• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Audio Gear How to TEMPORARILY dampen the audio in the room with the acoustic foam

Xarty

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
My room has some echo, so I need to dampen it with the acoustic foam, but I'm afraid that if I glue it to the wall, there would be particles of it still attached after the removal.

I look for a cheap way to get the foam on my walls, but without hurting them.

I can't get these big foam screen that you can move - they're too big for my room.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
The easiest cheap way is to go to Amazon (or similar) and buy a bunch of padded moving blankets. They are very cheap. throw them over everything and hang them using curtain rods, or anything cheap you can use

You will be shocked at how much difference it makes for very little money.

Funny thing is this. If you buy "acoustic blankets' you are buying the exact same thing as moving blankets but paying more because they are called "acoustic blankets"

Reactions: Growing Up Walls

Dr Pixel Plays

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I once saw a video titled "How to Make High Performance Sound Absorption Panels for $5". Maybe that's a cheap alternative if you want to DIY it.

I'm not sure if it helps to remove echo, but if you are running an Nvidia graphics card you could try RTX Voice.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Andrew actually has a video on using moving blankets for sound dampening.

I'll actually expand a bit on my recommendation around this. For many years I used to do film competitions. 48 hour films was one of my favorites. Since everything had to be setup fast and couldn't be permanent, we made extensive use of moving blankets, clip-on work lights (like the $5 from Lowes/Home Depot), cheap clamps, PVC pipe, etc. We were heavily inspired by Robert Rodriguez's "Rebel Without a Crew". We've even done the "wheelchair as a dolly" stuff.

This stuff doesn't have to be expensive. And often the cheap solution works as well, if not better, than the expensive one.

Reactions: BraveStar

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I'll actually expand a bit on my recommendation around this. For many years I used to do film competitions. 48 hour films was one of my favorites. Since everything had to be setup fast and couldn't be permanent, we made extensive use of moving blankets, clip-on work lights (like the $5 from Lowes/Home Depot), cheap clamps, PVC pipe, etc. We were heavily inspired by Robert Rodriguez's "Rebel Without a Crew". We've even done the "wheelchair as a dolly" stuff.

This stuff doesn't have to be expensive. And often the cheap solution works as well, if not better, than the expensive one.

I've even seen people go MacGyver using everyday household things to create camera gear like remote control cars with camera mounts to move cameras, record players as carrousels to spin products while recording and even a homemade teleprompter with some glass, cardboard and an old tablet with scrolling text software.

Randomlifestylevlog

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
If you want to go down that route get some bass traps to put in the corners of your room. Then you want to apply acoustic panels at head height behind your speakers and on the wall opposite of them. Have the speakers facing slightly towards you. Hopefully this makes sense but this will help reduce unwanted frequencies bouncing around