• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Answered COMPETITION vs OPTIMIZITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futbolleague

Subscriber Goal
If I find a keyword that has really high competition but excellent to be optimized for, does this give me the chance to rank that keyword in the top search result although it has high competition?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Sounds like you might benifit from this video. Andrew talks of a traffic light system, and going with a high competition to me sounds slightly dangerous because the more competition there is, the harder it is to be picked out of the competition by the viewer. If your thumbnail isn't as good as others, you may rank high for a highly competitive keyword, but someone else's video might perform better for that keyword simply for having a better thumbnail. If 1 million people make a video about dogs, it's going to be hard to be the best out of 1 million videos. But if there's only 10 videos that cover a topic, you have much better chance of ranking for it. I'm still not that well versed in terms of optimization so this will be something for me to learn as well, but from my understanding, you want to be very careful targeting high competition keywords.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoEh7qwQbNc

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
There is a chance you can rank for that keyword, but be aware you are going to have to beat every video which has already proven successful for it. And if they have hundreds of thousands of views you are going to have a hard time competing with that, regardless of how well you have optimized for it.

Reactions: Futbolleague

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Sounds like you might benifit from this video. Andrew talks of a traffic light system, and going with a high competition to me sounds slightly dangerous because the more competition there is, the harder it is to be picked out of the competition by the viewer. If your thumbnail isn't as good as others, you may rank high for a highly competitive keyword, but someone else's video might perform better for that keyword simply for having a better thumbnail. If 1 million people make a video about dogs, it's going to be hard to be the best out of 1 million videos. But if there's only 10 videos that cover a topic, you have much better chance of ranking for it. I'm still not that well versed in terms of optimization so this will be something for me to learn as well, but from my understanding, you want to be very careful targeting high competition keywords.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
If I find a keyword that has really high competition but excellent to be optimized for, does this give me the chance to rank that keyword in the top search result although it has high competition?

It does give a chance.

This is correct :)

OP
OP
Futbolleague

Futbolleague

Subscriber Goal
Thank you
I actually went for it and tried it... I ranked first for that keyword for about 2 hours then get pushed down to rank 17
Seems like competition is much more important to youtube than optimization

Status
Not open for further replies.