• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Prepare A Plan for the Long Term

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I think this is one of the most overlooked and underappreciated aspects of good content creation. Having a long-term plan is so essential. There is a common sentiment that Content Creators 'blow up overnight' or that all it takes is 'one video' to make it, and this mindset completely ignores the highly-powerful tool that is the long-term plan.

Let's look at this in detail. Imagine that you have a channel with ten videos. You are new, you are still learning how to interact with your audience and get comfortable on camera. You are still figuring out how to create a genuine, captivating reason for viewers to subscriber to your channel and you are just now beginning to grasp all the amazing things that your editing software is capable of doing for you.

And then you get a hit video. That tenth video pops and suddenly tens of thousands of people are watching it. And nobody is subscribing because you haven't mastered a genuine way to convince them they should. You get 1,000,000 views on that one video and tens of thousands on the other nine videos as people come flooding in to see your other work. And all that they have to see are those first ten videos. They don't get to see the amazing things you just learned how to do with your new software or camera because it hasn't been made yet.

Now don't get me wrong; this is the foundation for a solid channel and with a little sweat labor you can pump out some content and and improve quickly and keep people entertained, although there will be some loss of audience as not everybody will be willing to hang around and wait for that next video nor is ten videos going to keep their interest for very long. And you will not have capitalized on that viral video in the way that you could have!

Now let's look at a better scenario, the long-term plan thaty ou should be aiming for right now.

You have spent two or three years watching and learning about SEO, perfecting your watchtime and CTR metrics. Not only have you learned how to perfect your watchtime based on analytics that tell you exactly what to do and what not to do in your videos but you have practiced and perfected the ability to slip in a genuine reason why the viewer should subscribe to your channel. You have worked tediously for years perfecting your craft, your videos and your channel in general and now you sit on top of a library of 400 videos and you wake up to find out that one of them has gone viral. Guess what?

It's not just that one video that gets 1,000,000 views. You have dozens of playlists on your channel and viewers are suddenly binge-watching everything you've got. That 1,000,000 view video is bringing in tens of millions of views. Strong CTA's are pulling in subscribers across your entire library. The backlog of four or five videos that you batch filmed two weeks ago and have ready to publish buys you the few days that you need to film a few more just like the one that went viral so you can ride that wave as long as possible.

The common misconception is that 'going viral' is the goal. That once this happens it will be the big windfall needed in order to pivot away from the nine-to-five and focus solely on the things you enjoy doing for a living. But many times this is not the case. There are plenty of creators out there who struggle even into the 100,000 subscriber range and beyond. The best thing you can do for yourself is to set yourself up for success early on. Focus on making great content. Focus on mastering best practices. Honor your audience. Enjoy what you do. And quit thinking that it is this next video that is going to be the one to make or break your channel. If you aren't already looking forward to the video that you are going to make one-hundred videos from now then why should anyone else look forward to the video that you publish tomorrow?

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I think this is one of the most overlooked and underappreciated aspects of good content creation. Having a long-term plan is so essential. There is a common sentiment that Content Creators 'blow up overnight' or that all it takes is 'one video' to make it, and this mindset completely ignores the highly-powerful tool that is the long-term plan.

Let's look at this in detail. Imagine that you have a channel with ten videos. You are new, you are still learning how to interact with your audience and get comfortable on camera. You are still figuring out how to create a genuine, captivating reason for viewers to subscriber to your channel and you are just now beginning to grasp all the amazing things that your editing software is capable of doing for you.

And then you get a hit video. That tenth video pops and suddenly tens of thousands of people are watching it. And nobody is subscribing because you haven't mastered a genuine way to convince them they should. You get 1,000,000 views on that one video and tens of thousands on the other nine videos as people come flooding in to see your other work. And all that they have to see are those first ten videos. They don't get to see the amazing things you just learned how to do with your new software or camera because it hasn't been made yet.

Now don't get me wrong; this is the foundation for a solid channel and with a little sweat labor you can pump out some content and and improve quickly and keep people entertained, although there will be some loss of audience as not everybody will be willing to hang around and wait for that next video nor is ten videos going to keep their interest for very long. And you will not have capitalized on that viral video in the way that you could have!

Now let's look at a better scenario, the long-term plan thaty ou should be aiming for right now.

You have spent two or three years watching and learning about SEO, perfecting your watchtime and CTR metrics. Not only have you learned how to perfect your watchtime based on analytics that tell you exactly what to do and what not to do in your videos but you have practiced and perfected the ability to slip in a genuine reason why the viewer should subscribe to your channel. You have worked tediously for years perfecting your craft, your videos and your channel in general and now you sit on top of a library of 400 videos and you wake up to find out that one of them has gone viral. Guess what?

It's not just that one video that gets 1,000,000 views. You have dozens of playlists on your channel and viewers are suddenly binge-watching everything you've got. That 1,000,000 view video is bringing in tens of millions of views. Strong CTA's are pulling in subscribers across your entire library. The backlog of four or five videos that you batch filmed two weeks ago and have ready to publish buys you the few days that you need to film a few more just like the one that went viral so you can ride that wave as long as possible.

The common misconception is that 'going viral' is the goal. That once this happens it will be the big windfall needed in order to pivot away from the nine-to-five and focus solely on the things you enjoy doing for a living. But many times this is not the case. There are plenty of creators out there who struggle even into the 100,000 subscriber range and beyond. The best thing you can do for yourself is to set yourself up for success early on. Focus on making great content. Focus on mastering best practices. Honor your audience. Enjoy what you do. And quit thinking that it is this next video that is going to be the one to make or break your channel. If you aren't already looking forward to the video that you are going to make one-hundred videos from now then why should anyone else look forward to the video that you publish tomorrow?

It's what we did at TubeBuddy and how we are able to keep growing at the speed we are. ANother thing is focus on the viewer. THe YOU in YouTube is now the YOU in the audience. A lot of people go in for them, and are surprised when the only person caring about them, is them.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Man emphasis on the viewer could be an article in and of itself. Well said @Andrew thank you sir!

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
this is so true. It's actually interesting, I had a bit of a rant the other day about "why should someone subscribe to you" based on the "me me me" nature of a lot of channels I'd been following, and the interesting thing is they all gave up after about a year with "only" 1k subs. It seems a lot of channels don't plan for the long term, they only focus on the short term successes, and if that success doesn't come "fast enough", they abandon it. I've noticed a few art channels that gave up when views and subscribers didn't reach their expectation, and they left, meanwhile, I've been at this for 5 years, and now have 27 thousand subscribers, and have no plans on leaving any time soon. MKBHD, Mr Beast, Gary Vee, all took YEARS before they saw growth, and I don't think for any of them, growth was their number one priority, it was longevity and value to the audience that they cared about.

I really think you should be planning for a 10 year minimum plan, if you're planning for success on the platform. I don't understand the concept of joining a platform only to be there for a few days/weeks and then leave. I mean sure, I've done that with some platforms as an experiment to test out the platform, but if a platform is established, you really should be focusing on the long term journey.

Reactions: Growing Up Walls

Growing Up Walls

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
growingupwalls.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm new, but I agree. Thank you so much for sharing. I am not banking on going viral, I'm banking on time to learn, finding my "voice" on my channel, working on my editing, etc. Doing the best I can with what I have, and preparing to work for it.

And all of the things I don't know are why I've joined TubeBuddy. Already I'm learning more about SEO from this service than I ever did in my years at my job (believe it or not, I'm in a marketing position with no marketing training :D) or with my previous blogs, etc. So thank you so much for that.

Just out of curiosity, what would your advice be for someone with that long-term plan who may hit that perfect combo of viral content and timing before they're ready? What happens when you're not ready to ramp things up? Is it okay to just keep on with the plan and keep plugging away even though that may mean losing the audience that just showed up and hoping that the previous perfection is stumbled on again?

this is so true. It's actually interesting, I had a bit of a rant the other day about "why should someone subscribe to you" based on the "me me me" nature of a lot of channels I'd been following, and the interesting thing is they all gave up after about a year with "only" 1k subs. It seems a lot of channels don't plan for the long term, they only focus on the short term successes, and if that success doesn't come "fast enough", they abandon it. I've noticed a few art channels that gave up when views and subscribers didn't reach their expectation, and they left, meanwhile, I've been at this for 5 years, and now have 27 thousand subscribers, and have no plans on leaving any time soon. MKBHD, Mr Beast, Gary Vee, all took YEARS before they saw growth, and I don't think for any of them, growth was their number one priority, it was longevity and value to the audience that they cared about.

I really think you should be planning for a 10 year minimum plan, if you're planning for success on the platform. I don't understand the concept of joining a platform only to be there for a few days/weeks and then leave. I mean sure, I've done that with some platforms as an experiment to test out the platform, but if a platform is established, you really should be focusing on the long term journey.

You are absolutely correct. I am slowly getting back into youtube again taking a year hiatus to focus on my job, kids, and family. I was at it on and off since 2010 with 3 years of producing consistent content before getting a lot of subs. So I essentially stopped producing content after 33k Subs. I am starting back on it again and it looks to be an uphill battle with 38K subs. No interaction for so long..it's like a dead channel.

A good friend of mine(Phil Vandussen)started with zero subs and is crushing it on Youtube and got discovered after a little over a year. He had 8k subs and then skyrocketed 60k in just a few weeks after his content was posted on a design site. He posted every week consistently for over a year for this to happen. His content is terrific too. A lot of value for consumers. He is a branding expert and has been interviewed by Roberto Blake and several others. He is now close to 200K in less than 3 years. So it is possible. You need great content, and a little luck.

Beanie, LOVE your dinosaur drawings! My son would love your channel. My channel is about drawing and designing cars but I am now trying to change it to something a little different and trying to expand my audience.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

WV Pet Project

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal

VERY motivational!!!!!

Wandering Soup

Thank you for this! Needed to "see" this today.

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB