• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

A/B Testing This thumbnail is old and needs updating

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
This thumbnail is from 2015 before I knew much about YouTube practices. I like many new youtubers thought you needed your title in the thumbnail, because that's what everyone else did. I didn't even have tags. I just plopped the artwork in there, and figured I'd put the title in the thumbnail and let it be.

5 years later it has 274k impressions since it's launch with a 4.5 ctr.
that said, 28days it's had 7k impressions and 3.2 ctr using NO good tags.

So I've went and improved all the tags so they're ranking fairly well, but the thumbnail is aweful. Too much text! If people see it showing up, I don't expect anyone to click it when there's better thumbnails out there, so the first thing that came to my mind is my rule for myself "less than 4 words"

Initially I thought I could rely on a larger image alone, but it's black and white and no colour... so I figured I'd experiment with some yellow as that's also a running theme in my latest thumbs and banner, but yellow isn't as powerful at grabbing attention. So I figured I'd add an under layer UNDER my raptor, of a red outline, and then shuffle it over a little bit, so only one side of the outline is showing, that way it isn't overbaringly red. I want it tasteful, not garish.

Then I went about playing with the type, trying a whole bunch of things. started playing with some red... then I thought about how I've seen some people "borrowing" Nick Nimmin's banner style in his thumbs. Proving that banners work, but are overly copied... so I tried messing around with a banner that's off from the typical banner behind the text style.

Then I'm like "maybe I should put an arrow in there" and thought "hmm... my boarder is yellow, it works... my raptor has a red line... that works... the banner behind the text works... maybe if I extend the yellow around INTO the banner, and try and be clever by making the arrow merge in with the banner, and use the banner to outline the arrow and see how that goes.

This was all an experiment, but if the A/B test yeilds good results, I might start implementing this banner style into future thumbs.

But while I wait for the A/B results, I'd like to know your thoughts. Do you think the banner looks professional?
thumbs.PNG

Reactions: kitchen c/o ammama

Dr Pixel Plays

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Your new thumb is definitely an improvement. I just think that the text could use more work. It's too small for most places. Make it bigger, and if you can't try using an easier readable font.

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Definitely the new one is much better.

Instead of writing "Drawing a Raptor"... you can use a Pencil Symbol ( you have shown one example long back ) and then write the word (bigger font ) "Raptor".

Just my thought.

Reactions: Dr Pixel Plays

Etypical

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I agree with others on this thread, the new thumbnail looks great ΓÇö I'd definitely click on that one compared to the original! The increased contrast between the dark lines of the drawing and the white paper helps it stand out, and the colours make it pop too. I'd suggest making the text bigger, though, because if you were using YouTube on a mobile device (and about 70% of users do!) then it might be a bit difficult to read.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Just a thought. You lost the "Part 1" with the new one. Do you think it could be because people might have wanted a series vs single video?

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Just a thought. You lost the "Part 1" with the new one. Do you think it could be because people might have wanted a series vs single video?
Well, it is a 2 part series, but I figured people were more interested in the how to draw the dinosaur section rather than the details, because drawing skin and details is a fairly niche part of drawing and can be boring to some people, the part 2 has significantly less. Here's an example of all my 2 part series on just raptors, and the how to draw always does better. BUT there might be something to be said about leaving the "part 1" in. more experimenting to do :)

series.PNG

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Well, it is a 2 part series, but I figured people were more interested in the how to draw the dinosaur section rather than the details, because drawing skin and details is a fairly niche part of drawing and can be boring to some people, the part 2 has significantly less. Here's an example of all my 2 part series on just raptors, and the how to draw always does better. BUT there might be something to be said about leaving the "part 1" in. more experimenting to do :)
That is really interesting! I'm genuinely surprised to see that much view difference.

My comment probably says more about my viewing style than anything else. I prefer shorter, more focused multi-part episodes over a single long one. But given how YouTube has implemented chapters, maybe I'm in the minority.

Reactions: Beanie Draws