• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Focus on One Format vs Experiment when Starting Out

Feraldy Naufal

Hello everyone.

When you're starting a YouTube channel, what's the best way to approach it?
Focus on one video format or make many experiment to know which works best?
I want to create a music channel, but as of now the format keeps changing.
Sometimes I sing and play guitar, sometimes I post music compositions with pictures...
Sometimes I sing and play guitar with my compositions as the backing track.

My newest uploads are music compositions with pictures.
However, I kinda want to go back to sing and play guitar too.
Is it okay to keep changing the format like that when you're starting out?

residentcasuals

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Music is varied in itself so I don't think your viewers will be considered if you branch out and do different music videos. Maybe if you create a schedule and say Mondays are for singing and guitar and Tuesdays are for music composition with pics etc. Scheduling is good because it gives your subs a routine like a tv show.

Honestly I dont think your two video types are so vastly different people will be confused what type of channel you are so I say go for it brother.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Sadly we live in a time where viewers are searching for very specific type on content as opposed to the creator themselves. Newer channels have it the hardest as they have to start with limitations in order to build a channel. So, in a sense what you want is to stick to one kind of content, in your case making music, while experimenting on different ideas on how to create your content around your music. The format of the video is not that important at first as you are learning and growing while you find your "thing", that style that make your channel stand out. The best part of being a new or small channel is the ability to play with new ideas. Trial and error allows you to test what works best for your content.

See which formats work best for you. Which ones get more attention and expand on that.

Reactions: Feraldy Naufal
OP
OP
Feraldy Naufal

Feraldy Naufal

Sadly we live in a time where viewers are searching for very specific type on content as opposed to the creator themselves. Newer channels have it the hardest as they have to start with limitations in order to build a channel. So, in a sense what you want is to stick to one kind of content, in your case making music, while experimenting on different ideas on how to create your content around your music. The format of the video is not that important at first as you are learning and growing while you find your "thing", that style that make your channel stand out. The best part of being a new or small channel is the ability to play with new ideas. Trial and error allows you to test what works best for your content.

See which formats work best for you. Which ones get more attention and expand on that.

I agree with that. It's true not only for YouTube but other platforms as well.
I think newer channel can branch out too though, as long as they have built considerable amount of audience.
Channels like Davie comes to mind, he's starting out as music channel but now is doing more memes.

Currently I don't have a plan to branch out my content, just finding a comfortable format. :D

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'd say the first 20-40 videos are a good time to experiment. See what you enjoy, what works for you, and if those experiments are enjoyable AND they end up resulting in views and subscribers, then you can persue those styles of videos more. If after say 20-30 you're not seeing any growth, then it's time to start focusing down.

It's generally better to have a focused direction, so being toooo varied isn't good, because you can a jack of all trades, and a master of none, but from 0-100 subs, you can afford to take some gambles and risks with format experimentation.

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I agree with @Beanie Draws. If you're just starting out, it's a good time to dive into whatever interests you. Think of it as a college degree. You still have the time to switch degrees in the first year or so, but once you commit to a degree, there's not a lot of wiggle room left (unless you want to start over).

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws