• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear News Panasonic's New Strategy

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I hope they find their niche. They've always made good stuff, its just there has always been a slightly better alternative. It's hard to want to invest in their ecosystem for that reason. At least with the 4/3 stuff you could mix and match it. The expansion of their L Mount stuff seems to really change their price-point since it will really only be them and Leica.

Looking at formats, no direct recording to HDD and no support for ProRES, BM RAW, RED, etc. In a $4k camera body.

• Love
Reactions: Damon

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I wonder brand and business strategy will impact camera and image quality and performance.
Panasonic has made a lot of phenomenal cameras. One could make a case that their point-and-shoot stuff was some of the best you could buy for many years. But they stopped really innovating. The problem they have in the market today is that at just about every price point they operate at, there is a better alternative. Want a vlog camera? Sony has better options. Want an interchangeable lens system? Canon, Sony and Fuji have better systems. Want to do video? Canon, RED and Blackmagic have much better systems. Even in the micro four thirds ecosystem, Olympus has better camera bodies.

Now they want to expand into L Mount (they already have investments there), but most people who want to invest in that space are going to buy Leica.

So I'm not really sure how they find a competitive niche. Feels too little too late.

• Love
Reactions: Damon