• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Question How do you use a gopro as a secondary camera?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've seen a few streamers showing themselves using gopros and what not as secondary cameras, and I'm just wondering how they actually do that? I don't know much about gopros and I'd love to know more about them. do they simply hook them up via usb and that somehow activates both unlimited power AND video access? Or do they somehow need hdmi output? or is it through wifi?

I really need to start bringing multi cam into my arsenal and the wide angle of gopros appeal to me in what I want to do, but the logistics of long recording sessions for live and recording, I just don't understand. So if you know how this is done, I'd love to know :)

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
If you are recording indoors you can just plug the GoPro into any USB charger and run it all day. Some models can use WiFi for live streaming. Retrieving files is generally done via USB, or pull the card and use a card reader.

I do not like the action cams for live streaming because all of them I have seen use the fish eye lens, which makes the video a bit wonky. I film with it and have to do lens correction with my editing software.

Reactions: Beanie Draws
OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
If you are recording indoors you can just plug the GoPro into any USB charger and run it all day. Some models can use WiFi for live streaming. Retrieving files is generally done via USB, or pull the card and use a card reader.

I do not like the action cams for live streaming because all of them I have seen use the fish eye lens, which makes the video a bit wonky. I film with it and have to do lens correction with my editing software.
Yeah it's actually the fish eye lens effect that I like in some instances as a stylistic thing. I wouldn't use it all the time, but when used right, works well for some camera angels :) I wasn't sure if with them, the usb acts as a hdmi. I might just have to get a wifi adaptor for my computer as motherboards for AMD in small form factor don't come with wifi unlike Intel.

Paddle & hike

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Well... In some situation if i'm fishing or doing something like this... I can set-up my main camera on a tripod a couple feet away to capture the full scene and put my gopro (action cam) on a chest harness and record my hands fishing live in front of me... After during editing... You can mix the shots and it's interesting.
This works for many other situations.