouTube have nothing to do with money. I do it because I enjoy it and every "thank you" comment I get on my tutorials make me happy. But in a grander scale and from a more neutral perspective I would consider a channel like mine as a fun hobby while I would consider someone who actually make a good living out of YouTube for a success.

Last edited: