• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips What's that one "oh yeah, duh" tip you discovered?

AussieBangerz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Was watching the reviews live stream today and it was pointed out that one of the people being reviewed didn't have their channel name in their channel tags. And, of course, neither did I. Not to mention the abbreviation that I use that many people know the channel by...

Great point!
I probably only add my channel name to half of my videos still.
I either forget or run out of tag space..

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I've never added my name to my tags. If I type my name into the search bar my channel comes up so I have never thought to add it as a tag too.

OP
OP
SILTHW

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I've never added my name to my tags. If I type my name into the search bar my channel comes up so I have never thought to add it as a tag too.

My channel name is "Sh*t I Learned the Hard Way" but I post under SILTHW and that's used on twitter, etc. So for me it was the realization that SILTHW wasn't in my tags or searchable...

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
:blush: Oh yeah, of course, I read it as SILT HW I thought perhaps you did something with beaches or dirt and the HW was where you lived. I can see how having your name in your tags would be useful.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
For the longest time I had been told that livestreams will hurt my channel and I never understood why. I heard it from several sources with no explanation.

A few months ago it was explained to me that if you do a livestream and then leave it up it becomes the newest video on your channel, therefore it gets the lions' share of new impressions which it soaks up from other recent videos.

That's when the light went off lol. Finally understood. Of course the simple solution for this is to make the livestream unlisted after it has processed.

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
For the longest time I had been told that livestreams will hurt my channel and I never understood why. I heard it from several sources with no explanation.

A few months ago it was explained to me that if you do a livestream and then leave it up it becomes the newest video on your channel, therefore it gets the lions' share of new impressions which it soaks up from other recent videos.

That's when the light went off lol. Finally understood. Of course the simple solution for this is to make the livestream unlisted after it has processed.
Do you set them to public again after the next video is uploaded or just leave them unlisted?

Last edited:

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
For me it was when I realized that I needed to find a smaller niche or even a sub niche to a smaller niche. That's when my channel really stated to pick up and get views. As a small channel it's almost impossible to compete in crowded niches with much larger channels.

OP
OP
SILTHW

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
For me, it was during one of Daniel Batal's stream where he said to ask people questions in the comments to help stir a conversation. I was like, "Wow! Can't believe I never thought about that!" XD
That's an interesting one. And easy to test!

For me it was when I realized that I needed to find a smaller niche or even a sub niche to a smaller niche. That's when my channel really stated to pick up and get views. As a small channel it's almost impossible to compete in crowded niches with much larger channels.
I like this one. I've been in my niche professionally for a while and I know there is demand, but for me its reaching that audience on a different platform. It feels slow because its a niche. Your subscriber count makes this observation very motivating!

:)

Reactions: Ater

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Do you set them to public again after the next video is uploaded or just leave them unlisted?
I leave them unlisted. If it was important to keep around I would just make a playlist of unlisted livestreams and that would allow them to be rewatched as needed.

Reactions: BraveStar

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
For me, in more recent months it's been about understanding the relationship between impressions and CTR. I'm an artist so "Data" has always been like maths to me, it takes me a long time to understand, and for the longest time I thought having a 5 or 6% CTR was amazing, but as @Andrew pointed out more and more this year in tubebuddy streams, that gradually made more and more sense, is that impressions is super important, because 5% of 100 impressions isn't very good, it means only 100 people have been shown the thumbnail. So it's important to get the impressions up. More impressions leads to more chances to get views, then once your impressions are in the thousands, THEN the ctr percentage becomes more important and gives a better indication of the performance of your video and thumbnail as a first impression.

my "oh!" moment of 2019 was the importance of using longer term keywords to rank better. It's near impossible to rank number 1, for "dinosaurs" seems "Dinosaurs" encompass dinosaur art, dinosaur fossils, dinosaur games, dinosaur movies, dinosaur comedy... and just like "art" encompasses dinosaur art, sculpting art, drawing art, photographic art, traditional painting... millions upon millions of different videos fall under "Art" so using a single word tag is kind of pointless on youtube. "drawing a dilophosaurus head" is far more specific and far more likely to get me suggested as a search result... and now after changing my mindset, I'm ranking in more areas.

Also the importance of using suggested videos in your own descriptions, pinned comments and suggested videos at drop off points in videos.

Growing Up Walls

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
growingupwalls.com
Subscriber Goal
Was watching the reviews live stream today and it was pointed out that one of the people being reviewed didn't have their channel name in their channel tags. And, of course, neither did I. Not to mention the abbreviation that I use that many people know the channel by...

Wait...what? That's a thing we should be doing? I have not heard this before! lol Okay, now I feel silly! (And I have taken note!)

Ooooh, I had always wondered why livestreams would sometimes stay in my Watch Later queue if I added them there accidentally when they were playing. That makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it. I haven't gotten up the nerve or found a reason to do a livestream yet, but when I do, I will remember this.

I'm so new, so right now everything feels like an "Oh, yeah...duh" moment! Thank you, everyone, for sharing!! :heart:

• Haha
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Everything about my channel building journey has been a ΓÇ£oooh, yeah......dohΓÇ¥ moment, and will be expecting more as I discover new tips and new features and so on, as Captain Joe says, ΓÇ£a good pilot is always learningΓÇ¥, for me, a good creator is always learning :)