• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice How to restart a youtube channel?

leroygaming

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am thinking of restarting my channel and set up on a set game/character for a bit. It is only to get to decent viewers and subscribers. I don't think me doing a variety of games is working too well for my channel.

A little background of my channel:

I am a gamer who plays a variety of games, and I enjoy sharing my gameplay, among others. A few of my games are unstable, and I am unable to create content thoroughly generally. I use another game to create content, along with my other game.

Was wondering if a mix game channel would be good or stick with one game until I get decent subscribers, viewers, or both?

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I think sticking with one is better because then your subscribers and viewers know what they are signing up for when they come to your channel. When you start to branch out into more than one game You could also try to stick to the same genre of games that the first game you play on your channel is ( simulator games, fighting games, etc). That way itΓÇÖs not an entirely different type of game

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
This question isn't about TubeBuddy so I've moved it to YouTube Strategies. I'm not that well versed with gaming channels, but as long as the theme of the videos aren't too differant it should be fine. If I subscribed to a call of duty channel and they start doing FIFA videos, I'm gonna be like "hey... what's FIFA got to do with call of duty?" but if you wanted to play, say, DOOM... that's a first person shooter, and so is call of duty, so it's not a huge huge differance and I think your subscribers are more likely to respond. I don't think you need to "Restart" though, just take your channel into the new direction and see how it plays out.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Here's my opinion as a gamer myself. Today's YouTube sadly tends to be more about specific content than it is about the creator themselves. That's not to say the creator can't make it about themselves. The trick, in my opinion, is to start with one trending game but try to make it about you more than about the gameplay itself. Find a way to get people to watch for you as much as for the game and slowly win them over to a point that you could start switching to other games and hopefully maintain the views and subs from those who are there for you more than the content itself. Otherwise, you'll get stuck making content for a single game that will eventually wear out and you'll struggle to maintain an audience that was there for the game and not so much you.

So in essence use a game that will get you the views and use that opportunity to make yourself the content. Get viewers to come for you more than the games. I'll be honest, I am not sure how one does this in 2020. Today's popular YouTubers built their brands about themselves before viewers switched from the creator to the content. But I still believe it can be done. There are some who still pull it off.

Reactions: LouisFrost

LouisFrost

Aspiring Hero
TubeBuddy User
Here's my opinion as a gamer myself. Today's YouTube sadly tends to be more about specific content than it is about the creator themselves. That's not to say the creator can't make it about themselves. The trick, in my opinion, is to start with one trending game but try to make it about you more than about the gameplay itself. Find a way to get people to watch for you as much as for the game and slowly win them over to a point that you could start switching to other games and hopefully maintain the views and subs from those who are there for you more than the content itself. Otherwise, you'll get stuck making content for a single game that will eventually wear out and you'll struggle to maintain an audience that was there for the game and not so much you.

So in essence use a game that will get you the views and use that opportunity to make yourself the content. Get viewers to come for you more than the games. I'll be honest, I am not sure how one does this in 2020. Today's popular YouTubers built their brands about themselves before viewers switched from the creator to the content. But I still believe it can be done. There are some who still pull it off.

I agree with this.

OP
OP
leroygaming

leroygaming

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

So, would it hurt for me to restart my entire channel? I was thinking of restarting and creating a channel for one game and then lead to another game after getting views.

As of right now, COD was my primary, but the game is having issues, so I was switching to Spyro, Crash, and some Siege during the downtime for COD.

LouisFrost

Aspiring Hero
TubeBuddy User
My opinion, stick to your channel mate.

You already invested alot of videos on it. think about it this way, once you go big people tend to go back to your old videos and see where you started.

Having these older videos can be seen as a stepping stone depending how you look at it.

That "Damn, I really did improve" moment when you glimpse back 3-5 years from now.

You could probably just make a video of your channel rework and start working one 1 game.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Not to mention, you can always take the videos you no longer want to promote private, redo some playlists and make the channel look completely different without giving up your view count.

Reactions: LouisFrost
OP
OP
leroygaming

leroygaming

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
In my opinion, stick to your channel mate.

You already invested a lot of videos on it. think about it this way, once you go big people tend to go back to your old videos and see where you started.

Having these older videos can be seen as a stepping stone depending on how you look at it.

That "Damn, I really did improve" moment when you glimpse back 3-5 years from now.

You could probably just make a video of your channel rework and start working one 1 game.

True, I already can see the difference. Though, I do need some work on my video editing skills. I am watching tutorials. I am limited to what my CPU can handle. Ryzen 5 3600 is a beast, but it isn't any Ryzen 7 3700 or 3800x when it comes to video editing.

Not to mention, you can always take the videos you no longer want to promote private, redo some playlists and make the channel look completely different without giving up your view count.

Good point. Or I could take them and make a "Wow, my channel looked like that?" type of video. or see what I could salvage and use on Tik Tok or such.