• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question I need to see what CATEGORY art vids are posted in

My channel is drawing characters from videogames. I've been posting in the "gaming" category, because weirdly there is no dedicated category for art. I'm interested in seeing what other art channels are choosing for category. Is there a way I can see this?

Last edited by a moderator:

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
For me, if my art videos have more of an educational element to them, I choose education, if theyΓÇÖre leaning towards entertainment, thatΓÇÖs what I choose, but these arenΓÇÖt really as high on my list as good thumbnails and titles, a well SEOΓÇÖd video, and tagged quite well and appropriate to my content, but nothing beats an already existing and supporting audience to your content, thatΓÇÖs just my 1 cents though, @Beanie Draws will no doubt have more to add :)

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
@Beanie Draws ...Can you tell this?
I've been asking a few YouTube professionals and the general concensus is "it doesn't matter" as categories apparently don't mean all that much on YouTube (although @DrEkberg had his health videos being suggested and recommended in music videos for some reason) so it might have more influence on suggested and recommended possibly.

I usually put mine in "Howto and style" as my videos are kinda tutorials, which fits into "howto" and craft is kinda "style"
If your videos are more entertainment than educational, you can try "entertainment" and if it leans more towards animation, "film and animation"

I've been having this issue for a long time, and YouTube's only answer is to "provide us feedback via the youtube app" but the arts and craft topic should have been there 6 years ago! It's no wonder it's been hard to find art content until recent years.

@Andrew can speak more to this because he has more knowledge on the inner brains of YouTube, but from my understanding, categories don't matter, because you can't search YouTube for categories anyway. It used to be more of a thing 10 years ago when YouTube WOULD categories videos, but they haven't done that in years for search, so it's not really that important. Just go with close enough. "howto and style" tends to fit well for me.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
@Andrew can speak more to this because he has more knowledge on the inner brains of YouTube, but from my understanding, categories don't matter, because you can't search YouTube for categories anyway. It used to be more of a thing 10 years ago when YouTube WOULD categories videos, but they haven't done that in years for search, so it's not really that important. Just go with close enough. "howto and style" tends to fit well for me.

It use to matter more, but it's to the point it's just helpful at the initial making the video public, but not much after that.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
It use to matter more, but it's to the point it's just helpful at the initial making the video public, but not much after that.
@Andrew do you see any reason to NOT use "People and Blogs"? I get what you and @Beanie Draws are saying about it being less important for discovery, but is there any negative that could come from something miscategorized?