• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question How YouTube tags works

ritikrks

Suppose i have a small YouTube channel (500 subs) i used some tags which nobody have used ever yet. but people with small as well as big channels starts to put my tags in their videos , will my tags (ranked previously) starts to decrease the ranks for those tags. considering i have used those tags first (so no competition at that time).

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Technically yeah, if someone makes a video that performs better than yours, and uses the same tags as you, they will rank higher if their video is "better" That's just part of the game of YouTube I guess.

Reactions: ritikrks

CelticSpike

TubeBuddy Pro
Technically yeah, if someone makes a video that performs better than yours, and uses the same tags as you, they will rank higher if their video is "better" That's just part of the game of YouTube I guess.
so does that mean you should remain vigilant with your tags and not just keep using the same ones. i.e. constantly re-evaluate the ones you are using

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
so does that mean you should remain vigilant with your tags and not just keep using the same ones. i.e. constantly re-evaluate the ones you are using
No. just means you should keep making new excellent content. Re-changing your tags all the time is a bad idea. It's better to rank number #4 for a tag getting 10 million searches a month, than it is to rank #1 for a tag getting 100 searches a month.
The general rule is if the video is performing well, don't touch it. If someone comes out with a better video than yours, the "simple" solution is to make a new relevant video that's up to date, better than your past video, and better than the other videos out ranking you, so you can outrank them. "New" videos are always preferred by YouTube anyway, and if it's a new GOOD video, then boom.

At the end of the day, the quality of the video is more important than how high it ranks in search anyway.

Reactions: CelticSpike

CelticSpike

TubeBuddy Pro
No. just means you should keep making new excellent content. Re-changing your tags all the time is a bad idea. It's better to rank number #4 for a tag getting 10 million searches a month, than it is to rank #1 for a tag getting 100 searches a month.
The general rule is if the video is performing well, don't touch it. If someone comes out with a better video than yours, the "simple" solution is to make a new relevant video that's up to date, better than your past video, and better than the other videos out ranking you, so you can outrank them. "New" videos are always preferred by YouTube anyway, and if it's a new GOOD video, then boom.

At the end of the day, the quality of the video is more important than how high it ranks in search anyway.
ok thanks for clarifying