• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Wierd but it is happening

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have been observing this since last 5 days...

Every time I reply a comment ... I have decrease in Subscribers

Thursday I replied to 9 comments .. 9 unsubscribed
Friday I replied to 3 comments.. 3 unsubscribed
2 days I gave gap
Monday I replied to 11 comments... 11 unsubscribed
Today, I thought it's just a coincidence and I replied just to 1 comment... and then 1 unsubscribed

Now, I am so confused.

This " unsubscribing" happens immediately within an hour of me replying back to comments.

My replying back is usaully " Welcome" " Thank you " " Thank you so much" ... that's it...

Has anyone ever faced such weird situation ?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
That is weird, and no i have never heard of that before. Can you confirm if any of the channels you replied to are still subscribed to you?

My only guess would be that these were bot accounts and somehow replying to them triggered an unsubscribe or that the channels ended up deleted and your reply is what ended up triggering the change in your sub count. If that is the case I find this a very interesting case. I really doubt there is actually a correlation; imagine the discussion that would have to have taken place regarding a change in code for the platform to occur after replying to a comment. Typically stuff of that nature is a combination of events; ie viewers history vs AVD vs how new a video is etc. So I doubt this is simply a 1 to 1 thing. I do wonder if a response ties in to bot account terms or updated sub counts after terms though. Interesting to say the least.

Reactions: Happyday luro

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
DonΓÇÖt stress, as @Stanley Orchard pointed out, probably just bots or something like that, highly unlikely a human would unsubscribe just from comments, if a human did unsubscribe because you were commenting, well, theyΓÇÖre just an egghead. Chin up girl :blush:

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
That is weird, and no i have never heard of that before. Can you confirm if any of the channels you replied to are still subscribed to you?

My only guess would be that these were bot accounts and somehow replying to them triggered an unsubscribe or that the channels ended up deleted and your reply is what ended up triggering the change in your sub count.
Interesting observation. The original post sounds strange, and I guess I have the luxury where I have so many subscribers that I don't notice when people unsubscribe so I wouldn't be able to confirm any weirdness like that on my side.

It does sound somewhat logical that a bot or banned account would be programmed to unsubscribe. I've never given it that much thought, but the specificness of the comments replied to, combined with the specific number of unsubscribes would seem to link this to being the case. Maybe @Andrew might know more because most of use would only be going by speculation, and he has more knowledge of how YouTube truly works.

It COULD just be a reporting but on your end though. I do know sometimes YouTube has reported glitches. Maybe check their twitter to see if they've mentioned this as a bug? I'd also try clearing your cache and resetting to see if it's a bug caused by your browser (or indeed, try see if you can repeat the same instance from another device)

OP
OP
kitchen c/o ammama

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thank you all for your comments..

It started with one person .. I received 2-3 comments from that person .. Later I received an Insta message that her comments are not being visible.

Neither did I receive any notification of her other comments....

Later yesterday , I checked that her comments were found in "spam" section .. I wondered why..

but after rethinking now, every comment I replied to since then resulted in decrease in subscribers. I asked few latest subscribers to whom I replied to if they are still subscribed ... then they said yes ... if that is the case, who unsubscribed then...

I replied using my laptop and mobile .. same thing happened ..

I will test using my other PC today and check it out !

EnglishwithLiz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Those numbers seem too much of a coincidence, the odds against it are very high. Before you noticed this correlation of numbers, what were the normal unsubscribe rates?

I think you need to do a deeper analysis, by identifying the commenter before replying to see if they are a likely bot or not. For me it is quite easy to differentiate between a bot and a student, but guess for your channel it may be a bit more difficult. Good luck

OP
OP
kitchen c/o ammama

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Those numbers seem too much of a coincidence, the odds against it are very high. Before you noticed this correlation of numbers, what were the normal unsubscribe rates?

I think you need to do a deeper analysis, by identifying the commenter before replying to see if they are a likely bot or not. For me it is quite easy to differentiate between a bot and a student, but guess for your channel it may be a bit more difficult. Good luck
Hi .. I understand your Intent ... I usually have unsubscribe rate very less.. 5 unsubscribes per month max ..

and I recently hit 1k and most of the comments are " Congratulations"....

I decided to do two things
1. Clear history / cookies / cache and delete and reinstall the apps
2. Comment from other PC

I did the first option and replied back to one comment " Thank you!"
I also verified the account - she is my friend's friend's friend and a valid account.

and after an hour one subscriber decreased.

Now, I will try the second option ... let's see..

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
If one of your known subscribers (like friends or family) comments and you reply do they disappear? Or do you still lose a subscriber but it's not them?

I haven't noticed this on my channel, but I do lose about a dozen subscribers over the period of a week every four weeks - this has been happening since about March/April and I put it down to YouTube doing a sweep.

OP
OP
kitchen c/o ammama

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have not checked with my friends because they usually don't comment ...

but I checked with few acquaintances , I lost subscriber but it is not them.

How about this ? You Comment and I reply back to you ?

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Sorry for the delay. I have commented on your coconut chutney video - that looks delicious. I haven't subscribed yet, if you comment back we can see if you lose a subscriber, and then I'll subscribe and comment tomorrow to see if that makes a difference.

• Love
Reactions: kitchen c/o ammama

Fact Ghonto

i didn't faced this kind of problems rather didn't heard about too... i also put replies to comments but nothing changed thereafter... so may be there is some king of confusion...

OP
OP
kitchen c/o ammama

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
How have you got on???
Yeah... So, I replied to yours (@EnglishwithLiz ), @Kari B and another comment.. I observed all 3 ... There is no change. No decrease in Subscribers like the way it happened.

Thank you for coming forward to help me out. Thank you others for your suggestions.

I don't know what made the change .. Maybe it's because I cleared my History / cookies/ cache / spam sections and reinstalled apps.... Or Maybe the problem never excited and it was a coincidence .. I don't know...

As of now.. things seem fine .. Finally I can reply back to comments :D

Naheed

Known Member
www.coupongot.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi,
Like everyone else, I have also not encountered any issue like that. Unfortunately, something exceptional is happening to your audience reach. But don't get demotivated. For the next time, make sure that you are commenting down the video that is providing good content and have loyal subscribers over there. obviously, the same value will be added across your channel as well

Reactions: kitchen c/o ammama